WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Battle Creek, Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: Who Are You?

I am Jan Winiarski, canvas name jAlida, from Battle Creek, Michigan, "Cereal City," USA. I have been painting for most of my life, the last 10 years in oils, the last year in acrylics and scratchboard.

I only recently joined Wet Canvas as a member, but I have been browsing the site for a couple of years. With the addition of the scratchboard site, I have been here more frequently trying to get a look at what others have been producing in this medium.

I like to expand my scratchboard subjects to include flora, wildlife, people and scenery. Always a lover of water, reflections and light, I am looking forward to learning and growing in depicting these on scratchboard, as well. What I have seen here is AMAZING!

As of today, I am the only known scratchboard artist in this town, but I hope to change that soon. I will be teaching a scratchboard workshop this Friday at our local community college. This is a fun and beautiful medium. I can't wait to see what we will be able to produce this year!

Here is one of my favorites done a few months ago, a 5" x 7" painted with ink. It is titled, Tiger Swallowtail on Butterfly Bush.

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Kokomo, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Hello, my name is Jon Walters and I hail from Kokomo, Indiana. I'm 42, and have art in my genes. I never did anything with it until the age of 40 when I returned to school to finish a degree and had nothing but electives to take. I thought, "hmm...I'll try art".

A co-worker (Freefall, aka Rod-Man) had been raving about scratchboard to me for quite a while. A chance meeting in a craft store eventually led me here.

I haven't completed a fraction of the boards that some of the others on here have, and can't begin to guess how many it would take to achieve that level of expertise.

That being said, I'll post MY favorite board of mine: a week old swan. It's one of my first boards, and I enjoyed doing it.

The first pic will be of my ugly mug, the second of the swan.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Kokomo, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Me
Attached Images

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Kokomo, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

I'll get back with you on the swan. I keep fiddle farting around with it and can't get it small enough to load up. I'll try again tomorrow.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Enthusiast
Southern California

Hails from United States

I'm Heather and I haven't posted in these forums in years,lol. I don't remember there being a scratchboard forum back when I did either.

I am a traditional(clay) sculptor turned digital in the last few years and work making toys, collectibles, concept design and theme park attractions. Since going digital my world has exploded with opportunity. My portfolio can be found at www.hlawless.com.
I used to do scratchboard to relax and am slowly trying to get back into it. If I can figure out how to upload an image I will attach one that I made years ago.

It is so great to see how many people are doing it these days and just how talented a group of people you all are!
Attached Images

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Hi, my name is Liz, and I've only done one scratchboard, currently working on my second. I work mostly in acrylics...decorative folk art (my mentor is Maureen McNaughton). I must say I am in total awe of the work that is in this forum, I hope over time I can be just a good as all of you. Here is a picture of myself as well as a couple of my acrylics.

Liz
Attached Images

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Cleveland, Ohio

Hails from United States

I am Jack, who lives near Cleveland Ohio. I am currently a network engineer but I was a traveling airbrush artist during college. I traveled with fairs and worked in malls and then had a store on the beach in Ocean City New Jersey for a few years. About a year or 2 ago I started scratchboarding. I have attached a couple shirts I did in the past and a couple scratchboards
Attached Images

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Santa Clarita, California

Hails from United States

I am Hector Fernandez. I was born in Cuba, lived in Spain in the early 70s, and ended up in California. Been here since '77. I have been drawing since very young, and took a few classes in college. Have dabbled in pen/ink, oil, acrylics and watercolor. My passion is for scratchboard.

My most recent oil "Beholding Happiness" is attached, and a recent scratchboard "Whiskers" which I had previously posted.
Attached Images

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Loveland, Colorado

Hails from United States

HI I am Rich Cayou of Loveland, Colorado. I was born in 1950 and have never studied art but for the past 12+ years I have been hand cutting and selling two demensional and multiple plain metal art in western and wildlife themes. I am currently trying to transition to scratchboard art and have done one workshop. All help and input on my pieces is greatly appreciated. Here are images of my metal and a scratch piece I did recently.
Rich

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Sinking Spring PA

Hails from United States

My name is Cinda, and I'm in central Pennsylvania. I've been doing scratchboard for about 10 years, maybe 11, and am a little scared to post here, because my work doesn't have the same photo realistic qualities as most of the other work I see here. But, I love scratchboard, and I hope I can find a few like minded folks to share with.http://www.cinda.etsy.com
http://www.cinda6000.deviantart.com

Last edited by ccollins : 07-12-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: add link
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

Hi there! I am Pam Duncombe and I have been doing scratchboard since 2004 and from the first piece, have been hooked and doing it pretty much exclusively. except for the odd commission piece. I live in Northern Saskatchewan in the boreal forest with lakes all around! I'm very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place!

A couple of my favorite pieces. This last year has been a bust as far as new work goes. I normally get the winter off and use that time to get my boards done but have been working since last may, my art gets put aside don't know how you all do it. Work full time and still getting art work done! My hat is off to you! Here's to a more productive year on my part!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Adelaide South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi, I'm Christobel (Pandorea) and was first shown scratchboard in 2007. Originally I thought I would not be bothered with it because it looked to be too fiddly. How things change! I am now hooked. I have lived in Adelaide most of my life, having been born in a small country town north of Adelaide, have travelled a bit overseas (Europe Asia Pacific) and now concentrate on my art and garden which is the source of my art subjects. In the photograph I am standing next to my first and favourite piece which also was the first piece I sold at the prestigious Royal Melbourne Botanic Gardens Art Exhibition in 2008.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

I think it is time to jump in!

Hi my name is Irfan Ahmed and I am 19 years old. I live in Scotland (the country and that always rains) and I have been doing scratchboard since March 2009 to be exact I love this medium because of the amount of detail that can be captured with it and I feel that I got to grips with it early on despite some terrible starts. I am so glad that I came across Wetcanvas.

I have also took up acrylic painting too and I am a newbie at that.

In the future I hope to an established wildlife artist!

My mug shot! I am a lousy photographer of people. (Ignore the light switch no one was on hand to photograph me)

An example of my artwork! My Macaws titled 'Living life on a limb' 12x16.

One of my other favourites. 'Midnight Hunter' 8x10 trade piece.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Far northeast Maine

Hails from United States

Hi,
My name is Linda Crane and I have recently joined WC. What a wonderful community! This is a great forum for me since I love scratchboard and Living where I live, no one else I know works in this medium. I've been looking at the work you all do and I am humbled. I am inspired to start working again in scratchboard. I'll be posting some of my work over the next week or so. Glad to be here.

The artist's job is to express the knowledge that resides in the soul.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Welcome Linda!
"Living where I live, no one else I know works in this medium."

Join the club! We are all here to change that.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.