WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Who Are You?

We had one of these introductory threads before but it had gotten too unweildy. So rules for this one, suggested by Rod-Man ('Freefall' on here, who I'm sure will show himself soon enough) introduce yourself with a bit of history of you, maybe a picture if you feel comfortable and maybe your favourite piece of art that you've done.

Please, no other comments as it gets too long. So in other words, each post should be a person introducing him or herself.

If you've introduced yourself before, please feel free to do so again.

Last edited by PatrickHedges : 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Who Are You?

I'm Patrick Hedges, I was born in Uganda in 1960 and have lived in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, England and for the last twenty years in South Australia. I loved them all but would rather be back in Africa. I'm predominantly a scratchboard artist but also love pastels and am trying a few oils too.

This is me working on location at one of my exhibitions

This is perhaps my favourite piece by me up until now

Last edited by PatrickHedges : 09-20-2010 at 08:49 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Sherman Oaks, CA

Hails from United States

I'll jump in. My name is Cristina Penescu and compared to most folks in this forum, I'm still fairly new to scratchboard, having only done it since age 18/19. I work in acrylics as well, however I find myself doing more and more scratchboard art as of late.

Here's a shot of me next to my large wolf painting, "Perseverance"

It's hard to pick a favorite piece, however I am really pleased with my most recent piece, 'Cautious Observation'. It's an 11x14 pet portrait.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Lord of the Arts
Allegany NY

Hails from United States

Greetings. I'm Susan Threadgill. I was born and raised in Allegany, NY and I currently go to college at SUNY Fredonia as a digital video production major/art history minor. I've been working in scratchboard since February 2009. I also dabble in watercolor and acrylics.

This is a photo of me and the inventor of Ampersand scratchboard Charlie Ewing (to whom I owe my professional artistic career too )

This is an 11x14 board entitled "Soul of a Survivor" Still my fav. piece today, but with my all access pass to tigers I'm sure there are a lot more fun ones in the the future.

-Susan

Art by Susan
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

Hi

I'm Judith Edwards-White, a true blue Aussie. I am self taught and started painting with oils, then acrylics and since 2005 have had 16 published paintings, 3 scratchboards and recently commissioned for my fourth. I discovered scratchart in February of 2008.

This is Sally, just one of my favourite boards.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 06:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Hiya Peeps

I'm Lorna Hannett, born in Regina Sask., raised in Alberta and moved to British Columbia in 2006. I'm a self taught artist, started in 1996 working with acrylics (my first love), watercolor, graphite, pastels and colored pencils. I started with scratch in 2003 (my new love) and am doing it full time now. I'm an active signature member of the Federation of Canadian Artists. Here I am, warts and all.

It's hard to choose a favorite, as each was my favorite while I was working on it and I really enjoyed doing them all but here are a couple that were award winners.

Moonlight Swim 8X10

Tea & Strawberries 11X14

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Last edited by lorna12 : 04-09-2010 at 07:10 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 09:28 AM

A Heartful Howdy to All...Although I tryed to post a picture with my intro and informed by auto response that rules state a person has to post a couple of times before allowed to put pictures. Poor Newbie and now waiting "Faceless".
For the sake of getting started my name is Linda Douglas and delighted to be
in this group of great artists. At present I'm retired and refreshing my art skills
since more materials available, as well the techiques are absolutely awesome.
Anyway look forward to learning and likewise meeting many creative people.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Immortalized
Johnson City, NY

Hails from United States

I'm BethAnn Lubert, born and raised in Broome County, NY. I currently live with my partner Renee and our "kids" 4 rescue dogs and 5 rescue cats. I have been drawing since I can remember and I have been a pen & ink artist since 1987. I also dabble in colored pencil, oils, and within the past year my new favorite medium scratchboard!! I have had formal art training in college but am mostly self-taught. This is me and Penelope
and this is my favorite scratch piece I've done to date.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

Hello. Everyone just calls me RodMan....( old motocross nickname ) I'm a self taught sign painter, pin-striper, helmet, Harley and custom car painter turned SB artist. Born and raised in Indiana. I'm posting "Filigree and Me" 16X20...& "Cock of the Walk" 36X48. Oh, and "Freefall" comes from the 1,700+ skydives I've made.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

Hi, I am Rick Golden from Lakeland, Florida. I started drawing to learn in nov 2006 when I first discovered WC. I work in color pencils and now I am trying to learn scratch board.

I have included 1. my mug
2. peacock 8" X 10" I think
3. 24" X 36" Powder Mill Hill
Attached Images

Last edited by GoldenArt : 04-09-2010 at 02:17 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Colorado

Hails from United States

I'm Cathy Sheeter and presently reside in Colorado, but grew up in small town Eastern Oregon. I did my first scratchboards in junior high and high school on the cheap paper boards. Started to get more serious about doing scratchboard in 2004 after working mostly in graphite for several years. In 2008 I entered my first national juried competitions and since then have been pounding many of the big wildlife shows and now moving into the western art arena. I presently work semi-professionally as an artist, but still keep a day job 3 days a week. I am a signature member of the Society of Animal Artists. I hope to be doing my art full time within the next three years Scratchboard is my primary medium, but I play in graphite, pastels and color pencils from time to time.

Well I am scrambling for a recent pic that has any relationship to art and came up with this one taken with Rod's Iphone when they were here in Colorado in January. That would be Allan (Aces) who I am sure will check in soon, Rodman, and me. The snow leopard poster in the background was my piece (much blown up in size) and it was used not only for advertising, but also as the cover for the catalogue for the show- which was a huge honor!

And a couple of my recent pieces...
"On The Prowl" - 12"x24"

"The Interrupted Drink" - 20"x16"

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Lancashire - England- Uk

Hails from England

Great thread!!
My name is Tracey and I work full time as a Physiotherapy Technical Instructor at our local hospital.I love to dabble with my art. I am self taught and work mainly in graphite and coloured pencil and im just really starting out with scratch art. i have only managed a few pieces so far.I would love to be a full time artist but i have a mortgage to pay and 2 teenagers to feed so until then.......
below is my mug shot and my fav work so far.

Please check out my work on my website ~ Thanks!!http://traceyhollisrowe.moonfruit.com
http://Facebook.com/TraceyHollisRoweArtist
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

My name is Diana Lee. I first tried scratchboard in 1977, but soon after left it behind to be an oil painter, though I did do a board occasionally. I took up scratchboard again, exclusively, 6 or 7 years ago. It is my goal to get scratchboard recognized as a legitimate fine art medium.
I found it difficult to select representational art, but I chose "Homeless, But Not Alone" and "Pewter Pitcher". "Homeless" is not one of my best technically, but I believe it to be my most moving piece. However, "Pewter Pitcher", I think, is technically one of my best.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM
South Florida

Hails from United States
Hey all! Been lurking for a while here. I'm a self taught pencil artist. I've done mostly graphite, charcoal and carbon drawings. I've been trying to get into colored pencils for quite some time now, but find it a bit frustrating. The technique is so much different than drawing with graphite. Well, I stumbled across the scratchboard forum here and have been blown away by all the amazing art here! I definitely want to try scratchboard, as it seems like it could be the best of all worlds.... color, black and white etc, and is seemingly more forgiving and workable than colored pencils.

Any tips or advice for an absolute newb to this medium? I have my supplies on order from Dick Blick, and am waiting for a back-ordered item so I can place my order. I am getting several 'cheap' sheets of scratchboard to practice on, and one 8x12 Ampersand scratchboard for when I feel confident enough to do a real project. I also ordered some scratching tools and ink. I already have a couple of exacto knives. Anything else I might need? Any tips or advice for a pencil artist getting into this medium for the first time?

This is a follow up post to my previous one, as I couldn't submit any of my pics until I had at least 2 posts. Anyway, here's some of the previous art I've done.

Here are just a few examples of some of my art, though it's not scratchboard.... yet!

Bob Marley in graphite

Kurt Cobain in graphite, carbon and charcoal

Waxing crescent moon in pastel

This was my first completed colored pencil drawing. I'm now working on a tree frog. Sorry for the bad scan.

Last edited by Crias : 04-12-2010 at 09:15 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 AM
nKY

Hails from United States

I'm Sabarika, born in 1986, lived most of my life in KY before I moved around to Raleigh, NC then to Johnson City TN and now Birmingham, AL. I love to travel and at one point road tripped for a couple years in my old 1990 Buick hearse before I sold it. I have been drawing since I was little and had no real formal training outside of some art "lessons" I took as a kid (the instructor let me do as I please while the rest of class was given instructions). I am now really down about my art because I spent years wasting my time and not using any references or real life to practice and I think it held me back skill-wise so I'm struggling VERY slowly to regain what skills I think I should have and work on realism. I love drawing animals, especially canines, and trying new media..I upgraded from color pencil to markers and LOVE using my Copics, but I also want to try acrylic and I am learning to have great fun with Scratchboard. One day I'd love to be good enough to show my artwork in an art show or even have it put in a local gallery/coffeehouse but until then I'll have to keep working on it..these days I'm lucky to have one or two "finished" pieces a year.

Sadly it seems I am sorely lacking in current photos..

My favorite current art? I really don't have any, I'm highly critical of my work, but I guess I'd say I am fairly satisfied with my first attempt at digital realism using a photo I took of my dog as reference. It's old, a few years back, but still good in my eyes..