WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Sherman Oaks, CA

Hails from United States
Lightbulb Show me your whiteboard work!

I've tried white board/clayboard about 3 times and all failed within the first 30 min. And when I say failed, I mean it was such a train wreck that nothing could save it. I tried to use inks and watercolor applied via a brush and every single time, even after it dried, the results were very gummy when I tried t scratch it out. It would look absolutely awful and didn't provide the fine, clean lines that I get from scratchboard.That said, I've seen amazing work done on clayboard so I don't want to totally abandon it. I'd like to try a B&W piece using this unique medium, but first, inspire me! Show me what you've created using clayboard! I want to see all the different ways the scratchers here on WC have worked using this medium. I have an awesome idea in mind which I will hopefully get to tackle after I attend from the Southeastern Wildlife Expo in about 2 weeks.

So let's see your stuff! Be it markers, ink, acrylic, etc! I think if enough people submit this can become a handy little reference thread of all the wondrous things that can be done with clayboard.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:25 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Show me your whiteboard work!

Ok, here are four of mine - all fairly simple ones and not time consuming and all small at 5" x 7" Ampersand. However, all of them suffered from the same as yours in that I really struggled with them to start with (except for the cassowary which is too simple to struggle with)

This Bornean Orangutan face is done with cp, marker, pen and ink, watercolours and scratch.

Here's a diptych of two boards which shows the famous Bornean Orangutan 'Kusasi' as a frightened orphan brought to an Indonesian sanctuary in a box, and how he grew up to be king of the jungle. Watercolour, cp, pen and ink and of course scratch.

And finally a cassowary as a test to see if ballpoint pen and scratch can make a good combination. Background in cp and scratch

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 AM

The Japanese Macaque and the Sperm Whale are both 18"x24" and the Border Collie is 8"x10" White Claybord Smooth. I haven't done any work for a while but I am hoping to get back into it soon with some scratchboard.

I've been an admirer of both of you for some time and lurked here and the wildlife sections for a while, very inspiring.
Regards
Gordon
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

The work is amazing here!

Corrins am looking forward to more of your scratchboards they are great!! Am pretty sure that sperm whale looks familiar was it shorlisted in the wildlife artist of the year competition??

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Whiteboard really is a different beast. I takes a whole different mind set for some reason but does give some excellent results. The elk are watersoluable graphite and regular graphite, the other two are colored inks. The sky was airbrushed in the bufflo picture.
Name:  GRAPHITE SCRATCH Elk 4.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  109.5 KB
[ATTACH]Name:  LAZY DAZE.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  135.8 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Last edited by Garbonzo : 01-27-2010 at 09:29 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Colorado

Hails from United States

here's mine...

oh wait I have not managed to complete any to my satisfaction either Good luck!

Gorden- welcome! excellent work. Are you using an airbrush??

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

Gordon, your work is amazing.

Powder Mill Hill 24" X 36"
Attached Images

Last edited by GoldenArt : 01-27-2010 at 10:23 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Firstly, Ahmed, yes it was shortlisted for the David Shepherd WAY competition. It was a great experience getting that far at the first go and going to the show in London last year.

Cathy, Hello and thank you, it's a mixture of airbrush and hairy stick. There's no white used except for when I mix colours. All the white highlights you see are the claybord erased with a variety of blades and erasers. The Collie was done first with one colour and a scalpel.

GoldenArt, thank you, far from amazing but I try. I like the style of Powder Hill Mill. I also really like Garbonzo's buffalo.

Regards
Gordon
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

I've only done two boards, the first I can't find, a 5x7 I did with stadtler Ink pens which are water soluble. I drew a lilly with them , smudged out the ink and scratched. It was highly effective, wish I could find it.
This is the 2nd board an 10x8. I smushed different clayboard inks on with a damp napkin to get the bg, then painted India ink in where the bison was to be, I also used sepia and red clay board ink, with a touch of blue. I alternated the inking and scratching on the bison. The head had to e steelwooled away twice before I got it right. The trick is to use thin layers of ink and build them up with alternate scratching and inking. the initial inking took about half an hour to do building up layers, letting them dry in between layers.

I'm working up to a 3'x4' board of a buffalo hunt when I can afford the board.
In the mean time today I'm starting an 8x10 board of a cactus in bloom getting ready to demo the white board. I'll post it when its done.

I really appreciate you having started this thread. I'll be showing it to my demo group and to a later class, Thank you!!

TJ
Attached Images

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.

Last edited by Trilby : 01-27-2010 at 11:17 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

gordon, your work is really stupendous. But what is a "hairy stick" ?
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

I have used just about every medium on white boards, but I will just show Ampersand inks and color pencil. The first two are ink and the last two are color pencil. There is a sticky with some WIP on white board at the top of this forum, you may want to check them out. I believe a couple of the ones I am showing here are in that sticky.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

My experience with whitebord was in my opinion a complete disaster and I don't think I will use it again unless I cover it in ink and am desperate for a board to work on! I did it as a present for a friend who absolutely loved it but if I had done it as a paid commission I don't think I would have charged for it!!!

However looking at the work here I can see you all get on with it as they look amazing
Name:  BlackCat3.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  88.4 KB

C&C Always welcome
jennyetches.weebly.com

Last edited by jeniart : 01-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States

I'm just playing around with it at the moment. Long time ago Diana had posted a thread about the white board (I think it had canada geese in it) and mentioned sanding the board first. It really worked for me and then, like TJ said, I have to build layers and layers. I really thought a couple of times I'd ruined it, but it seemed to be able to handle lots of scratching and more layers. I know I've done another board, but I have no idea where it is, or even what it was, it was that long ago. I think the Elephant and Red are my only two at this point and one hyena and a black and tan English cocker are coming up. Both of these were done to play with new toys, not to work on white board. Oh yes, Ferrets coming up for Valentine's day.
Karen
Attached Images

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Immortalized
Johnson City, NY

Hails from United States

Awesome stuff--I'm still working on the black boards but I might have to sample some of the white boards in the near future!!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

I have tried a few whiteboards....one was a total disaster and I admitted defeat with it but these 2 aren't so bad.

First...Gordon...beautiful work...I hope we get to see more of your pieces...welcome!

This was my very first one from many years ago with acrylic paints...struggled to scratch on it after. 8X10

This was from last year...I do like how it turned out...done with Ampersand inks...the ink was applied in thinned layers...much much easier to scratch after. 8X10

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Last edited by lorna12 : 01-27-2010 at 02:53 PM.