Home Forums Explore Subjects Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art August Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Monthly Challenge and Chat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    talisman

August 2018 Challenge

GUIDELINES:
        On the first of each month a subject, concept or idea will be posted in a thread entitled Fantasy Science Fiction Monthly Challenge and Chat.

All entries must be new original artworks for this challenge in any style or genre of Fantasy or Science Fiction done in any medium, 2D or 3D.
        Join in the discussion about the project – it’s friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images! Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere such as the Reference Image Library or best of all your own wonderful imagination!
        A ‘reveal’ date for all is 21th of the month – that gives us a little over 3 weeks to make the work, plus few extra days for latecomers, feel free to post till the end of the month, then a new Challenge will be posted.

Please post the finished artwork on this thread at that time.

The Challenge this month is “Visions of the Apocalypse”

This Challenge was suggested by vmrs.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
        C and C always welcome.
        My DeviantArt Gallery

That’s awesome!!

Give Terry my best, hope all is well.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

You all must be busy!

Hope no news is good news and that Terry is doing well.

Good luck to Woody too, your op is coming up.

Think of you all!

Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

WoodyWelch

:cool: This Monday morning, August 6th, at 7:00am, I arrive at the hospital for my first (right) eye surgery. If all goes well, they’ll do the left eye in about a week to ten days later. I’ve been putting the anti-biotic drops in my right eye since Saturday morning as the prelude to surgery.;)

talisman

Woody best of luck on your surgery!

Virginia, Terry and I are back home, to the Ozark Mountains or Dagobah as we call it. Coming home from the airport as it got darker the sounds of frogs, insects and various creatures was deafening!
                Physical Therapy at the local level starts tomorrow.

C and C always welcome.
                My DeviantArt Gallery

Glad you’re back home! I had a hospital adventure too. Had a bleeding issue, I’m fine now but it was a bit scary.

Sampson, the dog in my avatar has surgery this week to remove a tumor, poor guy. Hes had them removed before but this one burst open, they’re not sure why. We came home and there blood everywhere, it didn’t seem to bother him at all but it was gory. Maybe he was trying to give me inspiration for this month’s theme!

Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

WoodyWelch

Woody best of luck on your surgery!

Thanks! It’s almost 1:00am as I write this….will be at the hospital for the first surgery in about five and a half hours from now!! :clap:

Been thinking of you all day!! Hope all went well. :)

Find me on Instagram
                    Find me on Facebook

Attalus

Good luck, Woody

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

talisman

Woody I hope the surgery went fine.
                            Virginia hope you are feeling better.

C and C always welcome.
                            My DeviantArt Gallery

WoodyWelch

This is an artist who is NOT OF THIS EARTH (Those of you who are monster kids will get the joke)….to the others, I had cataract surgery on my right eye yesterday and am in the process of healing….they gave me a plastic eye cup to wear when I am sleeping so I don’t unconsciously rub out all the good work. And….they gave me these cool wrap around shades to wear for the week…when I go outside in the daylight. So for the next six days I get to play Paul Birch.

The whole experience was fun. I had to fill out extensive paperwork, signing my name as the government knows me…JOHN F “WOODY” WELCH…… Esquire, Mutherfugger!!! I was taken into the world of SCRUBS (the tv show) …well it felt like it….and was told to strip down to my underwear (I wore tighty whities because I didn’t want to cause a scene with my Baevis and Buttthead boxer shorts. Oh I thought about it, don’t think I didn’t think about it). I was given a cute little blue floppy hat to wear and some neat socks with treads on the bottoms (In case I needed to skid to a halt or somethin’) and a hospital gown which a nurse tied up in the back for me. I was placed in a comfortable hospital bed which was to become my home away from home for the next couple of hours.

For about twenty minutes I had distaff Asian staff crawling all over me putting drops in my eyes, taking my blood sugar readings which were normal and my blood pressure which was high. Well, I’m not used to being a guest star on Dr Kildare for God sakes so that’s to be expected. One girl got me ready for the needle insertion in the back of my hand.

“You’ll feel a little prick.” she warned. I didn’t feel it at all. I told her that it was good and that I have felt much bigger pricks than that. (…..shut up.)

They put a constant stream of saline through my vein to keep it opened and then after much ado, wheeled me down the hall into the operating room. More hustling and busting. They strapped me down, arms at my side. Strangely I was very calm. Especially since I was going to have someone poke me in the eye with needles, which is one of my four worst fears….being set on fire, having my willie cut off, and being beaten to death my Serena Williams as the other three.

They put the microscope device on my head and all I could see were three lights. I was told to fixate my vision on the lights. They kept putting drops in my eye to keep it moist….other drops to keep the pupil dialated…and still others to keep the eye numb so that I wouldn’t feel the surgeon doing his filet work.

They kept the eye opened with what I like to call, and so I do, the optical device used on the eyes of Alex in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

The last bit was injecting antibiotics into the eye….that was the only sensation and it felt like , well, almost nothing, but I could tell something was there.

Then I get wheeled back into recovery. The drug which they were giving me to keep me calm was such a tiny dose that I was unaware I was given anything.

Anyway it was virtually a fairly easy thing and in about two weeks I get the other eye done and a couple of weeks after that I get new glasses. The effect is, my eyesight will be about where it was when I was in my twenties..

The aftermath is fun. The day and night was strange because my right eye was seemingly tinted blue….this is because cobalt and cyan are basically thinnish beams in the spectrum and the iris isn’t yet ready to focus yet (hence the cool shades) and it is like leaving a camera shutter open too long….you get ultra-violate contamination and such on the film…a color you can’t see with the naked eye, but which will make gray things pink and so on. Also, with the iris in open hibernation like that, everything is VERY bright and there is no focus so it looks like you’re looking through a smudgy pane of glass.

This morning the iris began to focus a bit….the blue was gone and I can kinda read with the eye. The LEFT eye however is a slight yellowish color like looking through watery beer. That’s the left cataract and it’s hilarious to go back and forth, closing my left eye and seeing a clean sparkling world, and closing my right eye and, looking only through the left, seeing….well, the BLADE RUNNER cityscape.

It’s hard to type and worse to read because my binocular vision is in conflict. But it’s not impossible obviously ’cause I wrote this.

Oh and I have the three prescription drops they gave me and have to zero them into my eye every four hours….

And that is about it for my first day after the first surgery.

Look at you, you handsome devil! You are rocking those glasses!

So glad it all went well. I try to steal as many of those socks as I can, I hoard them, they are so comfy.

What a great story too. You have the gift of words. :lol:

Find me on Instagram
                                Find me on Facebook

WoodyWelch

:heart: :wave:

talisman

Woody sorry you have to wait two weeks for the second eye.

Mine was only one week. They did an in house re-do of my prescription bifocals. Clear at the top and my +2.25 at the bottom for my left eye. Then after the right eye I got brand new eye-wear. Still need my bifocals but I could “Legally” dive without them but I do not like that at all, I want to see better than “legal”.:eek:
                                        At least in dry California your overnight plastic eye cover won’t steam up like mine did. :lol:

Nice photo, very handsome and cool Shades!
                                        I hope you don’t get many floaters, it looks like a bunch of black birds and/or snakes in your eyes. They go away after a week or so, although I still get one once in a while.

C and C always welcome.
                                        My DeviantArt Gallery

Attalus

:thumbsup: Congrats,Woody

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.