Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Advice on grey toned drawing paper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    tryingtodraw

Hi everyone, I’m taking an online drawing course that recommends students to use a grey toned paper. Canford Dreadnought grey to be specific. Unfortunately that’s not something that’s available here so I’ll have to order. In searching I was surprised that finding grey toned drawing paper wasn’t that easy, since most of the better drawing I’ve been seeing lately are often on a grey or tan base paper.

So I’m curious to know what toned papers specifically for drawing are people using? Is there a huge difference using pastel paper, which seems to be quite textured?

Thanks!

PamSav

Sorry, I’m not an experienced artist so I can’t help with any advice. I can only speak for my own preference and that is for drawing I much prefer a white background. I’m experimenting with coloured/tinted paper for my coloured pencil work but haven’t tried it just for grahite drawings. The pastel papers I’ve used so for with my coloured pencils vary in texture a great deal. The make I like best so far is Canson Mi-Tientes because it has a honeycomb surface on the “right” side but the other side will also take coloured pencils well and is much smoother. It also comes in a range of grey tones and earth tones.

Pam
            My Art Blog - My Digital Scrapbooking Blog
            My work can always be seen at higher resolution in My Flickr Gallery

We have a few artists here who use toned paper – most by far use plain white. The techniques for using toned paper are actually fairly different from white paper because you have to use chalk or pastel for the whites instead of using the white paper to help with that. For realism you would want the smoothest paper you can get but beyond that I really don’t know much. I’m sure some of our members who use toned paper will stop by and offer their suggestions.

janinco

J.D. Hillberry recommends the back of hot press watercolor paper for drawing. If I want a toned surface I just do a watercolor wash on the paper first. I’ve seen David Kassan pour coffee over paper to tone it. I don’t think that’s considered archival, though :-)

It looks like Diverse carries several brands of watercolor paper. It needs to be hot press for drawing, and some good watercolors for toning are burnt umber or Payne’s Gray (very diluted). I tape or staple 140 lb (300 gsm) paper to a board so that it won’t buckle after it dries. 300 lb (640 gsm) doesn’t need to be secured but it costs a lot more money.

Strathmore makes a nice toned gray or tan drawing paper. I think that’s carried in many countries. This is from Amazon UK:
                https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Art-Strathmore-Sketch-Spiral-12-inch/dp/B008D2TUYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496173651&sr=8-1&keywords=strathmore+grey+toned+sketchbook

Jan

I purchased a video from David Kassan where he demonstrated the Canford gray paper, and how to work with charcoal. I tried on several works and the advantage is that you can apply many layers of charcoal and also white chalk.
                It has a good texture and also you can uses other colors like sepia chalks.
                https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1389069

Hello, tryingtodraw, and welcome to WetCanvas! It is rather difficult to find gray-toned paper, especially heavy, good quality paper. I sometimes work on gray paper, and my favorite brand is Strathmore Artagain paper. It’s not very heavy paper, but it holds up pretty well to my ink and marker drawings, which is what I usually use it for. Unfortunately, it’s only available in a package of assorted tints; I haven’t been able to find a pad of all gray paper of this brand. But you find it Artagain paper pads here, if you’re interested. http://www.dickblick.com/products/strathmore-artagain-pads/

I have used gray pastel paper (I think it was Canson brand). It’s not too bad, but if you’re going for smooth, clean drawings, the texture may be troublesome. Upon searching a little more at dickblick.com, I’ve found this, which may interest you. I haven’t tried this particular pad, myself, so I can’t say how it is. http://www.dickblick.com/products/strathmore-400-series-gray-scale-pads/

I hope this helps. We’d love to see your drawings! :)

Jenna

My website: https://www.thecozyred.com/

tryingtodraw

Thank you all for the very helpful responses. Yes, in this course the main work is done with graphite pencil, but a white pastel pencil is also used. I rather like that look, it sort of adds a bit of an artistic flair to the realistic style the course it working towards.

I’d not thought of coloring my own paper, something I might try down the line. For now I’ll order the recommended paper, it helps to see that other artists are using the same, I really enjoyed looking at David Kassan’s YouTube channel, something to look at more in the future perhaps.

My own drawing background is mostly abstract art with absolutly no skill at drawing living things, so I’m hoping over the next few years to get to the point I can draw recognisable faces. But I’m truly starting from zero with that. That’s one of the reasons I choose the course I did, as it starts from the very bottom, and builds up.

Lines, shapes, geometric objects to start with. So I don’t think it’s terribly interesting to post, but seems like a great trajectory to building drawing skill.

Don’t look at the geometric shapes as boring because they will teach you about how light works and perhaps more importantly, how shadows work. And the living bodies are full of geometric shapes. Eyes, for instance and heads .. arms are cylinders .. geometry is everywhere. So think about that when you get to them and don’t let yourself want to rush through it because you will run across all of it again when you get to drawing your goals.

tryingtodraw

Oh I don’t think of it as boring at all! Just might be boring for you all to see, the doing is another thing altogether.

We don’t worry much about boring here … many people look at the postings but only a few tend to comment … some are compliments only but others will make suggestions for improvement. In any case all are positive regardless of boredom. :lol:

tryingtodraw

Ok, thanks I’ll take that into consideration!

katwalk

If you are in the US another option for grey toned paper is Stonehenge, but perhaps you would find their grey too light, there is a tan how ever that is about the color of a paper bag. I love drawing on Stonehenge, it is heavier paper than the Strathmore toned papers, has a bit of tooth so should take charcoal well if you want to try that.

Anyway it is another option if you are in a part of the world where it is sold. Stonehenge is a US made paper. Though some is sold in Great Britain.

kevinwueste

Hi everyone, I’m taking an online drawing course that recommends students to use a grey toned paper. Canford Dreadnought grey to be specific. Unfortunately that’s not something that’s available here so I’ll have to order. In searching I was surprised that finding grey toned drawing paper wasn’t that easy, since most of the better drawing I’ve been seeing lately are often on a grey or tan base paper.

So I’m curious to know what toned papers specifically for drawing are people using? Is there a huge difference using pastel paper, which seems to be quite textured?

Thanks!

The paper that I find that can serve the widest array of uses is Canson Mi-Tientes Paper. It has one side that is more bumpy ( has a tooth) and the label side that is smoother. This paper has been employed by myself and many art-nerds to get super-high-quality realism ( multi-hundred-hour drawings) all the way to gestural studies ( 20 minutes or whatever the user decides).. It comes in over 20 colors,and may be easily purchased in the US and Europe. I find it very flexible as a paper and it also can withstand some abuse!

The Strathmore toned papers – I don’t love them because there is a clear “+” pattern to their tooth/weave. (the Mi-Tientes has a more random tooth). Artagain paper by Strathmore is useful for Graphite and pastel – but has almost no tooth so is less useful – typically – for charcoal. Also, the Artagain paper has “flecks” of tone in it.. which can be beautiful or drive you crazy – depending on the textures you are after!

I hope that add’s to the help you have received above!

Kevin

here are a few of my class demos on toned paper.. ( both of these are from the live model)..

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                                    Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                                    http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                                    "kevinwueste" on instagram

tryingtodraw

Actually that was super helpful and love the drawings as well. Canson is pretty easy to find here, can’t hurt to pick up a few sheets to test out anyway.

talisman

I have used the Strathmore Toned Gray, I like it and have done several artworks on it. I bought the Tan as well but have never used it, I want to but I never find the right subject…maybe it’s just me.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                                            C and C always welcome.
                                            My DeviantArt Gallery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.