Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Advice – how to bring the vibrancy back in artwork

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lindap2

Hi,

I don’t know if I have the right area within this forum as I’m working in coloured pencil but they are waterbased.

What I notice is that they look vibrant when still drying, but, as soon as they dry to go ‘flat’.

The question is: do you know of a spray I can use to bring back the vibrancy of the colour please? I am still going to put the artwork behind glass afterwards.

Many thanks xxx

KarenESP

Someone who used Prismacolors, he told me that the Prismacolor finishing spray used to bring out the color of his work. I never tried that brand yet.

lindap2

Thank you Karen – I’ll google Prismacolor finishing spray x

KaySilver

I find the same thing with my watersoluble pencils. Now I make sure that everything looks WAY TOO VIBRANT AND BRIGHT (!) before it dries, to counteract that fading effect. Also, layering, and finishing off with dry coloured pencils works for me.

I’d be very interested to hear if the spray works – please do let us know once you’ve tried it!

Pingpongfan

If you look up Ester Roi Glassless Framing you will see that she uses a Golden acrylic varnish. I think that the varnish would bring back the vibrancy. You would have to test it first.
                        Vena

faminz

I always spray with a gloss clear fixative varnish after completing a car. It gives a nice shine to what is a man made polished object after all. I’m not picky as to any special varnish, I just use a local NZ art shop product called chroma spray (I think..)

KarenESP

If you look up Ester Roi Glassless Framing you will see that she uses a Golden acrylic varnish. I think that the varnish would bring back the vibrancy. You would have to test it first.
                                Vena

I wonder if they have that in a spray.. some of my work has dry aquarelle pencil on it… Also the Golden brand is a slow drying acrylic, so it will take a while to dry, I would suppose.

Pingpongfan

Karen, Golden MSA archival spray varnish. She uses several coats of Prismacolour spray fixative before the varnish. Wish I knew how to post the link but I don’t, so you will have to look up Ester Roi to read how she does it.
                                    Vena

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.