Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Caran d’Ache Pablo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I went to my local art store a couple days ago, and noticed they started selling Caran d’Ache Pablo colored pencils. I’ve never had an opportunity to try these pencils so I bought a few open stock to test them. :clap:

They are quite expensive (not Luminance expensive, but still expensive :lol: ) so I only bought 9 pencil to test them out. Trying to find a versatile palette with the least number of pencils is a bit challenging. To make it harder, I only allowed myself to choose from the colors that had the top lightfast rating (I love pencils that put the lightfast rating directly on the pencils). I probably stood at the pencil display for a half hour before I finally made my selection. I stood there so long, another customer thought I worked there and inquired where the glue was at lol. Here are the colors I finally ended up buying:

White 001
    Ivory Black 496
    Purplish Red 350
    Cobalt Blue 160
    Canary Yellow 250
    Night Blue 149
    Mahogany 067
    Hazel 053
    Olive Black 019

I brought them to work with me and made this very quick sketch to test them out:

The whole sketch is only about 4 inches tall so I didn’t have much room for detail. Plus I was at work and just wanted to pass the time. They blend very well which is really nice, especially since I didn’t have a true green, orange, or purple to work with. I would like to play with them more, but one day I’d love to buy a full set :)

KaySilver

Your frog is adorable, peeping out there! It’s a lovely sketch.

I absolutely love Caran D’Ache Pablos – they are really super quality.

I use them alongside/together with my Faber Castell Polychromos. They cover the white of the paper more fully than Polychromos, so they are great for a first layer. They have a wax pencil feel but actually the wax content is low, so they are not prone to wax bloom like Prismacolors.

They have some colours different to the Faber Castell range too. I particularly like some of the greens, which together with the Polychromos colours, make a great selection for botanical work.

Mrs. Leadhead

Pablos do have wax, but the quality of the Caran d’Ache art waxes is very high. You’re right that they don’t give a wax bloom; one of the company reps said that with excellent wax, the bloom simply does not happen. It’s a matter of waxy chemistry!
            These pencils are great for filling in every bit of tooth of the paper, if that effect is desired. Have fun with them!
            Kristy

Kristy Kutch
            www.artshow.com/kutch

KaySilver

Pablos do have wax, but the quality of the Caran d’Ache art waxes is very high. You’re right that they don’t give a wax bloom; one of the company reps said that with excellent wax, the bloom simply does not happen. It’s a matter of waxy chemistry!
                These pencils are great for filling in every bit of tooth of the paper, if that effect is desired. Have fun with them!
                Kristy

Yes, the quality of the wax and their unusual manufacturing process both contribute to the quality. Also, the wax content of Pablos is very low (>10% according to Caran D’Ache, compared with >30% for Luminance).

lindaterry

Pablo’s are my favorite pencils. They seem to kind of lay down a lot of pigment. My only complaint is their fleshy pinks seem to be lacking. The lightest pink they have is granite rose and it has grayish tints. There seemed to be so much hype about the Luminance so I bought a white, which is fantastic for blending or adding highlights. Then I added other light colors like Primrose and Titanium Buff….then I just bought the whole set. The lead wears down fast and I had to hunt for a good sharpener just for the Luminance….I ended up using Prisma hand held sharpener. (If anyone knows a good sharpener for Luminance I would appreciate the info) I think Pablo’s are rich in pigment and can get into the tooth of the paper without damaging it so Pablo remains my favorite.

KaySilver

Pablo’s are my favorite pencils. They seem to kind of lay down a lot of pigment. My only complaint is their fleshy pinks seem to be lacking. The lightest pink they have is granite rose and it has grayish tints. There seemed to be so much hype about the Luminance so I bought a white, which is fantastic for blending or adding highlights. Then I added other light colors like Primrose and Titanium Buff….then I just bought the whole set. The lead wears down fast and I had to hunt for a good sharpener just for the Luminance….I ended up using Prisma hand held sharpener. (If anyone knows a good sharpener for Luminance I would appreciate the info) I think Pablo’s are rich in pigment and can get into the tooth of the paper without damaging it so Pablo remains my favorite.

I totally agree with you – I prefer Pablos to Luminance too. They feel more comfortable in my hand, maintain a better point, are easier to sharpen, and have a greater range of colours.

The only aspect where Luminance outshines Pablo (and all other competitors of any brand) is lightfastness. And of course, that’s important, but it’s actually irrelevant unless you’re using only Luminance pencils, because your picture is only as lightfast as the least lightfast pencil you’ve used on it. As soon as one colour fades, the picture no longer looks right.

lindaterry

That’s interesting. I was wondering if you used a fugitive color for the first layer if it would affect the painting if the upper layers were lightfast. Now I know. Thanks for that info, always learning something.

KaySilver

That’s interesting. I was wondering if you used a fugitive color for the first layer if it would affect the painting if the upper layers were lightfast. Now I know. Thanks for that info, always learning something.

I was just thinking of different areas of surface colour in different brands rather than underlayers when I said that, but I think the situation is the same with layers.

I saw a blog post a while ago where someone had done tests on exactly this subject herself because she couldn’t find answers online. I’ve just tried to find it again but I can’t find it (I should have bookmarked it). Does anyone else know the blog post I mean?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.