Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Mini Chernobyl Wolf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    KarenESP

I was over in the mini art forum, then I dislocated one of my fingers… so I have been sticking with minis.. for lack of better than doing nothing, although I wonder if it isn’t just as hard on the finger as full size ???

Anyway… I had a couple of ref pics rounded up, some were much easier than others and I had my son and his gf look at them and they picked this one. One of the hardest. :confused: I am having trouble getting my eyes small enough for mini pics because I am usually trying to stuff too much into the eyeballs.

I thought I would put my work in process up in the cp forum, because then maybe I’ll trying harder. I’ve been using cp mostly, in the ones I’ve tried. Many of my minis have flopped :lol: due to eye size…

This one I started on yesterday, eyes got too big, so now I’m trying it on a slightly larger size, maybe four inches by four or five, we’ll see.

Wow I should really clean my nails. Hard to do anything with this stupid thing on, especially anything involving water because then it just wants to slip off all the time. Doc said six weeks and if you bend it one time, while cleaning your hand or whatever, then you have to start the whole six weeks over. Top joint.

marksmomagain

Oh boy I did that too. I still drew with it, but not as detailed and concentrated as I normally did. Otherwise it would hurt too much.

I have to say, it was really a help for loosening up and not always drawing so tightly…:)

Try working in the opposite hand…:)

Nice sketch too… and I also have to watch eye size when I do minis…

Winnieike2

I was over in the mini art forum, then I dislocated one of my fingers… so I have been sticking with minis.. for lack of better than doing nothing, although I wonder if it isn’t just as hard on the finger as full size ???

Anyway… I had a couple of ref pics rounded up, some were much easier than others and I had my son and his gf look at them and they picked this one. One of the hardest. :confused: I am having trouble getting my eyes small enough for mini pics because I am usually trying to stuff too much into the eyeballs.

I thought I would put my work in process up in the cp forum, because then maybe I’ll trying harder. I’ve been using cp mostly, in the ones I’ve tried. Many of my minis have flopped :lol: due to eye size…

This one I started on yesterday, eyes got too big, so now I’m trying it on a slightly larger size, maybe four inches by four or five, we’ll see.

Wow I should really clean my nails. Hard to do anything with this stupid thing on, especially anything involving water because then it just wants to slip off all the time. Doc said six weeks and if you bend it one time, while cleaning your hand or whatever, then you have to start the whole six weeks over. Top joint.

Hi Karen! I’m very sorry you’ve hurt your fingers! That must have hurt very badly. I hope you heal quickly and completely.
                In the meantime… I don’t know what your drawing set up is like at home, but have you tried those big magnifying glasses that clip on the side of a table or surface that quilters use to do detailed stitching? I don’t think they’re too terribly expensive, that may be a solution for you since your eyesight is an issue.
                I’d really like to see your minis! Please post the end results. The surface you’re working on is small. Have you seen those tiny portraits painted on pendants, or micro mosaics? They’re outstanding! I’m looking forward to see how your drawing progresses.

KarenESP

Try working in the opposite hand…:)

Left hand!!?? Well then maybe I better try impressionism painting. It took a long while to be able to type with it too, but now I can.

KarenESP

have you tried those big magnifying glasses that clip on the side of a table or surface that quilters use to do detailed stitching?

I went and bought myself a pair of reading glasses that are 3.0’s … they work like magnifying glasses. That’s working really good… Thanks for the tip Tammy, they probably won’t work for ppl who have prescription glasses, though. :wave:

KarenESP

Trying to use mostly FAber Castelle’s (FC) for all fine detail because they keep a sharper point.

FC Burnt Sienna.. the middle of the eyeball, iris, isn’t just black…. and on the corners, tiny bit of Prismacolor Burnt Ochra (short one) that has a reddish component that I need.

KarenESP

Then I used PC white under the eyeballs… followed by FC Dark Cadmium Yellow, with FC white on top… still retaining the PC Burnt Ochra on the side for bit of eerie red color.. then it helps me to get a bit of the eye surround in… FC Black

Even though my pic flopped yesterday, least I got the colors worked out.

ONce more of the pupil blackness goes in and the highlights go on, they will look better. One eye is jutting out a bit father than the other…. oh yes, did I mention they think the Chernobyl wolves are radioactive… that should explain any imperfections that you see :lol: ;)

thanks for looking

KarenESP

Same colors.. now I started to lightly fill in the FC black over the pupils leaving room for the light spots….plus where ever else I see it. I also measured and the eyeballs are supposed to be 1/4″ … the eyeballs on my pic were already trying to sneak up and become too big. Again. :confused: Looks better in reality. I am scanning on my cheap, outdated scanner for now, because it’s much faster than taking pics.

KarenESP

Here I lined, very tiny bit, the underneath of the whites of the eyes with this orange pen. that looked ok yesterday…Now I have to shadow the white part of the eyes.

KarenESP

So here, I hit it with a Faber Castelle “Orange Glaze”… but it looked flat to me… where are the eerie eyes? This is why I keep grabbing out my Prismacolors still…..

KarenESP

Here… I took a tiny paint brush and some white, China White Derwent and Derwent Inktense deep blue, scrubbed them on a bit of wet and dry sand paper and painted the eye surround highlights on the eyes… Tapped over them a bit with my FC White afterwards…

Then I took my Prismacolor Canary Yellow, sharpened really tightly and scraped out the glowing highlights again…. That worked because I already had put PC white down under that area knowing that I’d probably have to do that at some point.

Now I am going to leave eyes alone for now, so easy to ruin and go on to the nose. I also roughed in some of the fur patterning on the face that help let me know if the eyes are going to look ok when finished.

KarenESP

Going to try to build up the nose the way I always do.. tiny little circles… PC French Gray 90% which is nearly identical to Sepia, PC Black because I’m running low on FC Black… and PC white that rolled out of view, apparently

KarenESP

PC Sepia turned out to be better than PC French Gray 90%… also I put on some dots with my Sakura Gelly Roll white pen… dried them with the hair dryer and then colored very lightly, sepia over top . This nose is good enough for now, I think.

Skappy

Great job so far

marksmomagain

Looks great. Yeah the left hand remark was meant to be funny lol. When I was hurt I had also broken my wrist. It was so frustrating not being able to draw.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.