Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics color mixing for palomino horse coat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cuttineagle

I was wandering if anyone of you folks out there can help me with color mixing. I have hell of a time with trying to mix the right colors for painting a palomino horse . you know, the golden tints. What colors I need to mix together to get the desired rich palomino color?

[FONT=Georgia]Do what you love to do........because that`s what you do best!

Linee

I would think any rich warm, such as sienna, ochre, cadmium red, cadmium yellow would be a good start. You’d have to tone it down with a compliment, though, or it wouldn’t look natural. I’d probably start with the ochre and add a bit of cad red and sienna.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Linda - C&C always welcome
            Facebook Flickr Etsy

What colors I need to mix together to get the desired rich palomino color?

Well what do you have? ;)

Posting a picture reference would be good also if that’s possible – useful to know exactly what colours you’re aiming for since slight differences might be enough to make you want to approach the mixing differently (how dark or light, more or less yellow, more or less saturated etc.)

At the simplest I’m sure you could approach this with just a yellow earth, a red or red earth and white as a starting point but you’d need to play with other ingredients for the lights and shadows much of the time.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Naples yellow is a wonderful colour for the lights (mixed with a touch of white). I use Liquitex heavy bodied acrylics and they have a terrific colour called quinacridone burnt orange and this mixed with raw sienna is fantastic.
            Like Einion says, a photo would make it easier to give advice.

Chammi
            My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

cuttineagle

I don`t have a reference photo. I just wanna do a palomino horse. Here are samples:

Rastermon

I don’t paint horses, all those sound like good suggestions. But also consider the environment. The lighting will change everything, as you can see in your samples – is it summer? winter? evening? You may well know all this – but I thought I’d chime in.

Comments and criticism always welcome!

cuttineagle

I don`t know much about colors, I just started colors, I am total beginner. so any advise is welcome.

BeeCeeEss

I’ll take a stab at it. Using the top picture as an example, I’s start with some yellow ochre mixed with as much titanium white as you need for the lighter areas. As the color deepens you can add some burnt sienna and some burnt umber. In the darkest shadowed areas, such under the belly, the back part of the rump, etc. you need a dark, dark, somewhat cooler color so I’d mix some ultramarine blue and burnt umber. You can make it lean more to the cool side by adding more ultramarine blue, or lean toward the warm by using more of the burnt umber. The gray of the muzzle area is a more neutral gray which you can get by adding enough white to the dark shadow mixture until it looks right. The mane should be a creamy light color, not pure white. You can add touches of other colors, as needed, but I hope that’s a start.

I notice in the next to last photo, this horse (beautiful, by the way!) has some bright yellow highlights in certain areas that would benefit from an intense yellow, like cadmium yellow light, and even touches of orange.

The bottom photo is very different and more subtle. I’m thinking some raw sienna and naples yellow mixed with white, of course, some darker and cooler mixes where needed.

I’m sure others will have lots of suggestions.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

cuttineagle

Thank you very much Beverly actually all of you, now we`re talking. Soon I will be trying it out. ;0)

cuttineagle

Ok, here is my attempt for palomino:

Let me know, what you think.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • The topic ‘color mixing for palomino horse coat’ is closed to new replies.