Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bobbymac

This is a 12″x16″ on Canson Mi-Tientes using Rembrandt sticks and CarbOthello pencils. The ref photo’s were from the RIL. Thank you to lisilk and sheary for sharing “Strutter” and “Chicks in a row”. C&C’s are most appreciated. Thank you for looking. Bob

I like the composition and the colors on the rooster. Good job.

robertsloan2

This is so great. Wonderful color, love the chick tumbling along beside his dad! Anatomy is fantastic, after the long study I did of our Black Marin rooster I can see every detail and bulge is accurate. He looks so magnificent!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
            Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
            blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

water girl

Fantastic! When you add a story to your painting, you invite the viewer to linger. :thumbsup:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

pprender

Nice job! Beautiful colors. Just one thing which you can take with a grain of salt since I don’t know anything about roosters. His right side appears flat to me and doesn’t look like feathers. Even if it looks this dark in the photo, you may need to add some different values to give it form.

bobbymac

Moises: Thank you for your comment on color and the composition. Composition is something that I have been conscientiously working on over the past year. Prior to that I was not really aware of it.

Robert: Thank you for your comment on anatomy and color. It’s good to know I was able to show the form correctly.

Karen: Thank you for the comment on the story. At first the painting was only going to be the rooster. He had wonderful color and I liked the motion of being in mid stride. But going back to Moises comment on composition, I did not want to just stick him in the middle. So that is where the idea of the chick came in. I could move the rooster over and bring interest in composition and story by adding the chick.

Patricia: Thank you for your comments on color and form. I see what your saying and it may just be the photo but I will take a closer look at the painting. There is a very dark area between his breasts. And there are some deep greens and blues on his right breast as it moves towards the viewers left. I will look at lightening it some to make it push forward some more. It’s always nice to receive a helpful hint to improve the painting.

Donna T

This is wonderful! You brought the rooster and his little “mini me” to life! I like the composition very much and your shadows are beautifully done.

Donna
                            C&C Always Welcome

bobbymac

This is wonderful! You brought the rooster and his little “mini me” to life! I like the composition very much and your shadows are beautifully done.

Thank you Donna. I had fun with the shadows and they seemed to develop easily. I am still not sure about the lit areas of the ground.
                                Bob

Irishwhistler

A really nice rendering.👌

Mike 🍀

pastel65

Wonderful. Love the colors! Pam:wave:

bobbymac
                                            artelahe

What makes this painting, including the rich depth of colors is the rooster’s left foot. What attitude! Nice, nice capture :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                AlyP
                                                I have a white dog and lots of pastels...but are any of them the right color when I need them to be?

apagefineart.com[/SIZE]

bobbymac

What makes this painting, including the rich depth of colors is the rooster’s left foot. What attitude! Nice, nice capture :)

Thank you Aly for you comments on color and attitude. I like to do paintings with a little movement to them.
                                                    Bob

@teulis

Both chick and rooster are beautiful. I agree with Patricia that the shadow side of the rooster looks just a bit off. The sudden change in color and almost solid dark. The chick is partially in ‘dad’s’ shadow, but the shadow doesn’t seem to cast on him. He seems to be in full light. Other than that, both have personalities and attitude – looking at the stances and eyes. Great effect. :thumbsup:

bobbymac

Both chick and rooster are beautiful. I agree with Patricia that the shadow side of the rooster looks just a bit off. The sudden change in color and almost solid dark. The chick is partially in ‘dad’s’ shadow, but the shadow doesn’t seem to cast on him. He seems to be in full light. Other than that, both have personalities and attitude – looking at the stances and eyes. Great effect. :thumbsup:

Thank you teulis. I’ve since reworked the shadow side of the roosters breast and it’s much better. I composited two photo’s for the painting, one of rooster and one of chick. When I placed the chick I felt I was on the boarder line of having the chick in the roosters shadow. But now that you point it out if the chicks shadow merges with the roosters then the chick is in shadow. Yikes! how could I have missed that! Thank you pointing that out. I will look to see if I can correct it without destroying it.
                                                            Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.