WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Question Sealing a tempera work

Can anyone advise me on the proper method of sealing a tempera painting. If there is a method I would appreciate the steps.
Thanks
Gretacm
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Artists Are Never Annoying Until They Come OUT of Their Studios.

Hails from United States
Re: Sealing a tempera work

I've sealed them with spray acrylic. Works well when the painting's dry, though if ET isn't perfectly dry, will develop "fog" beneath the acrylic, basically destroying the painting.

I've heard people have used damar to varnish ET with, but haven't tried it and can't be of help regarding that.

Iconographer's have long used a mix of linseed oil and stand oil to seal their ET icons. The process is rather lengthy, involved and the paint can come loose, ruining the picture. Suggest you do a websearch for "olifa" or alternatively "olipha" to learn more about this.

Good luck!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Hope, Maine

Hails from United States

Golden's MSA varnish and Liquitex's Soluvar varnish will do the job if you want to use a varnish. However, you should let your tempera painting dry for 6 months to a year before varnishing. The Golden and Liquitex websites have complete specifications and directions for their products.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

I would recommend testing out a spirit based varnish before commiting to it on a final work. No varnish is guaranteed to last forever, and in some cases they can alter the work and change the look rather dramatically. Once it's applied to the surface it cannot be removed without removing the paint along with it. Some egg temera users coat the surface with a wax finish, which is a softer surface than a varnish but can offer some benefits.
My Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Hope, Maine

Hails from United States

Yes, it's a good idea to try any varnish on a test piece before using it as a final finish on an important painting. And if you varnish acrylic paintings, you should put down gloss acrylic medium as an isolation coat before the final varnish. Some artists use the acrylic isolation coat over casein paintings, too. Maine artist Alan Bray finishes his casein paintings with Soluvar, a removable varnish.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Artists Are Never Annoying Until They Come OUT of Their Studios.

Hails from United States

Has anyone tried Aqua Net hairspray? I've heard it can be used on watercolors, and wondering if it might be useable on egg tempera?