WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2002, 09:30 PM
Upstate N.Y

Hails from United States
Need Advice on Printers-ASAP Please!

Help! Our printer just died and we need to buy one right away since everyone in the house depends on it ( and my son is in the middle of college applications).

I've been wanting a nice printer for printing out portfolio prints of my slides/scanned work, doing brochures, tear sheets, and postcards for shows, and maybe note cards as well. Ideally I'd like an archival printer so that I could do some reproductions of smaller works, but I think that might drive the price way up.

Because of the printer crisis here, I haven't had time to adequately research the options archival vrs non-archival). I don't want to spend more than $400 max. $200- $300 range would be much better.

What machine would folks out there recommend as giving the best value for the $? If there's something that has ink well that fill separately, would that be a good option. Whatever I get also needs to work for the rest of the family (they all print out a lot of documents as well).

Thanks so much for all of your help! Jilll

Last edited by *Jill-K* : 10-27-2002 at 09:33 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Sweden
The price of the ink cartridges is one thing you should consider when buying a printer - these days some desktop printers are so cheap compared to the cartridges you use with them it's allmost cheaper to buy a new printer when the ink runs out... (you get free ink with the new printer).

Inkjet printers have high ink costs but you don't need to go thoo high up in price to get a really good quality printer. (I woudn't recommend laser to anyone for home use)

I bought my HP DeskJet 930c a year ago for a bit over $100 and it's more than capable for my use (I print "photo quality" images in 300 ppi on photopaper - in this resolution you can't see any pixelation - what's the point in using a higher resolution if you can't tell the difference with the nekid eye?).

If you'd be able to understand swedish I'd recommend www.smartson.se - but you can basically find something similar with google: search for "printer" and "comparison" or "best price" or something.

"Archival" quality... *shrug* now this word I just don't get....
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2002, 08:55 PM
Montreal, Quebec

Hails from Canada
Inkjet Printer

I can't rave enough about the Epson line of printers. Whichever one you can afford, will serve you well. I am still using my Epson Stylus 740 and it is nearly 5 years old and still kicks out great images. Remember the trick here is to get the proper paper... If you do more black and white printing, try a USB based or Serial based laser printer. it'll be faster and cheaper in the long run. If possible get both. You'll be happy you did.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2002, 09:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Calgary, Canada

Hails from Canada
I have a Canon S800 which uses archival inks. I love it. We use it for printing our photos, artwork and just general household stuff.

Ink costs are not terrible as they are single colour cartridges.

I have heard good things about the Epson line of printers as well, but went with the Canon because of the individual ink cartridges.

I agree about not recommending a laser printer for home use. Most homes do not print the volume of paper required to keep a laser printer happy.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2002, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom
You get "free" ink with a new printer, but in all the budget models they only come with half-filled cartidges.

Many people say to avoid the cheapest of any line of printers. For myself, I'd start looking in the $130-$150 range for a colour inkjet, and then increase the price to meet the other requirements I might have (better photo qualities, higher work load, better paper handling, etc).

I would love to have a cheap laser printer at home for the quality of text output, as well as the very low cost-per-page. I don't print enough, nor do I have the space, to justify it though :-(
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2002, 12:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A higher state of consciousness

Hails from United States
I swear by my Hewlett Packard 882C DeskJet.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2002, 02:37 AM
Beckkieland

Hails from United States
Since this is a crisis -- maybe you want to consider buying a cheapy printer just for use like papers and stuff for the kids, then go out looking for a higher quality printer for the graphics and just have two printers running at the same time.

I have an HP Deskjet 656c that I got at Target for $50 (uses USB connection that was probably about $10). That's a little less than what it was going to cost me to replace the ink in my compaq ij600 that didn't work half the time. The HP did have a half-full color cartridge, but I believe the black was full on purchase. I usually print things in draft if they aren't meant to be presented or turned in, to save ink. It has an option for a photo-cartridge too, but I haven't tried it yet. Anyway, I'm dreaming of buying a really nice laser-printer someday.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2002, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Smithville, TX USA

Hails from United States
I recently had a printer go out and had to buy a new printer too. I have an Epson Stylus 820 for photos so what I needed was a printer that would handle all of my other printer needs. I bought a HP cp1160 and was totally impressed with it.

I printed some photos on it on plain paper to show our contractor what kind of floor we wanted in our house, and later, I printed the same photos on premium photo paper on the Epson, and the HP on plain paper was totally better - no comparison. Perhaps the Epson needs some tweaking, but that's pretty impressive!

This printer's features:
  • One of the fastest, if not the fastest inkjet on the market
  • Duplexing comes standard (printing on both sides of the paper)
  • You can print 2 pages, 4 pages, and more on each side front and back - automatically
  • great quality printing
  • You can stack another printer on top of it (or other equipment)
  • 2,880 x 720 resolution
  • USB or parallel connection
  • All for less than $400

Here's a review at pc magazine: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,3182,00.asp
And pc World: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...d,71143,00.asp

The first page out of it is a little slower as it automatically detects what type of paper you have and it makes a good amount of noise as it does this. You can disable this, but I haven't tried it without it.

I'd highly recommend it.

Last edited by robinsn : 11-11-2002 at 10:28 PM.