WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#3661   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Johannes - Student Critique Posts Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenser
Johannes
I have only begun to paint again after not being able to paint at all for two years, due to having family move in with us and having to give up my art studio to make room. Prior to that, I had begun taking your online classes, and purchased most of the recorded lessons.
I have painted two paintings recently, and after doing a sunset scene painting, I tried one with greens and trees. That is where I realized that I desperately needed to watch some of your lessons again! I picked up enough nuggets after watching a couple that I got some confidence to continue rather than put it in the trash heap.
The barn scene is not finished, but I would very much appreciate some critique to let me know if I am going in the right direction.
And the winter sunset scene... a critique also would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to gain some ground and catch up so much lost time!

You are too good of an artist to even dare put your work on hold. The two paintings are very well done. The barn scene has a subtle eye movement. The greens are well handled. The only thing I would do it avoid the tree above the barn to run parallel to the roof. See pic with correction below:

I would indicate the sky holes to be less tailored and vary their sizes. There would be some indications of leaves within the sky holes. See example below.

The second painting is excellent. You created a mood and I feel the artistic romance of the scene. I would remove that thin diagonal cloud because it moves the eye too fast and also contradicts the overall visual rhythm of the other clouds. Clouds are excellent to create melodic lines at the bottom of them. You have a lot of potential. If I were you I would put a lot of time into this. You have a gift. Use it!.

Last edited by Johannes Instructor : 07-06-2014 at 09:17 AM.
  #3662   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Carmarthen, West Wales

Hails from Wales

Thanks Jo.

I'll try to mist-ify the trees.

Cheers,

Ray
  #3663   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Hails from United States

Johannes, oh my goodness, Thank you for your encouraging words! I never expected to come back to see such a positive review of the paintings! I am filled with enthusiasm now, rather than feeling lost and discouraged.
Having to pack up all my supplies and put them in storage, and not have a place to paint for two years wasn't an easy thing to do. But having grandbabies living here made up for that. The family is now in their own place so I can forge ahead with my art.

I will work on the areas you pointed out. I also wonder if the far left tree looks cut in half? I watched the part in the video about the 2/3-1/3 rule, and once I posted the photo I noticed that tree.

Thank you so much again!
(just downloaded the mountain series, and sorry I was too late for the flower classes!)
  #3664   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Congratulations Spencer! That's a very big honor to have Johannes review and critique, but so say one is excellent is over the top. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
  #3665   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

I have been painting plein air in and out of my gazebo due to the rainfall ...and I have the bug bites to prove it.
I am not liking my painting and was hoping you could guide me into the reason why. Perhaps it is a value or shape problem ?
Thanks again.
Attached Images

Last edited by LadyMadonna : 07-09-2014 at 07:21 PM.
  #3666   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM

please review. thanks Rama
Attached Images