Home Forums Explore Media Clay Small relief

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    browndl

I am somewhat reluctant to post as it has been decades since I did any work in clay. Lately though I have not been able to resist the urge so, I thought I would do a small relief piece to satisfy myself. My hope is to maybe eventually make a cope and drag casting of it in aluminum. I am using Plasticine clay and will probably make a plaster mold and then use that as a clay press mold to test the draft before the casting.

So, here goes… this is a couple hours in, still have a long way to go.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
        My Blog

browndl

I just realized this post might be in the incorrect forum. If this is the case would an admin kindly move it? Thanks.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
            My Blog

browndl

Another post of the work. Slowly trying to work in the details.

Here is the reference.

My Blog

browndl

A little more work.

My Blog

ntl

Seems to me you are building a wonderful likeness, with great action! How big is your work?

browndl

ntl, thanks for the comment and question. The piece is about 13 inches by 9 inches.

I just poured the plaster to make a clay press mold. I am very nervous as it has been since the 90’s that I last made a press mold.

Here is an image of the piece just prior to the final pass to remove any undercuts.

My Blog

browndl

So far the press molding pouring appears to have been successful. There were a couple of small undercuts at the shoelaces which I expected to occur. We will see sometime tomorrow (hopefully) if I will get a good pull from the mold.

My Blog

talisman

Very cool and I like the playful look of this!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                                    C and C always welcome.
                                    My DeviantArt Gallery

ntl

OH! You must be very excited! It looks just perfect! Best wishes on going forward, but I don’t think you lost your touch. (Did you?) How good does it feel to have accomplished this!

browndl

Thanks talisman!

ntl I appreciate your comments, yes I am pretty excited it turned out. I was concerned that perhaps I was too out of practice but the fears seem to have been unfounded.

I will post the result of an actual clay piece using the mold as soon as I secure some clay.

Thanks to everyone who looked at the thread.

My Blog

ic.Art

Just saw your post. What a sweet young model and beautiful photo!!
                                                Have you tried your first pull from the mould yet? Is it to be coloured? If so how? Will it be left as natural clay colouring? Where do you intend to display it….indoors or outdoors? Lovely idea.

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

This worked out beautifully. Well done!!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                                Find me on Instagram
                                                Find me on Facebook

browndl

Thanks for the comments.
                                                    ic.Art- I have not made a pull yet, been distracted by work. Hopefully I will be able to do so in the next couple days. I intend on doing several pulls just to distribute to the various family members that desire one. My hope is to make a few variations for myself. I plan on making a couple that are monochrome being whatever color the clay body is. But, I also want to do some glazing to attempt to match the photo. I was thinking of making a hanging plaque, maybe framing one in wood. But I also thought that mounting one to a piece of wood and affixing it to a keepsake box as an ornamental lid would be nice. We will see.

VMRS- Thank you very much!

My Blog

browndl

ic.Art inspired me to quit procrastinating… So here are two images taken of two pulls from the mold. These are straight out of the plaster, no touch ups, nothing. I am very pleased with the results. There will be much less repair to do than I had expected.
                                                        Have a great day all.

My Blog

ntl

Very, very nice. How wonderful to get these results. How many copies can you make from your mold? What are these made of?
                                                            AND, what’s your next project?

(Not meaning to steal your thunder—note)this reminds me, I have a piece, made probably something like yours. It’s at least 70 years old, and used to hang on the wall in our kitchen when I was a child. It is a man’s face. Small, wears a baker’s hat, and has a hole between his lips. (sort of beat up a bit)
                                                            He is a string holder. I just googled it–1940’s string holder–and there he is, except mine has a white hat! chalkware/plaster of paris there he is
                                                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-String-Holder-Chefs-Head-Face-8-1940s-to-1950s-Kitchen-/323102435329 We called ours, Uncle Walter! I suppose because he reminded my Mother of her B-i-L! lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.