Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    lyndaelyzoo

I am trying a new technique creating abstract landscapes and would love some feedback. Any advice, suggestions, or comments are appreciated.

tidal

Oh I love this it is extremely fascinating to look at as it is like an oxymoron in that it moves yet it is still ,it is deep yet it is flat..almost like being lulled into a false sense of security where you feel you are on tangible real solid ground and then the ground disappears from beneath you as the eye realises it is painted surface:) Excellent I wouldn’t change a thing.

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

lyndaelyzoo

Thank you for your insight! I recently started this new technique for abstract landscapes and am becoming obsessed with it. haha. Originally I only painted black and white, then started using bright colors, but returned to monochromatic art. There is something so powerful about its simplicity. I would love to hear your thoughts on only working in black and white and if it is considered a limitation. It just seems that once I add color, the message is lost.

willow33

I think this is successful because I am drawn in and I see hints of a still lake, rushing waterfalls, trees that slide in and out of my mind as I look. I think that is why I like abstract art – because it suggests but doesn’t limit what I see. If you feel right with the monochromatic palette then I guess that’s right. I would have a hard time letting go of all the pretty colors but for some people – Black and white just works. My son wears only black and white but I am a magpie even when I dress. ☺️

tidal

Here here less is more and here it is oooh sooo much more :) We naturaly associate horizontal and vertical axis with various things so as you have here so with the horizontal we see it as at rest ,(then if you think of diagonal axis this would be slanted or oblique orientation will suggest potential or actual motion …so there is much to explore:) You can start looking into directed tensions etc..I mean it has endless possibilities realy depends on how you want to develop from here but it is fantastic no wonder you are obsessed with it you are right to be:)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Teddy

may be u would like to do a different technique on top of this? u have a base layer here that’s just right.. to me anyway.. don’t change it if it’s done to u.. just to me it’s a perfect start to a painting.. not a finished one

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
                            ✶ 
                            ✮ 
                            ✧  
                            ✶ 
                                   ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                                       teds

bobbybirds

I absolutely love this! I don’t have a single negative to say about it. Fantastic!

Greggo

in some ways this reminds me of the earliest days of photography, or a very old print that has morphed over time.
                                    Something old feeling about this, which appeals to me.

What medium is this in? It almost reminds me of a program in Photoshop.
                                    In any case however you accomplished this it is very unusual, yet very appealing.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

lyndaelyzoo

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

Willow. I am definitely more appreciative of abstract art because it leaves so much more to the imagination, creating a more interactive experience with the viewer. I also only wear black and white, particularly attracted to stripes..haha.

Tidal. I do like the rawness and contrast of black and white and will start to experiment with diagonal lines as well.

GarageDoor. I also sometimes feel that it seems unfinished, but then I go back and polish and polish and polish, only to wish that I could return back to the unfinished painting. Maybe its rawness is its strength? Perhaps the viewer can finish it in their own mind? I don’t know the answer, but it has been something I have considered.

Bobbybirds. Thank you!

birdhs Its an acrylic painting, inspired by the techniques of Chinese ink and wash paintings, scratchboard, and Ansel Adams photographs of Yosemite. I definitely get the old school feel of old photographs and was getting to think that the paintings resemble scratches on old vinyl records or ultrasound waves of an echocardiogram!

It looks like the perfect getaway… A lake with waterfalls… Swimming naked… Just lovely :heart: :)

Abstract painter - Taste is something you learn

INSTAGRAM

KENNETHLINDHOLM

leolarkin

Its great.

CarlyHardy

Perfect! I love black and white. Work more in monotones recently but still like a hint of color. Would love to see this in a tall vertical format…feels like you could walk into the water!

maryinasia

this is beautiful

Yes, plus all the above! Size and medium?

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

lyndaelyzoo

Thank you so much! Its a 30″ x 40″ acrylic painting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.