Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics My First "Commissioned" Piece

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AuroraJun

Hi, everyone! I just started painting 3 months ago. My boyfriend asked for a painting for his Christmas present this year. I figured I would share it will all of you.

Yes, I see tons of glaring mistakes. I could continue working on it for three times as long and still not get it the way I want. But seeing the smile on his face and how happy he was when he tore back the wrapping… It just made me want to go back to my desk and start another piece. I know I just need the patience. The passion is already there.

I hope you all have had good holidays and wish you well in the coming year.

gaykir

I can see why he liked it so much. It’s a wonderful piece.

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

brusher

Hi AuroraJun:

Well, there’s a lot to be said for freshness and spontaneity, and this painting has plenty of that! Don’t discount the importance of the “feeling” portrayed by a painting – the rushing of the water, its fluidity, the simple and strong order of the rocky landscape, and the general movements you have created – which are moving the eye in the sequence of directions it should go. Your painting has all those qualities, and it’s easy to see why your boyfriend was happy with it.

You did not overdo! And didn’t produce a stiff painting! This has plenty of life, and that’s what’s the most important. Have you seen the Impressionists’ work of outdoor scenes and nature? Conveying the feeling of the air, breeze and surroundings is the most important thing.

OK next time, you can have patience and start another piece. But do recognize the great qualities this one has (that you have as a painter). Less is more – I would also recommend that you look at Chinese ink paintings of mountains and rocks, waterfalls, classical landscapes – It will remind you of your own approach I think. With the same goals in mind (as Impressionism), Asian brush painting always aims to convey the feeling of the moment.

Want to see more. I think you’re doing wonderfully! Your style is direct and strong, with no dithering! That is a gift in itself!

Cathy

Reddyman

I think you did a super painting here and to think you have only been painting for a short 3 months tells me you are doing fabulous.
                    Your palette and feeling of movement is wonderful.
                    I am sure your boyfriend will treasure it because it was made by you. Great job on this! Keep at it, looking forward to your next.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you share more with us as you learn and grow in art.

Well done indeed with this one, it’s expressive, dynamic, has good colour and composition and I’m assuming the subject means a lot to your boyfriend!… what more could you ask for?

Keep painting!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Nicely done!

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                    Every painting is a new adventure.

Welcome to the Forum. This is a great painting. Lots of energy and vitality.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

dave woody

Well….it is a fantastic start.
                        You will only get better at it….huge regards mate.

ScottMac

I like this! … the water and the rocks in the foreground (near side of the waterfall) are the highlight for me.

I also only recently got back into painting, and had my first commission for Christmas.

I’m guessing you can already see your progression from your 1st painting to this one … and hopefully you’ll continue to progress. I’m sure you’ve got plenty of ideas for 10+ more paintings :-)

What medium are you using? and are you painting on paper/canvas etc. I mostly paint on canvas with acrylic, but I like to sketch out ideas with pencil/pen and add a wash to get an idea of how things will look 1st.

My Gallery and Art Blog: http://www.scottmac.plus.com/ScottMackayArt/index.shtml

AuroraJun

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words, everyone! I apologize for falling off the face of the planet for a while and not responding sooner.

Have you seen the Impressionists’ work of outdoor scenes and nature? Conveying the feeling of the air, breeze and surroundings is the most important thing.

Impressionism is one of my favorite styles :D

Well done indeed with this one, it’s expressive, dynamic, has good colour and composition and I’m assuming the subject means a lot to your boyfriend!… what more could you ask for?

Thank you! It is a waterfall we saw on a trip this year. It was a spiritual experience and something I’ll remember the rest of my life if I’m lucky! :)

I’m guessing you can already see your progression from your 1st painting to this one … and hopefully you’ll continue to progress. I’m sure you’ve got plenty of ideas for 10+ more paintings :-)

Absolutely! I am anticipating the plateau soon and will try to be patient during it! ;)

What medium are you using? and are you painting on paper/canvas etc.

I am using Liquitex Basics acrylic paint and painting on the cheapo value pack canvas from Michael’s (I think it was the Artist’s Loft brand.) The texture of this canvas was pretty rough. Next time, I’ll have to give it an extra coat of gesso and see how that works.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.