Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Change in direction – dragon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anne58

My husband has been bugging me to do some fantasy drawings, dragons specifically so I’ve given it a try.

First attempt was rather sad, looked like a secretary dragon on a bad day :lol:

The second sketch turned out better, but I sure miss having a reference to draw from. Although I understand the principles of shading, some areas like the webbed spines along the back tend to baffle me.

I’m going to experiment a bit with different style eyes, horns, ears etc. I did like the way the scales turned out though; with somewhat raised borders.

Sketch done in 4H, F, HB on cheap sketch pad paper. Light source from the left. I digitally whitened the background on this image.

Hello Anne … you have a nice texture on this. Your values are somewhat too near mids all around leaving a lack of “pop” as we say – Generally the drawings that really grab your attention have rich darks and brighter whites. Your drawing has a feeling of hesitancy about it. It’s very difficult to “draw” using a mouse in photoshop bur I did one eye in a very basic manner to demonstrate what I mean.

Or

Anne58

Thanks Ken.

Yes I was a bit hesitant, not wanting to completely hide part in deep shadow but you are right, I could have used more range of shades.

Anne

AGArt

I have tried to dragons, as well, and utterly failed. Your secretary remark reminded me of one I sketched that I told a friend looked like a dragonlet on school picture day. Yours is much better than mine!

~April

Janby

Thanks Ken.

Yes I was a bit hesitant, not wanting to completely hide part in deep shadow but you are right, I could have used more range of shades.

Anne

Hi Anne, if you’re wary of adding darker shading to your drawing, print it out and practice on that first. That way you can go as dark as you want, but if you over do it, it doesn’t matter.

Jan. C & c's always welcome.

Anne58

Hi Anne, if you’re wary of adding darker shading to your drawing, print it out and practice on that first. That way you can go as dark as you want, but if you over do it, it doesn’t matter.

Good tip. Thanks, I’ll remember that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.