Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Reworking some old paintings

• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by john.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I was going through some old paintings and though it might be fun to punch some of them up.

The first one is foggy day hike. Here’s my starting point. Let me know what some of your ideas are.

Hard to believe I painted this some nine years ago.

Ok my attempt to punch this one up was an epic FAIL. Well I had fun playing but, I’ll be using the other side of the paper. :lol:

pjartwc

The only thing that bother me in this are the dark road tracks in foreground. Otherwise a successful painting!

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

The only thing that bother me in this are the dark road tracks in foreground. Otherwise a successful painting!

Thanks, I didn’t think there was enough contrast between the road and the orange bushes. I got crazy with it and it is no more. :evil:

I tried some opaque stuff and it didn’t work out. Oh well I had fun trying.

I’ve said it to another related thread and I’ll repeat here not only for you but for everyone else to read.

Don’t mess up with your archives.

Your older paintings, even if they are utterly failed are your archive; the way to record your artistic development.

When you change them, successfully or not – it doesn’t really matter- is like you are doing plastic surgery to a very old person. Trying to turn them to your current technical level, which you are not able to know if it will be the same, in -let’s say- ten years from now, will never look authentic.
        It is impossible to be the expression of your current artistic self.

What will be your reference in ten years?
        Will you come back to this same painting to re-upgrade it to the level that you’ll might have achieved by then?

You don’t progress when you go back to correct your archived works. You progress when you make new works, and on each and every painting you try to develop your current technique and ideas; when you go forward from your current technical level and not when you go backwards to correct the results of the skills that you had in the past. :)

And that was a very good painting on its own merit. It doesn’t need any changes. :)

I have to agree with Marialena, keep your early paintings they show how much you have progressed.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

David_A

I’ve said it to another related thread and I’ll repeat here not only for you but for everyone else to read.

[B]Don’t mess up with your archives.[/B]:)

Well said. I may have gone through some archives and tossed some less than stellar works just out of pridefulness, but for the most part, I agree to leave it be.

ThatsNiceDear

I agree, leave your old paintings alone. They have more value as memories, and milestones on your journey as an artist than they do as exercises in retouching. By all means start new paintings based on your old ones, but I really cringe every time one of these threads comes up.

kochersperger

If I have a total failure, I cut the painting into gift cards. Each is an abstract painting then.

Bonnie Lou Williams

FrankM

What a unique idea, kochersperger!

FrankM

I really can’t see anything that needs to be given more “punch”. You really have that sense of distance which is so hard to get. The colour choices are beautiful

[B]Don’t mess up with your archives.[/B]

Your older paintings, even if they are utterly failed are your archive; the way to record your artistic development.

When you change them, successfully or not – it doesn’t really matter- is like you are doing plastic surgery to a very old person. Trying to turn them to your current technical level, which you are not able to know if it will be the same, in -let’s say- ten years from now, will never look authentic.
                        It is impossible to be the expression of your current artistic self.

What will be your reference in ten years?
                        Will you come back to this same painting to re-upgrade it to the level that you’ll might have achieved by then?

You don’t progress when you go back to correct your archived works. You progress when you make new works, and on each and every painting you try to develop your current technique and ideas; when you go forward from your current technical level and not when you go backwards to correct the results of the skills that you had in the past. :)

:thumbsup:
                        Excellent point. I have enjoyed looking back and good memories are far more valuable than anything I ever could have achieved from reworking this painting even if it was successful.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.