Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Jeanetted

Can you tell me the advantages of using Artspan over Yessy as a website for displaying our art?

CEvans

A major difference between Artspan and Yessy is that Artspan is a career management tool for artists as well as a website that we’re working hard to optimize for high search ranking. Artspan members get their own URLs — not simply pages on our site — and the tools we provide enable them to manage and conduct email marketing campaigns and track their visitors. Yessy offers a very attractive annual fee, but whereas Artspan does not ask for commissions on anything you sell, Yessy does. Artspan does not offer a shopping cart feature because our members prefer to use the site to build clientele and manage their own sales. Besides giving them an elegant platform from which to sell their art, we invest in marketing their sites through the major print and online art media and website optimization efforts.

Thanks for asking about Artspan. We’ll be happy to answer any more questions or elaborate in more detail on Artspan vs. Yessy if you’d like us to.

Jbuddy

Re: Artspan Vs. Yessy….

I read the reply regading the differences between Artspan & Yessy. Having a shopping cart feature on your site is a premium service.. all hosts charge additional fees for it. The extra charges range anywhere from $5.00 to $25.00 extra per month. The norm seems to be about $10.00. Perhaps the market that Artspan is “selling” to (artists) is unwilling to spend that kind of money in sufficient numbers to justify the costs of site administration….

It costs the hosting company more to run a server with shopping cart functionality… you also have to increase the security of the connection to 128 SSL….

jbuddy

GrafxPainter

Why does Artspan charge twice as much as Yessy?
                    Especially since:
                    – Artspan doesn’t even have a shopping cart
                    – You can’t display as much art on Artspan (12 images on Artspan vs unlimited on Yessy)
                    – Artspan doesn’t get as much traffic as Yessy (go to Alexa.com for traffic stats; Yessy gets 4x more traffic than Artspan)

Also, Yessy does allow artists to handle their own payment processing if they want; in which case, there is no “commission”.

I don’t get it. Artspan is more expensive, you can only display a few items, nothing can be purchased, and they get less traffic than Yessy. Am I missing something?

By the way, in regards to jbuddy’s comment: I just did some research and Yessy doesn’t charge anything for the shopping cart, so it has to be possible for Artspan (or any other host) to do the same thing without having to raise fees. Especially since Artspan is already twice as expensive as Yessy.

kiabgoa

Why does Artspan charge twice as much as Yessy?
                        Especially since:
                        – Artspan doesn’t even have a shopping cart
                        – You can’t display as much art on Artspan (12 images on Artspan vs unlimited on Yessy)
                        – Artspan doesn’t get as much traffic as Yessy (go to Alexa.com for traffic stats; Yessy gets 4x more traffic than Artspan)

Also, Yessy does allow artists to handle their own payment processing if they want; in which case, there is no “commission”.

I don’t get it. Artspan is more expensive, you can only display a few items, nothing can be purchased, and they get less traffic than Yessy. Am I missing something?

By the way, in regards to jbuddy’s comment: I just did some research and Yessy doesn’t charge anything for the shopping cart, so it has to be possible for Artspan (or any other host) to do the same thing without having to raise fees. Especially since Artspan is already twice as expensive as Yessy.

I signed up for both Artspan and Yessy and for the first 10 days or so on each I did absolutely no advertising or promotion at all. I did the shopping cart option on Yessy and set up my own shopping cart (with PayPal) on Artspan. I have originals, prints, and cards offered, with a price range of $700 down to $4 (all USD).

Within those first ten days the Yessy site had 51 unique visitors and 1877 hits. The first ten days of Artspan had 96 unique visitors and 1512 hits. Of Yessy’s 51 unique visitors, 29 were on the first day; and of the 1877 hits, 641 were on the first day. Both unique visitors and hits dropped off very dramatically after that. The unique visitors and hits are more consistant throughout the ten days for Artspan. Within that first ten days I did make one sale through the Artspan site, none through Yessy.

I have now been on Artspan for approx. 6 weeks and have sold two originals, two prints, and about 50 cards. I’m also developing a nice email list of people who are interested in receiving updates when new work is put up, or for outside exhibitions, etc. I don’t think that is a feature on the Yessy site (if it is, I haven’t found it yet). I will point out that after the initial two weeks I spent tweaking my Artspan site to make it what I wanted, I have now begun to actively promote it, and that has made my unique visitors, hits, and sales really soar.

I have not yet begun to actively promote Yessy (I’ve only been on it just over two weeks). As it’s relatively inexpensive, and I have already promoted my Artspan site as my main site, I will probably continue to use Yessy as an “extra” site, but not actively promote it much. I do plan to add a few paintings at a time to it (instead of adding a larger group), as adding new work seems to be the main way for people to find the work without wading through huge numbers of pages (over 39,000 paintings and prints….kinda hard to find mine :( ). There doesn’t seem to be any type of artist directory, you just browse by catagory. I could hardly even find the work I knew was there (because I put it up!), so I would find it hard to direct someone to the site to look at the work.

Also, when I googled my artist’s name the Artspan site came up in the first page; I looked through 60 pages and don’t think I ever found the Yessy listing. Perhaps this was because the listing is quite new, but the Artspan one showed up in the first three pages of a google search I did within a couple of weeks after setting up the site.

Anyway, so far that’s been my experience using the two sites.

Glaswerks

I’d like to point out that while Yessy does charge a 10 percent fee (they don’t call it a commission, but let’s be real about that) for what they call the “transaction.” This can be good or bad. If you are already considerably established as an artist, then you probably already have a credit card service like Propay or something along those lines. If not, Yessy might be a good alternative because that 10 percent fee takes care of Yessy processing the entire payment for you. This means that if someone issues a bad credit card payment, Yessy handles the headache, not you.

Stardreamer

I do not know about Yessy but I have been running into all sorts of problems with Artspan. First off, all images go to one default page. You CANNOT make categories and split them up. As an example, I can’t have a photography section or oils. It is all in one section. :(

Secondly, only 6 of your images are ever searchable. This means you need to constantly figure out which are your 6 best each time you upload in hopes you will drive more people from the artspan site to your personal gallery.

Lastly, you cannot code your website at all. For example, if you belong to a web ring in order to help drive business you cannot enter the code. Artspan has to do it for you.

At the moment, I am very torn about Artpsan.:confused:

[FONT=Century Gothic]Just my 2 cents, peace & prosperity be with you.
                                [FONT=Century Gothic]Michael Kaiser
                                [FONT=Century Gothic]

Jeanetted

I have not had any sales on Yessy, however, the site is quite easy to work with. I do refer people to it to view my art.
                                    Jeanette

mandev

I too had no luck on Yessey, and it has put me off paying to display work on these type of sites.
                                        These type of sites take fees from artists to display their work, and in return it is only other artists who seem to visit the site.
                                        Yessey also have a ridiculous way of displaying their work, and if you price your work at the cheapest or most expensive, then you are liable to get some exposure. Try searching for a print at 100 (pounds/dollars)

Sorry, I am suffering from SAD (seasonal affected disorder) syndrome in the UK. Winter is terrible – so just had to get it off my chest. (just joking about SAD)
                                        Regards
                                        Les

[FONT=Courier New]www.mandev.co.uk
                                        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Canvas & Fine Art Media suppliers

jerry lucey

For me Yessy is a complete loss. Think about it…I paid and quickly loaded a few works and have never been able to get back into my own page. Calling my problem to the the attention of the people at Yessy has resulted in replies that fail to solve the problem. So much for doing business with Yessy, I have just given up on them.

jerry

Jerry Lucey
                                            Acrylic Watercolor

ngothyeaun

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Malaysia! This is my first post,I join Yessy in Jan 2006 and I just sold 2 originals and 1 print from Yessy few days ago.Everything goes smoothly except payment part.I sent off the paintings and the customer has received them but she didn’t click the “Item Received” button,so I will only get paid from Yessy if the customer click that button,if she forgot,then yessy will sent 2 mails weekly to remind her.And if this continues and she has not click the button,yessy will only open an investigation after 30days,omg,that is way too long…

the programme is not bad but lack of communication like having a forum will be nice…

cheers,
                                                Ngo Thye Aun
                                                http://www.yessy.com/peanut-design

jerry lucey

At first all was well with Yessy, then the system fell apart…I have not been able to open my account I paid for and the site has never been updated. All requests for assistance from Yessy get a reply that is not worth the time they took to reply. For me it is a dead issue. Artspan I have never used …

I would love to see a (so called) online Gallery that was interested in the artists and their needs…jerry

Jerry Lucey
                                                    Acrylic Watercolor

jerry lucey

Much for the great world of Wet Canvas. Yessy read my complaint and responded with information I could use. I say thanks to the person who read my comments on Wet Canvas and made this decision.

jerry lucey

Jerry Lucey
                                                        Acrylic Watercolor

Summer-time

To clarify, Jerry was trying to sign in with the wrong username.

jerry lucey

To clarify, yes that is true. But, he tried to get assistance from Yessy when it did not work and Yessy offered no real help. At 77 years of age it is no wonder that jerry had lost complete track that he even had another user name. He has said thank you to the person who finally paid some attention and called the solution to his attention. He just wonders why it took 6 months. It would be nice if Summer-Time could answer that one…jerry

Jerry Lucey
                                                                Acrylic Watercolor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Artspan vs Yessy’ is closed to new replies.