Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Icarus Board or similar?

• This topic has 28 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    kendell

I have had a couple of people tell me that their Icarus board cuts their time dramatically. It is an investment though, and I’d like to experiment before shelling out the bucks. Has anyone had any luck making their own suedo-Icarus board? One person mentioned a used buffet warmer tray. Has anyone successfully used other methods?

litterbuggy

I haven’t tried this yet, but a few people have mentioned heat guns; apparently the paper stays warm for a little while after using one. I’m not entirely sure what a heat gun is, but I’ve thought about using my hair dryer to warm the surface.

The Icarus board seems unreasonably expensive. I wonder whether a drawing board propped up over an incandescent bulb would work almost as well.

Edited to add: Here’s an idea. It’s only 6″ x 9″, but should give you some ideas.

dougmccallum

If the drawing board/tracing box is a plastic top, incandescent lights could melt or warp the surface at the temperatures needed. I would be a bit wary of doing it after having warped a plexiglas drawing board by putting too warm a lamp behind it.

Doug

My website and blog: 3Acres.org
                Facebook

litterbuggy

If the drawing board/tracing box is a plastic top, incandescent lights could melt or warp the surface at the temperatures needed. I would be a bit wary of doing it after having warped a plexiglas drawing board by putting too warm a lamp behind it.

Doug

Absolutely correct. I just bought a piece of inexpensive window glass at Home Depot to use as a drawing board at home, and of course that wouldn’t be a problem.

kendell

I have a board with plexi (?) for tracing and 2 very cfl’s below. That does not put out enough heat, but works well for overlaying. I had one person mention that masonite with a heating pad below might work……?

clydeine

I have a tracing box (not sure if that is what it is called) and it look a lot like the expensive item your discussing. I too have looked at using a blow dryer to warm things up and even thought to use my tracing box, but never have. This is an interesting article to me.

FaeLynn

I did have an idea. I will let you all know if I try it and if it works… I have a 12 by 16″ “baking stone” and thought of putting it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes.. setting it on hot pads and setting a 1/4″ thick glass pane on top of it to work on. The baking stones keep their heat for quite some time.. perhaps 30 minutes at a time, maybe more… Wouldn’t want to try much warmer than that to begin with.. tinker around with temps after I see what this does…

"If You follow every dream, you might get lost." ~Neil Young

TessDB

I seem to remember someone who created something like this… I’m thinking it was an electric heating pad (like you’d use for sore muscles) cranked up high with a piece of thin plexiglass set on top of it. If I can find the link to the thread I’ll post it…

Rosemary

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Rosemary (aka Tess) - [/color]
                                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]How does she do that??? Find out here:[/color] Celtic Art 101

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
                                    [/left]

kendell

Someone told me a heating pad on top of masonite with drawing board on top worked….

beachwalker

The idea of using a heating pad covered by thin plexiglass seems good, but I would want something larger and maybe flatter than the standard size medical heating pad. In a search I ran across many references to seedling heat mats, which come in different sizes (up to 48″ x 20″) with rubberized, waterproof exteriors. Except for the largest size, most were priced under $50. Are there gardeners here who could comment on whether these items might work well for heating waxed surfaces?

graesea

I did a quick search and came up with this as a comparison:

Icarus board uses 50 watts (sm) and 65 (lg)
                                                Seeding heat mats use 17 watts
                                                Standard heating pad uses 65 watts on high

Hope that helps.

beachwalker

Thanks for that good information, graesea. Looks like the heating capacity of seeding heat mats wouldn’t be nearly high enough to do the job we’re talking about.

TessDB

Sooo… did a google search for encaustic plates, and found this on Dick Blick’s website: http://www.dickblick.com/products/r-and-f-hot-plates-and-palette-cups/?clickTracking=true#photos

Makes you wonder if you could rig job something similar with a hot plate kinda like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-Single-Burner-Portable-Electric-Range-Hot-Plate-AHP-303/5871070 … Or maybe a buffet warming tray would do even better… http://www.cooking.com/23-75×7-75-in-silhouette-cordless-warming-tray-by-toastess_392720_11/

If anyone tries it (and doesn’t burn the house down! :lol: ) I hope they’ll share!

Rosemary

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Rosemary (aka Tess) - [/color]
                                                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]How does she do that??? Find out here:[/color] Celtic Art 101

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
                                                        [/left]

FaeLynn

I am going to Lowe’s this evening and get a thick slab of Plexiglass and lay it over top of heating pad on high. I will post results when I have time to experiment!!

"If You follow every dream, you might get lost." ~Neil Young

faula

if I could figure out how to modify my light box, I really want to make a hot board. yes, it takes money away from the company, but they are a lot of money to buy, and if you could figure out how to replicate the effect at home, it saves money. if you don’t like it, you wont be out $300 dollars (cant get them anyway here, even if I had the money to spend)

if i still had a heating pad, I would be trying it with different thickness’ of plexi. would need to find something thin enough for the heat to get through but strong enough to draw on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Icarus Board or similar?’ is closed to new replies.