WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Re: Family Portrait using Flemish-style glazing - 16" x 20" WIP

For anyone who is following this piece, I decided to post an update. A lot of progress has been made on the grisaille, but it still needs some more work, especially on the clothing. I can't believe how much work I am putting into one painting, but that's what happens when I attempt three portraits at once...

Notice that I decided to depart from the reference photo in that I positioned the figure on the right in front of the boy in the centre... this was to create a third "level" or "plane" to increase a sense of depth. Now there is a little more visual interest, I think, and a more fluid diagonal composition. I found that before my eyes rested first in the centre, and then fought to head left or right; now my eyes start on the right figure and move through the painting to the left. Do you guys agree?

I'm starting a portrait in oils class soon, so hopefully I will learn more about facial anatomy to help me in the future! Open to all comments and criticisms, as always.

Jared S.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 AM

Very beautiful and cute !
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Jared S.

Your perseverance and determination is very impressive. It's not easy to do it over again but you did it and it looks great. Looking forward to seeing its progress!

Maria
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 02:57 PM

Update! I think I have finished the grisaille (finally)!

I might still poke at it with the titanium white to bring up some more highlights but that can always wait until the final layer. I can't wait to use colour! So I think I shall let this sit for a week or two in this state before I start ruining it with colour (lol).

Excuse the lines, I scanned it in multiple parts and didn't get all the transitions smooth.

C&C is encouraged. Pick it apart now, because there's no going back after this. I can't bear the thought!

Love all the comments so far, keep 'em coming!
Jared S.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Sudbury, Ontario

Hails from Canada

First of all, the comparison between this version and the first one is amazing! Well done! I think the girl on the right looks great now. The one on the left has a bit of a "joker" quality to the smile. I think her mouth is a bit too large (vertical measurement) not much though. I would lose some edges in the corners of the mouths. I know that in the photo, the corners of the mouths show quite sharply, but I think in the painting they would look more natural if they were softened, also the girl on the left's lower lip - it looks like she is wearing lipstick which ages her.If her lips were blended more into the surrounding skin, it would look more realistic. Really good work. Can't wait to see the finished painting.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Hey guys,

Here's an update. After letting the grisaille dry for a few weeks, I've begun to apply colour glazes to the underpainting. I have softened some edges to look more natural, but they will probably need more softening through the next layers. I always find the first colour glaze to look rather ugly... I have to be patient and imagine the next layers. Tell me what you guys think so far:

I'm very happy with it so far... except I'm struggling a bit with the clothing. I've never painted denim before, and the girl on the left has a denim overall strap that isn't looking quite right. It's not visible in the reference photo, unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback,
Jared S.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 AM
A Local Legend
Brazil

Hails from Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonbi
...but they will probably need more softening through the next layers...
Certainly!
Up to now, this work is going quite well!

Eduardo
"God gave the artist a window towards other worlds"
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

Such an amazing transformation from the first versions to this one! I think it's looking great! I can't imagine the amount of hours that has gone into this already...
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Long Island NY

Hails from United States

It looks great. Glad you're posting your progress. Nice work, can't wait to see the finished product.

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast
Baghdad Iraq

Hails from Iraq

Wonderful ...you are doing great ...look forward to see the finished portraite !!!!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 PM

This is coming along wonderfully! I love watching glazes go on over grisailles.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone!! I hope you are enjoying the progress as much as I am enjoying painting it. My painting has plunged into the ugly phase, so I hesitate to post anything at this point. However, I will reluctantly share this shapshot:

I'm sorry the glare is so bad, I tried avoiding it and this is the best I could get.
I have begun to bring out the sepia tones by first glazing over the whole foreground with raw/burnt sienna. The initial colour glaze, although it's really hard to see here, shines through and influences the skin tone. After letting that set, I've begun bringing out the shadows with glazing. I haven't started on the midtones and highlights, so its looking a little dull right now and the camera can't quite capture what it actually looks like. But I haven't ruined it, it looks much better in real life! Once I let this dry, I can start fleshing out the midtones and breathe a sigh of relief.

As always, comments are welcome and encouraged!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Time for an update!

Again, I apologize for the glare. I can't seem to avoid it!

I've filled in the darks with more colour. It still looks very dull because I haven't even touched the midtones or lights. Hoping it starts becoming beautiful soon...

Jared
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

I think your family portrait is looking good. I found that the glazes went on slightly garish in mine, and that I had to lighten them up a bit. see image. Like mentioned before, it's so important to get the painting correct in the verdaccio stage before glazes, as opaque is needed to correct mistakes, and that can undermine the overall glazing effect. You can see the final version at my link if interested.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2012, 12:46 PM

**UPDATE**

I have put this painting aside for now... I think I need some time to "catch up" to where I am at, otherwise I will just go in circles and the painting will end up being overworked. So here it sits... it looks good as-is, but still needs some tonal/hue adjustments. Open to feedback and crit, as always.