WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 01:23 AM
Immortalized
Tasmania Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Cleaning dried oil brushes

I have seen several recommendations for Master's Brush Cleaner.
Here is a word of warning ...

Anthony Waichulis posted some images in the facebook group "Painting Best Practices" hosted by George O'hanlon from Natural Pigments.
They were microscopic pictures of a brush before washing and after washing with Masters Brush Cleaner.
Even after several rinses, small sharp particles were found scattered throughout the hairs.
The particles weren't identified, but were speculated to be ground glass or something similar, used as an abrasive.

I can't imagine that this would be good for brushes,

Last edited by Ron Francis : 10-18-2018 at 01:52 AM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 01:51 AM
Immortalized
Tasmania Australia

Hails from Australia

Here are some images.

The first is from Anthony Waichulis.

And here is an image of the cleaner magnified 200X in darkfield and crossed polarization lighting, posted by Lewis Hizer.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Francis
I have seen several recommendations for Master's Brush Cleaner.
Here is a word of warning ...

Anthony Waichulis posted some images in the facebook group "Painting Best Practices" hosted by George O'hanlon from Natural Pigments.
They were microscopic pictures of a brush before washing and after washing with Masters Brush Cleaner.
Even after several rinses, small sharp particles were found scattered throughout the hairs.
The particles weren't identified, but were speculated to be ground glass or something similar, used as an abrasive.

I can't imagine that this would be good for brushes,

Hogwash. "speculated to be ground glass" Give us a break. Natural Pigments has their own cleaner and competes with Masters Cleaner. There's no glass in it whatsoever. It's soap and lanolin, which is what reconditions the brushes.

Honestly. You don't have to use the Master's cleaner, and are free to use any product you want, but please don't make false claims against a product that others believe in. That doesn't help.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 03:12 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Can you show us independent expert's microphotography of Master brush cleaner structure if you are thinking, that it is lanoline & soap?
In the other hand, Ron, I can't imagine how can microparticles of glass or silica can affect brushes?
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Can you show us independent expert's microphotography of Master brush cleaner structure if you are thinking, that it is lanoline & soap?
In the other hand, Ron, I can't imagine how can microparticles of glass or silica can affect brushes?

I don't have to; I'm not the One that's making the silly claim.

LOL Sorry, but I have more things to do than debate brush cleaners.

all the best.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Immortalized
Tasmania Australia

Hails from Australia

Pthalo White
The claim doesn't come from Natural pigments.
It came from two independent artists, whom I have named, who backed up their statements with photographs.
I don't think you have a leg to stand on to say it is false.
Why do you say it's just lanolin and soap?
I've used it in the past, and it is definitely gritty, especially when it dries out.

Gig,
Without going back to the thread in question, from memory Anthony Waichulis investigated because some of his students were complaining about brushes becoming damaged after washing. Something like that.
He does very fine photo-realist work, so maybe any damage becomes magnified.
If you are really interested, I'll search for the thread again and cut and paste what he said.

Last edited by Ron Francis : 10-18-2018 at 09:39 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

Awhile back, I attempted to find the ingredients of Master's Brush Cleaner, but got no results. The MSDS merely shows that it does not contain anything that needs to be listed for safety reasons.

I wonder if those particles are ground animal bone? Surely the company would have access to such material, given that the rest of the product comes from animals AFAIK. But even if the particles are non-asbestos silica glass, I cannot imagine any harm to the brushes.

On a side note, I wonder if the conditioner (lanolin?) is of any value for synthetic brushes. I would think not. Lately, I've been replacing my original chungking hog hair brushes with quality synthetics, to my great satisfaction.

Nice thing about Master's, besides the fact that it works, is that it is unscented.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:03 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Has anyone emailed Master's to let them know that they are getting convicted on social media?
gorilla cleaning of brushes can also cause damage.
those particles look like many pigment particles, here is one I took of some ultramarine blue paint:

one particle looks like an arrowhead which can't be good.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 10-18-2018 at 12:06 PM.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:11 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

For me, Solvent-free debates is even more aggressive and counterproductive than Zinc White hounds attacks! Recently I decided to hide all my painting mediums formulation and now it might be better to hide everything about using solvent for brush cleaning. Just for better, healthy personal feelings. Use your soaps or WMO as you like more! I think, that Ron is partially right about harm effect from abrasive particles to natural expensive brushes. It might be better to clean hog brushes instead of cleaning kolinsky brush with this abrasive soap cleaner.

Last edited by Gigalot : 10-18-2018 at 12:21 PM.