WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2018, 11:58 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2018: optional "small" theme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsu18
oh wow the blending! was there a specific assignment beyond b&w still? the crop is delicious but that blending will keep me studying the painting for a good long while. do you mind if i download the image?
Heh, ronsu, I'm afraid the "blending" is actually an artifact of my horrible phone camera. I'll try to take a better photo, but don't't have time right now.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-28-2018 at 12:01 PM.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2018, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Annie, even if the photo is fuzzy, Ronsu is right that you've got some lovely soft edges there. I'm also curious whether there was a specific assignment -- e.g., a limited palette?

It was beautiful outside yesterday -- the first time in months, it seemed -- and I rushed out to paint. In this case, the blurriness really is on the painting, not an artifact of my phone. It was on a big canvas, 18" x 24", and I didn't have time to sharpen edges even if I'd wanted to. It took me about 3 hours. "Flowers on the Porch."

#78   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

(way too tired to speak in tongues, hoping to make sense,)
what a warm, welcoming view! second honest reaction: looking for chairs, as in 'but where do i sit"! my fave is the mid plane including the flowers and the barely-there sun through the balustrade. there's something surprising about the angle, i'm used to an architectural, almost mathematically predicated distance sweeped in soft color from you and here's this intense pull with lines straight into the image. now, if i could only find a chair...

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2018, 11:08 PM
Enthusiast

Excellent question about the chair, Ronsu! I normally don't keep chairs on that part of the porch; I was sitting in one, and the rest were behind me. The walkway there is a bit narrow, so chairs would block traffic. But I did think about moving a chair into the scene anyway! Maybe I still will. Actually, I may do a mini version of this scene, this time with a chair and a figure.

Back to life class today. I struggled with this portrait, but it turned out okay. I'd have liked a bit more time to refine the features, especially the eyes, and I wasn't quite done with the ears or neck. But it's still a reasonable likeness. Alas, I'm away next weekend, so I won't get to do another portrait for a couple weeks. "Study of Natalya," oil on panel, 11" x 14."

#80   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2018, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

i feel her. the first impression is not "a study", it's clearly her and what she communicates. i want to turn your attention to your progress, the leaps and bounds, because this is nearly finished if interpretation were taken to completion. how do i phrase this, the study can now be directed to you at work, not oil painting. you now have the skills and confidence to really get to work. it's a momentous milestone that's been creeping up on you for some time!

about the chair, the painting can go several ways, a restful place, a passage, a combination. i feel it's strong enough already to warrant more effort, if you feel there's more in there to convey.

#81   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

remember this one? well the flowers are going, so worked on the vase.
that's chrysanthemums for ya!
what's left is light on bg and perky green glaze on parts of leaves.

make it as small as you can (the impressionist trick), and it looks like a.painting.

Name:  20180930_174129-1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  89.2 KB

#82   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast

You're really on a roll, ronsu. I'm enjoying looking at this one a lot, especially the reflections and distortions in the vase. Nicely done. My only question is about the far left edge of the painting; the blue of the table seems to disappear. Perhaps that's intentional? But overall, I think it looks terrific.

Fill me in on the impressionist trick you mentioned! What do you "make as small as you can" -- the brushstroke? The canvas? I need all the tips I can get!

I have a new painting to post, but I'll wait until I open a new oil-from-life thread (for October) in 3 hours. Upcoming optional theme: fall colors.
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2018, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

thank you! ☺ i'm afraid you hit the nail on the head about the blue, leading to the ""treatment"" of the mudpile of a background. there's two sessions worth of conscious effort to paint a background but no result. flowers, sure! glass, bring it! a neutral and supporting bg not from life with existing palette, d'uh huh?

what on earth am i supposed to do to it?! have to study one of my heroes, Odilon Redon, and his still lifes. again. any tips welcome!

the impressionist trick is a term i've seen around, meaning, when i stand one meter away from the painting it feels arduous looking at it with all the hatchety jaggety strokes. five meters away, and it's a different animal altogether, a realistic painting with no visible strokes but a viable, lifelike impression of its subject.
onscreen it's possible to achieve those five meters by other means, and they improve the experience so much it's worth doing!

Last edited by ronsu18 : 10-01-2018 at 05:45 AM.