Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Portrait 60×80 on linen, coments please

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    STIV

Greetings to everyone,

Any comment and critic is very welcome.
        Colors i mostly used : YELLOW OCHRE PY 43 (W&N N.744), LIGHT OXIDE RED PR 101 (REMBRANT 339 ), RAW SIENNA PBr7 (Lefranc N.482), TITANIUM WHITE PW6/PW4 (REMBRANT N.105), IVORY BLACK PBk9/PB29 (REMBRANT N.701),

I also used : COLD GREY Pbk9/PW6 (REMBRANT N.717), NAPLES YELLOW DEEP PW4/PY154/PBr24 (REMBRANT N.223), QUINACRIDONE ROSE PV19 (REMBRANT N.366), VERMILION PO73 (REMBRANT N.311) and in the last stages CERULEAN BLUE PB35 (W&N N.137.
        Dimensions are 60 x 80 and photo is cropped / name was digitally added.

That’s a well handled portrait, it looks great! Really cool flesh tones. Thanks for sharing.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Freesail

That’s a well handled portrait, it looks great! Really cool flesh tones. Thanks for sharing.

I agree, really cool looking flesh tones.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
            AllisonR

Nice earthy colors. Only real crit is that the moustache where it hits the black background is too harsh and hard, like a cutout. Allow some of the background to softly show through the hair.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                billmahler

Nicely done.
                    I agree with Allison- the peripheral edges could all be softened.

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                    Winston Churchill.
                    http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

budigart

My opinion/comment concerns edges, which to my eye are too hard, especially his head as it comes around from back to front. Brush in a bit of background and soften the back edge of the head as it moves from back forward. Also, there is an unexplained bluish reflected light on his right (our left) neck below the ear. I think your painting would have been stronger without so much blending. I’d like to see more distinct planar work, often referred to as tiling.

STIV

Whoo-hoo! Thank you all. No book can take the place of a correction.
                            I was in a still-mate with this but your comments are inspirational. I will really try to implement a softening in the peripheral edges and improve my darks by using the background colors. I will also try to learn what tiling is and how to implement a distinct planar work.
                            I thought that by using a color contrast in the shadow (blue vs red) I would correct the hard age of the neck and define the cheek but tricks can not bypass faults in conception.

I really appreciate.

equinespirit

Looks great!
                                I agree with the comments on edges to improve it even further but you have done a lovely job and I really like the painterly finish on the shirt /BG etc.

carolkay

Beautiful work ..all I wld say is ..some soft edges used and a couple of harder edges right in the center of interest! Maybe tone down the neck .. a high lite on the cranium !
                                    If you don’t agree .. it’s ok … it’s yr painting !

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
                                    STIV

I appreciate.
                                        This portrait depicts my father Antony Kakara (Αντώνης Κακαράς).

STIV

Least but not last, showing the relevant pencil sketch that I had as a source clarifies my process. It also shows some initial mistakes that I had made from the start, some of which I corrected, whilst others remained till the final oil painting and were spotted (for the pencil sketch : hard ages all around the figure, very dark background, very big cranium mass and wrong placement of the ear).
                                            Also, I inserted a new sketch which is in progress and in the far future is going to be transformed into an oil painting.
                                            Every comment is welcome and highly appreciated. Everything that it is written here is a compass for my upcoming endeavors. Reading books is my other companion. Very helpful to a starter like me were the following titles :
                                            1 The Artist’s Complete Guide to drawing the head (Maughan)
                                            2 How to draw Portraits in Charcoal (Fowkes)
                                            Sight – Size portraiture (Beer)
                                            3 Lessons in Masterful Portrait Drawing (Yim)
                                            Drawing the head and hands (Loomis)
                                            As for drawing and understanding color (which for me means understanding the importance of sienna ) among other books I find the
                                            1 Portraits from life in 29 steps (Sanden)
                                            2 Richard Schmid paints the figure
                                            3 The two books of Mr Gurney

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.