Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    donnadabb

What brand paint would y’all recommend for wet on wet technique ?

Richard P

Well, do you want stiffer paint or looser? Do you like a long open time before it dries? How much medium (if any) do you want to add?

What brand paint would y’all recommend for wet on wet technique ?

I suggest you start with the archives on this subject…there are hundreds. How much can you afford to spend on paint? That is an important question to answer from the start. There is no one “brand” that fits all artist needs or likes. I have settled on a couple of brands of higher end professional paints…over the last 30+ year as a professional. But there are a few pigments/colors made by different manufacturers that no other company has. I use all of them for wet on wet. Stay out of hardware stores for all and any painting liquids for fine art.

The Gamblin company offers a wide range of colors and is made here in the US. Several of the online art stores run discounts frequently and has specials on shipping. I recommend going solvent free and Gamblin offers several products that work beautifully. Oil painting is not an inexpensive hobby, but it is rewarding and forgiving (most problems can be fixed). Good brushes make a difference too, that doesn’t mean the most expensive though.

Wishing you the best.

Angel :angel:
            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Gigalot

You need slowly drying paint to work wet-in-wet. Fast drying paints are not useful. Siic Maries from China is good for that technique. Most paints from that brand dries slowly. For brown paint take Transparent mars brown, such a fantastic quality brown color. Quin and Cadmium for reds, Ultramarine and Phthalo for blues, Hansa and Cadmium for Yellow. Ivory Black for black. Daler Rowney artists Titanium White and China Maries Zinc-Titanium White are fine. Calcium Carbonate paste should be fine, premix Phthalo Blue with it 4:1 to get Blue lake paint.

Sparro

Something that takes a long time to dry, so that it stays wet. So when you are ready to paint over it, it will still be wet. Of course, it you are fast painter, then it may not matter. It depends on your style. Bob Ross was known for his wet on wet technique and he has his own line of oil paints. They are probably not professional grade, though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.