Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Your favorite oil paint

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ruben Arts

What is your favorite oil paint brand and why?

There is no one answer to this question. Read the archives on WC and you will find many, many different answers. That is an important place to start, many WC posters have given excellent information on this and a great deal of their time.

Do you want buttery, extra thick or loose paint from the tube? What binder do you want? Drying time…quick or long? Do you want very fine grind or coarse grind? Are you looking for student grade or Professional grade paints? Do you want to paint thick or medium to thin. Do you want major brush stokes to show or no brush strokes? Traditional oils or WMO?

MOST important is how much do you want to spend for your paints? If a thrifty budget is what you have in mind then there are plenty of options all with cons and pros, but usable. A beginner doesn’t need professional oils while learning techniques and brush work. The low end of professional oils are okay for this. Pigment load and pigment quality have a vastly wide range among brands. For many who haven’t used or experienced top line professional oils in a number of various colors, they will tell people the cheap paints work great…that’s their experience. All painters here with actual experience will give you different opinions, there is no one right answer.

Where you live is another consideration. Not all paint brands are available world wide.

My favorite brand is Williamsburg…top of the line pigment load and pigment quality in mid-price range cost. The best range of earth colors and excellent grind (from extra fine to coarse). I get more bang for my money because it takes less paint due to the high quality. Every company’s color range is different. A PB15 in one brand will be different in every other brand as far as color results. It takes making your own color samples to see the actual differences between brands. For me WB hits the mark for the majority of my needs. There are some colors that I get from other brands to meet my needs. Permalba Original White is my go to white…the least yellowing of all brands I have ever used.

So…give some thought to the questions I have asked and then you will get better answers to your question.

Angel :angel:
        Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
        http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

contumacious

For me there is one answer to the question. My favorite oil paints would be the ones I make for myself. You should give it a try! I started with just a sheet of glass, a big palette knife and some inexpensive earth pigments.

I can choose the carrier, be it linseed, walnut, safflower or poppy seed oil, walnut being my favorite or a mix of walnut and linseed. The texture and stiffness of the mix, pigment type & load, alkyd or no alkyd, thixotropic or not, etc. It isn’t rocket science. Oil plus paint plus mulling. Done. There are not very many paint brands out there made with walnut oil. Now I can mix any color I want in walnut often for a tiny fraction of the cost and never as much as buying it over the counter plus it is relaxing and enjoyable to do. My only regret is that I didn’t try this 50 years ago.

Of course the standard negative forum response to making your own paint is, “I would rather paint than make paint.” A valid position if your time is limited or you don’t like it. I have unlimited time but limited funds, plus I like to paint 4 to 6 foot wide panels. Making my own encaustics and oils allows me to do that well within my budget. For the less expensive pigments the most expensive component is the TUBE so I put the paint in re-usable solvent resistant syringes or jars. After having done this for a few years now with encaustics and just recently with oils, even if it cost the same as the artist quality store bought stuff, I would probably still choose mulling my own over buying it as.

As for it taking away from painting time, it doesn’t cut into my painting schedule at all. I start painting between 6 and 8 AM,and usually stop after 6-8 hours since my eyes, my brain and my left hand fingers can’t take much more than that. Mulling paint takes very little concentration and is good exercise for the arm, shoulder and hand muscles. I can use my non painting hand to mull so it is not fatigued at all from the morning painting session. I can watch a movie, talk with friends or family, listen to an e-book or music while doing it.

My favorite store bought paint is also an easy one answer for me. M. Graham, though I do like quite a few others too. I just don’t buy any of them anymore.

Frents

I agree with the previous post about selfmade paints – they are the best. If i am in a hurry and need a tube, i go for Old Holland. This brand is much less expensive than all the American brands since i live in Europe. My general answer would be: the best you would want to pay for, as long as you like the quality and properties of it.

WFMartin

At present I am concentrating on using up a hodgepodge of oil paints that I “inherited” from several painters who quit painting.

However, my choice for oil paint is now those that are available from “The Art Treehouse” in Madison, Wisconsin. They are bound in Walnut Oil, and I like the behavior of paints such as those. Since The Art Treehouse does not offer all the colors that I feel I need, I purchase M. Graham paints from local supply stores. Their binder is Walnut Oil, as well, and they are very good paints, at a reasonable price.

My choice for paints whose binder is Linseed Oil is Grumbacher Pretested Oils. In my opinion, those are the best quality paint for the price.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

koumk

If money is not a problem for you then Michael Harding, Natural Pigments Williamsburg blockxx (I have never try vasari)

If money is a problem then buy whatever you can pay for it. Or you can make your own paint

If i may give you an advise try to buy single pigment paints and dont buy hues

But always remember. Its the painter who makes the difference, not the paint

Kostas

NaomiGrindlay

I also mull my own paint, and love the process. It’s hard work, yes, but worth the effort. no fillers, I get to control the quality of my oils. I mull with cold pressed Walnut oil as I prefer my oils to dry a little slower.

JCannon

People here are probably tired of my saying this, but for me, the best paint in terms of quality-for-price is Shiva (also sold as the Plaza Arts house brand). Not perfect, but they’re pro paints at close-to-student-prices.

The best student lines are Winton and Gamblin 1980.

The best paint in my personal collection is Langridge, a “snob” paint made in Australia.

M. Graham deserves a mention because the pigmentation is so high.

But in the end, one must put in a word for good old W&N. It’s available everywhere, the quality is usually good, and the ubiquity of the stuff means that it is pretty easy to find sales.

Alan P. in OC

Michael Harding.
                                    Blockx.
                                    Williamsburg.

In that order:).

For those who make their own paints, good for you. I personally take 2 years per painting or so:), making my own paints would be like growing my own cotton to assemble my own fabric so I can sew my own blue jeans, it just isn’t worth the time.

Plus, am I going to make better paint than Michael Harding, who’s been doing it for like 40 years professionally? Not likely.

NaomiGrindlay

Anyone can mull their own oil paint, it’s not rocket science.

Alan P. in OC

Anyone can mull their own oil paint, it’s not rocket science.

Neither is making ice cream, but I don’t care for the idea of churning cream and sugar for 30-60 min. and freezing it when I have a craving at midnight:).

When you get 3-4 hours a day – max, to paint, who wants to make their own paints? Plus, I reiterate that I couldn’t make better paint than someone like Michael Harding, who’s been doing this for 40+ years.

I also don’t believe anyone who’s in the market for my paintings care in the least if I make my own paints. :)

Richard P

It also depends on the pigment. Carbon black and iron oxides are so cheap that even non premium paints will have good amounts of them (the extenders can actually work out more expensive then these pigments!).

For these colours handling properties (i.e. stiff, loose, drying time) become more important.

Michael Lion

But in the end, one must put in a word for good old W&N. It’s available everywhere, the quality is usually good, and the ubiquity of the stuff means that it is pretty easy to find sales.

W&N is very underrated (at least by people who want to sound like they are more knowledgeable than the average artist).

Gigalot

It also depends on the pigment. Carbon black and iron oxides are so cheap that even non premium paints will have good amounts of them (the extenders can actually work out more expensive then these pigments!).

For these colours handling properties (i.e. stiff, loose, drying time) become more important.

Phthalo blue and Phthalo Green are cheap as well! Diox is also useful when in student grade. Bright Blue industrial paint has Phthalo Blue pigment concentration 0,39%. All other content is fillers, extenders, binder and Tit. White.

Anonymous

W&N is very underrated

due of the myth that homemade or extremely expensive boutique paints, are “oh so much better!” than ordinary bourgeois grade paints.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Your favorite oil paint’ is closed to new replies.