WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 12:08 PM

Hails from United States
Looking for an assessment of my work over the last year.

Its been a year now since I got back into oil painting. Mostly doing landscapes but I was trying to branch out some.
Anyway I'm hoping some of you will give honest opinions on my work over the year. Is my art any good? Am I getting better? What are things I should focus on improving? What are the things I seem to have right?
Iím just trying to get a feeling of where people think my artwork stands and what areas I should try improving in over the next year.
Below are the 7 small paintings Iíve done over the last year in the order they were done.

Tiny PracticePpond 3"x5"

Practice Tree #1 4.5"x6"

Practice tree #2 4.5"x6"

Still Life of Radish 4.5"x6"

Practice Tree #3 4.5"x6"

Study of Face 4.5"x6"

Study of Girl 4.5"x6"

Thanks for any replies.

Also I want to thank everyone here at wet canvas who has given me advice and helped me to get these paintings to where they are.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 02:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Looking for an assessment of my work over the last year.

Improving for sure..
It all takes a lot of practice, reassessing your work & continued studying of advanced artists & their work.

If you notice a very textured surface, it might be good to prep it with more layers , gesso before painting.
more variation in your colors - like greens/grasses is always good..
light direction & shadowing matching up is important
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Florida

Hails from United States

Good work on your trees. Non-perfect is so much more pleasant to look at in trees - also more airy spaces within the branches. You're doing quite well - keep going.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 11:59 AM

I see your progress in the sense that you are taking new challenges, like with portraits. In the landscapes, in my opinion you already had great sense of color from very beginning. So in this regard I see them the same and they are all good. With landscapes I think that the next is to add more complex lighting. Backlighted, fog, etc.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Redneck, have you had tuition?
Are you (or have you been) involved in a class, a group, workshops, that sort of thing?
Or are you self-taught?

By the way, I'll bet the question "Is my art any good? Do I have any talent?" Is asked daily, if not hourly, by many of us

:::
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone.
Sounds like I need to work with lighting and shadows more.

Quote:
If you notice a very textured surface, it might be good to prep it with more layers , gesso before painting.
Not sure why but I never really considered gessoing the smaller ones more to level them out. Iíll have to start doing that.

Quote:
Redneck, have you had tuition?
Are you (or have you been) involved in a class, a group, workshops, that sort of thing?
Or are you self-taught?
Iím not really sure how to answer that one.
My grandmother started teaching me to oil paint when I was a child but after a few years I lost interest. She was a decent painter who had been taught by a locally well known artist.
But other then that Iíve had no real training.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Somewhere in my RV / Studio

Steve here... a retired university art professor. Here is something you may want to consider. The impressionist Renoir was asked his opinion on the best way to learn to paint. He said "It is in the museum that one learns to paint... it is in the museum that one gets this feeling for painting that nature alone can not give". Renoir did not mean go to the museum to be inspired or get a warm fuzzy feeling, he meant go there, choose a master painting, and COPY IT! Don't try to interpret it, or change it up a bit... no, he meant COPY. By copying someone who has already translated a scene in 3D to a flat painting surface with paint, you will learn how it is done. You will not need to ask anyone how you are doing. You can compare yourself with the master and see for yourself. Otherwise, I think all other feedback is subjective.

Then, as you gain confidence and skill you can begin creating your own paintings instead of just doing copies. You do not need to go to a museum, get a high quality print of a painting to work from. Most of my students went out on their own after 2-3 copies.

If you are unsure of how to mix colors, all you need is 5 colors. I have attached a guide I gave to my students.

Oil Mixing Guide.pdf

Last edited by ArtistWithaView : 12-11-2019 at 03:03 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck647
But other then that Iíve had no real training.
OK, I didn't want to presume anything
Why not find painting lessons in your area that suit you?
I live in a city, so there are lots of options: Evening classes, adult education, that sort of thing.
Being involved in something where a qualified teacher moves you along with projects and goals, with good criticism,
where you can ask questions as you go, can really be beneficial, and give a foundation to carry on your own explorations.
Because you have asked so candidly, I will tell you honestly that I don't see a lot of progress in your work,
and the fact that you have asked the question, suggests some degree of frustration.
Some formal classwork may give you the structure to BUILD progress ON, if you see what I mean.
Very few great painters are self taught. Most spent years and years "at the feet of the master".
All the best to you in your endeavours

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 09:53 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

You need to paint more than seven paintings a year.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Hails from United States

First I just want to apologize for my delay in replying. Iíve been really sick lately.

ArtistWithaView. Thank you. Do you know of any reliable places to order such prints from?

Jeffro Jones thank you. And I appreciate your honesty.
Iím from any city and the few class I have found locally are rare. There are a few art classes I've found but they're all one time things and very few of them are on painting. The ones that are the only real oil painting class seems to be by a guy teaching Bob Ross classes about twice a year.

Michaelshane I completely agree. I feel like I take longer then I should working on them plus I have trouble finding time to really sit and paint. Both are things that I want to work on improving.
Iím hoping to move to larger paintings next year as I get things finished up but I'm considering trying to do at least 1 smaller painting a month too.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

If you are painting, and actively seeking out and employing concepts toward your next step, then you are improving. Your frame of mind matters- if you are challenged, growing, and being patient with progress and yourself, good things will always happen. Ask for and accept critique- others will help.

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
First I just want to apologize for my delay in replying. Iíve been really sick lately.
Sorry to hear this. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Quote:
the few class I have found locally are rare.
Ouch! It looks like you will have to rely on yourself.
Look, strengthening your drawing will help you a lot, IMHO.
"Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson" is one of the best no-nonsense nuts-n-bolts drawing course I've seen in book form.

I've done all the exercises in real time in real drawing classes, so I know they work.
Drawing for a painter is like jogging for an athlete.
You need to hit the track, buddy, and get some miles under your belt
Carry a sketchbook and pen/pencil with you, and draw from life using one of the exercise techniques whenever you can.
If you use a sketchbook, you can look back, and see progress happening, which is encouraging.
Improving your drawing REALLY DOES give you more confidence as an artist, and will not hurt your creativity in the slightest!

All the best

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
If you are painting, and actively seeking out and employing concepts toward your next step, then you are improving. Your frame of mind matters- if you are challenged, growing, and being patient with progress and yourself, good things will always happen. Ask for and accept critique- others will help.
Thanks. Iím always happy to receive critique of my work.

Quote:
Sorry to hear this. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks. I'm hoping that I'm heading in that direction.

Quote:
Ouch! It looks like you will have to rely on yourself.
Look, strengthening your drawing will help you a lot, IMHO.
"Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson" is one of the best no-nonsense nuts-n-bolts drawing course I've seen in book form.
I completely suck at drawing. But I'll pick the book up and give it a try.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

Design is key in Landscape- your first here, (Tiny Practice Pond 3x5) has a nice design, a good range of color/value, textures/brushwork, and focal point in the house. The gray shapes on the water can be taken out- not sure what they are.

Practice Tree #3 has some of those qualities. The value/color on left distance is very good, and the variety in the main tree. To watch for: the cloud on left lower has repetitious shapes, the evergreen shape below the main tree lacks value, and the grasses lower right foreground are dull in treatment.

The red-haired portrait is weak in values and drawing. Portraits are very demanding in all respects. Study each aspect separately until you have more experience and understanding.

The window figure is a good concept and works- again, drawing on the foot: although small is important. The foliage outside is good in value but not designed, now forming a non-natural pattern.

Learn, improve, discover, and above all, keep working!

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Immortalized
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

These are an excellent start, keep going, each painting you do is a big learning curve. After the first dozen or so the rate of improvement may feel like it is slowing down, but the things one is looking at is really changing is all. Try to be mindful of what you are doing at each step of the way for the most possible gain of knowledge.

From what I can see, you are definitely improving. The areas I feel probably need the most work is that of brush control, so that the edges and strokes made look intentional. A lot of the work looks either dabbed on, as for impression of leaves on trees, or scrubbed in.

Making marks that look intended and convey a lot of information effectively can be very difficult, but I feel a good book worth reading is Brushwork Essentials by Mark Christopher Weber. It gives you the most important information of how to load a brush and apply paint with a brush to achieve the look one wants. I really should go back through and follow some of the tutorials in the book again myself actually... Lost my practice paintings from many years ago when I first worked through that book.

Also, the writing in the above mentioned book is fun and entertaining to read, so just an easy read that has huge amounts of good information.

Delofasht