WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Pen and Ink Help Desk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 AM

Re: What kind of pen do you use?

I just found a huge 100 cm long calligraphy brush on sale on ebay uk and it is really incredible, 17,5 cm long hair with 6,5 cm horse hair diameter! WOW
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 PM

I like the Rotring Rapidograph for small stuff and Micron Brush for larger fill work...
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
Rockville Maryland

Hails from United States

I used rapidographs with I illustrated in the service back in 73_75 then once in college I started to use quill nibs. They have me the freedom of veried with line and the since of free flowing line instead of illustration.
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 AM
San Diego, CA

I've been using a Koh-I-Noor RapidoSketch 0.25mm. I've found that as long as you use it regularly it doesn't give too many problems, is easily refillable and cheaper to replace than the Rotring pens if it does stop working altogether.
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2012, 06:28 PM

I started with dip pens (still love them!) then moved on to Koor-I-Noor Rapidograph; got the set of 7 and use them all! (That 6x0 is a booger to keep flowing, though!)
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Hails from United States

I use the reliable Prismacolor Premier Fine Line Marker of all sizes. I would only use the 005 to shades/crosshatching though.
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 AM

I use rapidographs sometimes, and Copic Multiliners, but also dip pens.
What the dip pens lose in portability they make up for in easy cleaning and choices of ink. And expressiveness, I think.
I inherited a lot of nibs from my wife's grandfather and have tried most of them (there are hundreds)
The one that stands out for me lately is an Esterbrook 6 Textwriter.
According to Wikipedia Carl Barks (a Disney artist) loved the Esterbrook 356.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esterbrook
I have some 356s and they are good, too.
I also like the Gillott 1066

Regards,
John
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 PM

I believe I posted before that I loved the Esterbrook 048 Falcon nib. It's an excellent nib, but I've now moved over to using an Esterbrook 256 School Oval Fine nib. It is just beautiful. It's allowed me to be even more expressive than ever.
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Ocean Pines, Maryland

Hails from United States

Thanks to this thread, I purchased some Micron pens as well as a Lamy Safari with extra fine point using Noodler's black ink. I am delighted with the way they handle.
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 AM

I've used a variety of different types of pens over the years.
I'm not a big fan of any pen I need to clean out. I like to think "low maintenance" wherever possible.
I used to use sharpees to sketch in the park daily. I LOVE the flexibility of line and no refilling. Due to health issues, I've needed to avoid any pen that has inks that bother me.
I also prefer to use archival ink.......yet not any inks with a shellac base or alcohol base......
Lately, I only use the Pilot Precise V5 and V7....as well as the Signo 207.
The pen market is a sea of...........OMG! I haven't a clue!.....for me.

So, I'm still looking for a flexible nib pen that will give me great flexible line with an ink that won't bother me..........and am too afraid to try them and go through the huge sea of possibilities.
Any thoughts on how to narrow down the possible negative exposures to my health?.........while finding a pen and ink I can count on and truly enjoy?
thanks.
di
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM
NJ

Hails from United States

whoa!! Nicely done!!

Its not what you look at that matters, but what you see
http://youtube.com/user/lighternoteprod
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 AM
NJ

Hails from United States

I use pigma microns too! love 'em! .005, .02, .03, .05, .08 and 1 :-)

Its not what you look at that matters, but what you see
http://youtube.com/user/lighternoteprod
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Lord of the Arts

For fifteen years I used nothing but dip pens (mostly Gillot 303 & 291) - then one day I realised that my style didn't really take advantage of much variation of line width at all !
I immediately switched to fountain pens to avoid the tiring dip/clean/dip cycle, I used a platinum ultra extra fine nib ( PTB 5000 mostly)this was OK for another few years but those fountain pen inks are so thin & fade terribly in the light also even the softest of erasers can damage a line.
For a couple of years I'd been using a pilot G4 rollerball gel pen just for sketching (about a 0.2 line) it had lovely thick black ink that doesn't fade even in a sunny window for a year ! Then last year pilot brought out their 0.25 version which writes a VERY fine hair line (easily as thin as a .005 fine liner) That was it, I switched again I was now a pilot gel pen man !
Now the very finest of these IS delicate & you've got to be gentle but you do get a lovely ,permanent rich black which resists any erasure of pencil guide lines. Cheap, easy to get a hold of & use. Only if I was doing some drawing requiring long expressive lines like say figure drawing would I ever consider getting out my dip pens nowadays.
  #164   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 AM
North East England

Hails from United Kingdom

Is this the place to discuss pro markers? I had to get some for college, quite expensive but from what Ive seen they look cool. I got a pack of 12 Letrasets, double sided and includes a blending pen. Never used them but Ive noticed there's a few you tube videos about them.

I also have some fine liners, .1 to .5, as I like drawing with black ink.

My Facebook Art Page
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Erie, PA

Hails from United States

I use Micron, not only for the sizes are great for detailing, but the black is so BLACK...it was a couple years ago but I think it was Prismacolor that I tried and hated the black because it had a brown hue of sorts, so back to Micron for me and I haven't tried anything else since. Although after reading this I am going to seriously try a few of the others. Little Floating Otter I did last week as part of a bigger piece. (sorry was taken with my cell phone so not the best picture)