WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Atlanta

Hails from United States
German artist supplies

Greetings All,

My wife is going to Germany, and the thought crossed my mind to ask you all....what kind of or specific art stuff could she get there that would be less expensive/better quality?

I am new to the art world-had to give up woodworking due to arthritis, so here I am trying to create something worthwhile in Gouache, watercolor, or colored pencil....

Any suggestions would be great.

Best, David
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 05:53 AM

Re: German artist supplies

I know you can get most German art supplies in the US, but they are a lot cheaper here. Faber Castell, Schmincke and Hahnemühle immediately come to mind. Schmincke has wonderful watercolour and gouache paints (pretty much all ranges, but their Horadam line is their artist grade stuff), Faber Castell for coloured pencils (Polychromos) and Hahnemühle for really good paper (I love their Britannia as a low cost, but surprisingly good quality paper for practice and their Czecanne and Leonardo papers are just wonderful high quality cotton papers). Depending on where your wife is in Germany, she might want to see if there is a Gerstaecker store nearby. They are a huge art store chain and have a huge range at reasonable prices.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2019, 03:33 AM

I would also suggest Gerstaecker, but if not in a big city, stores can be small. Their online store has everything though. Their prices are normally the lowest of all, and same in Internet or stores. She can pay with Paypal and has it delivered in 3 days to where she stays. Someone will need to help to navigate the site - no English there.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Europe

See www.creativ-discount.de site translates to english and a few cities : Dusseldorf , Koln/Cologne and Heiligenhaus (Rhein-Ruhr)have shops to visit. One can shop online but delivery is not always in a few days.
See www.kunstpark-shop.de they have the new Frau Holle Van Gogh water color set. See www.boesner.com
Even if site is only german, few basic words one can look at supplies.
Farben = colors. Pinsel = brush. Aquarell = watercolor. Papiere = paper.
Use search box for brand name.
Schmincke Horadam cadmium red watercolor half pan is 5.89 euro = usd 6.30. CP supplies like Faber Castell the red metal tins coloring pencils are affordable price and better quality than the usual aimed at kids level.
Youtube has some haul videos of art supplies bought at german shops.
Brand Marabu has lots of good paints and mixed media supplies.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwiredweird
I know you can get most German art supplies in the US, but they are a lot cheaper here. Faber Castell, Schmincke and Hahnemühle immediately come to mind. Schmincke has wonderful watercolour and gouache paints (pretty much all ranges, but their Horadam line is their artist grade stuff), Faber Castell for coloured pencils (Polychromos) and Hahnemühle for really good paper (I love their Britannia as a low cost, .

Cheaper here? Excellent !

I never heard of Hahnemuhle, or the other paper

She's, at this moment westbound over the Atlantic. God willing I shall have her back in a few hours.

Thanks for your input,
David
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys51
See www.creativ-discount.de site translates to english and a few cities : Dusseldorf , Koln/Cologne and Heiligenhaus (Rhein-Ruhr)have shops to visit. One can shop online but delivery is not always in a few days.

I'm having problems with them after my recent and only purchase. Gerstaecker was always great.