WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Pen and Ink Help Desk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from England
What kind of pen do you use?

This is a read-only file, the original can be found here.

Dear Moderators & Guides,

I have noticed there are many questions relating to what pens are used by artists who choose the Pen & Ink medium. I have been asked on several occasions what pens I use. I know there are many different pens out there and you can use each one for different applications. So.....do you think it would be a good idea to add a Sticky Thread illustrating the pens available.

Now this is something that I would be very happy to do. However, I am one of those artists who is stuck in a rut and only use one brand of pen/s. It could be a thread to take each persons thoughts and experiences and then close and add as a Sticky.

I thought it would be a great reference, not just for those just begining with Pen & Ink but for the likes of myself who could do with broadening their horizons. I dunno.....what do you guys think?

eef

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 11-03-2016 at 05:26 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2007, 09:08 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Idea for a Sticky Thread

There are pen (and ink!) reviews here ---->http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...p?showforum=76
but they are not necessarily written from the point of view of doing art. (But they are sure interesting!)

The Fountain Pen Network folks have devised a format for their reviews, which I think is an excellent idea, to give some structure to the endeavor of collecting reviews. That format is spelled out here. So if we do it here, I think a format similar to that might be helpful.

Jan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Mesa, AZ

Hails from United States

OK, I might have acquired a few more markers since this was taken and lost a few (my nice orangy-yellows) too. Basically Microns which vary from 005 (smallest) to 05 (largest) and a few markers of varied manufacture. I kind of grab these when I see them and when I need a particular color ~ tans, yellows, pinks, grays are not well represented in Micron. Unfortunately, the other markers usually have larger nib sizes.
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sarnia, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Out of lurkdom .... I'd love to read about the pens people use - I general do ink sketches followed by watercolour washes - so permanence is important. Currently I'm using a Staedtler 03, but I find it very dry. I'll like to find something that has a smoother flow - my fine Sharpie may be my next choice.
My stuff is generally not meant for public consumption so I'm not as concerned with the archival nature of the pen - but a nice flow that IS archival would be great to find.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Sherwood Park, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Galos
Out of lurkdom .... I'd love to read about the pens people use - I general do ink sketches followed by watercolour washes - so permanence is important. Currently I'm using a Staedtler 03, but I find it very dry. I'll like to find something that has a smoother flow - my fine Sharpie may be my next choice.
My stuff is generally not meant for public consumption so I'm not as concerned with the archival nature of the pen - but a nice flow that IS archival would be great to find.

I use the Micron pens (.005, .05 and .08). You can get your paper wet and they don't run. Great for drawing in the rain. I experienced that yesterday :-))
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
baltimore

Hails from United States
Re: What kind of pen do you use?

I like using the micron pens, but I also have a rapidograph pen, with a 3x0/.25, 1/50 and a 4/1.20 nibs. But I'm a newbie too so pens a fun to play with.
golfcharlie....
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Michigan

Hails from United States

I use a Number 0 Series 7 Windsor and Newton Sable Brush for a lot of my pen and ink stuff in combination with Microns, especially the 005 and 05. I used to use Kohinoor pens but I got fed up with them getting clogged up all the time, especially the smaller nibs. I tried out the Micron brush pens but I found that they didn't give me anywhere near the kind of control I had with a Series 7 brush. The Series 7 brushes are expensive but they are well worth it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
London

Hails from United Kingdom

I'm surprised at no mention of Gillott nibs, used in the golden age of pen drawing, Montgomery Flagg etc they can still be bought and are made specifically for drawing. I would feel there is no better nib for drawing.
http://www.dippennibs.co.uk/
http://illustrationart.blogspot.com/...ery-flagg.html
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Peabody, MA

Hails from United States

Ethan Great idea. One thread of another, I like the Microns because they are easy. I have a Pentel Cartridge pen set that flows better than the microns, but needs more care to keep it from drying out. - Chris
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2007, 10:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Great idea, Ethan. Why don't we all answer to this thread, then we can edit it and make it a sticky?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Hails from United States

I would love to see this, since I think I am the most recent newbie to ask eef which pens he uses. Thanks again for the information, BTW.

I am very interested in the types of pens each of you amazing artists uses, but I would also love to see an example of artwork done with that pen or pens. Do you think that might be useful in this thread also? A link could be added to each post to each members gallery if that would make it easier.

Just my 2 cents,
donna
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2007, 03:21 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States

Ethan, I suggest that we make another thread called Pen's People Use and set it up as a sticky from the beginning. That way people can share their experiences with different pens.

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Hails from United States

I guess I'm a technophob from the dark ages. I use Hunt's pen nibs with crow quill holders and dip into my ink. I like the feel and everything about the "old fashioned way". I have tried prefilled pens before and HATED them. Over time the ink turns a weird purple color. I do have to deal with buildup but have found the best cleaner for ink and pens is this environmentally safe stuff called "Planet Solutions" concentrate.
Cher
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Pens I use, in no particular order ---

-- Pilot Razor Point (black ink) and a Niji Waterbrush (or a brush and a cup of clear water) for pen+ink+wash sketching - These ubiquitous cheapie pens are loaded with a very nice water-soluble ink that washes easily to a nice deep blue-black. (See two examples here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418470)
Once you moisten the line and let it dry, it becomes a mostly permanent mark and you can watercolor with abandon. Pen available at any office supply store (be sure to get the silver pen with the black ink), any art supply store, or from Dick Blick for less than two dollars, here: http://www.dickblick.com/zz207/03/

-- Copic Multiliner -- When I want a solid waterproof line. Copic pens are refillable come in six widths, at $2.50 each. Alternative is the Zig Millennium at $1.89 each or the Sakura Pigma Micron Pen, at $1.84. All three of these are available at any local art store or from Cheap Joe’s or Dick Blick online.

-- Lamy Vista fountain pen with a 1.1 mm calligraphy nib -- My sketchbooks are really sketchbook/journals and I like to write as well as sketch, so I have been using this fountain pens to do both. The black ink that comes in the cartridges is okay but not as good as some of the beautiful water-soluble inks out there in bottles. If you decide to go that route, be sure to buy the converter, so you can fill from bottles. These pens are available from John Neal, for $35.00 plus $4.95 for the converter: http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/7

You can get the same 1.1 mm calligraphy nib on a Lamy Joy body for a tiny bit less money. But it is a longer pen. Not very compact. Again, be sure to also get the converter.

-- Niji Waterbrush Mini Set (12mm brush point) filled with black ink. Use three and fill each with a different dilution of the same ink so, together with the blank clean white of the paper, you have four tones to work with. The waterbrush is $5.58 at Dick Blick: http://www.dickblick.com/zz051/33/

-- Pelican M200 with a medium "I" (italic) nib, filled with any of those fun inks listed below. Outstanding writing AND sketching pen, very fluid and smooth. The pen is available at any good pen store or online for around $80.

INKS!!! Water soluble inks that I have found so far that I like:
- Private Reserve Velvet Black - jet black lines that wash into a beautiful black with just the tiniest hint of plum. Beautiful!
- Noodler’s Walnut - dark, dark, brown lines that wash into a perfect burnt sienna color. Gotta work fast before it totally dries.
- Private Reserve Chocolat - very dark brown lines that wash into a reddish burnt sienna color. (Example is here.)

I do not do stipples and so have no use for the "technical" drawing pens that I used way back when, when I was in grad school. Those Rapidiographs. Aaack. The name alone makes me shudder with the memory of the maintenance required to keep them from totally and irretrievably seizing up when left open for more than a half an hour. I don't draw on drafting film any more! If I want to use those archival waterproof PH-balanced no-fade will-last-longer-than-the paper inks, I will use the Copics and their cousins, or ye olde Speedball dip nib with Noodler's Bulletproof Black ink.

Jan
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Gilbert, Arizona

Hails from United States

Just to add to the list, Marvy Le Pen is my friend.