Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Silverpoint- "Gandalf’s Handiwork"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    redfang

So. . . I entered this in a juried drawing show, it didn’t get in (of course :lol:), but I enjoyed making it. It’s showing The Flight to the Ford from the perspective of Strider and the hobbits. It’s 10″x15″ on Canson printmaking paper coated with Golden silverpoint drawing ground. It’s finally starting to get a decent patina.

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

ScarlettRose

More shame to that judging panel, i think it is absolutely beautiful!
            If they had unicorn horns, my little granddaughter’s would adore it.
            So much work has gone into this, the detail is stunning.

Cheers Rosie.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” ― Pablo Picasso
            [/COLOR][FONT="Verdana"]:wink2:

redfang

Thank you for yor kind words, ScarlettRose! I wasn’t really expecting anything when I entered it, it’s not um. . . contemporary enough? *laughs* Not sure that’s the right word. Anyway. . . I’ve always loved silverpoint but the clay coated papers weren’t really archival. I randomly came across a post (might have been on WC) about the silverpoint ground by Golden and had to get some to try out.

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

Humburger

Stunningly beautiful! Good job. 😍

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

Beautiful!

Christel

Wassie

This is beautiful. Don’t feel bad about not getting accepted into the show. One never knows what the juror is looking for.

joe1It

it is splendid

- C & C welcome ( comments and criticisms highly appreciated)

— NOT allowed for Al training

redfang

Thank you for your lovely comments everyone! :heart: I don’t feel bad that it didn’t make the cut. There aren’t many drawing only competitions out there (at least not on Call For Entry) so it wasn’t a surprise that there were hundreds of entries. But I got something finished out of it, so I’m putting that in the win column. :lol:

Shows are generally ways to throw money away – at least IMO. My drawings have been judged unacceptable in places yet one of them found its way onto the cover of a book about drawing. It’s all arbitrary and based entirely on the preferences and taste of the judge(s). It’s nice when they see things your way but often enough, they don’t. You are far better off going into such things with the attitude you have of having completed something you are proud of and to heck with what others may think.

redfang

I actually don’t enter shows often because I don’t want to spend a lot. Gotten in twice, gotten rejected three times. The fee for the drawing contest was only $10 for up to four works. . . I figure I lose more than that in materials from failed artworks. :lol: It was online only, so there wouldn’t have been a need to mail anything at least.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.