WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: "Round the Campfire" Februrary

I still try to get used books on amazon - most of my art library, tho, was gained years ago when books were - ah - well, cheaper than today, and many are out of print [would imagine my art library alone is worth a few quid to the right folk]... most are instructional ones relating to my areas of interest, tho there are also collections of particular artists [Rembrandt, Rockwell, Frazetta, Booth, Hokusai, Wyeth, and so on], and others are lost classics like Prairie Wings [which has been reprinted in paperback] which is the best book for learning how to render ducks, flying and landing and so on...

[I won't go into the cookbook library - ]
[nor all the other thousands lining my walls, most of those being paperbacks, some from when they were 25 cents ]

and when lived in Milwaukee, used to go to Schroeder's, which was a three storied place which that old opera house reminds me of [lol, they even had old Edison CYLINDERS!!!, with machine to play them, for sale, along with the one-sided 78's, which added to my collection of 'ancient' recorded music ] so - despite the weather, were fond memories of my years up there...
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi there, gang!

Hi Robert. Wow, that's looking great! Do you use a straight edge for the lines in this, or freehand them? They are so straight and perfectly even. Its going to be a great drawing!

Your library sounds like the stuff of dreams. I just love books, and am developing quite a collection of my own. I have many books on art, both how-tos and artists. I also have many novels (I love novels), and a lot of books on writing technique. I order much of the time from amazon. It's hard to beat. I did feel a twinge of guilt at Borders booksellers closing altogether due to internet sales. I loved that chain.

Hi Kate. As it happens, I do have a spare bedroom. Come on over and hear the wolves. I'll be honest though, I've only heard them a handful of times, and they are distant. Even so, you can hear them.

Great going, picking up painting again! Feel free to post your rose drawing and painting here in the Campfire thread if you'd like. It's not really SW/W, but the Campfire is ok for these things.

Hi Jim. Thanks. I'm having a lot of fun with it! I am using an odorless paint thinner. It's the scent of the oils themselves that are bothersome. I tend to be overly sensative to any odors, even faint ones. I hope to just tough it out, because I'm having such a great time!

Oh, both those videos are hilarious! The guilty dog Denver is one of the best videos I've ever seen! That poor, fat doggie is the very definition of remorse. If you have some time and want to come to love a bird, go to YouTube and search Einstein the Talking Texan Parrot. That is one brilliant bird with a huge vocabulary. This is a good "starter" video of her very smart and clear speaking. She's an amazing bird. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrKvudS76Hg

Hi Eric. It sounds like you had the time of your life at that cattle roundup. Great photo! Feel free to join in around here - that's just what the Campfire is about.

Hi Linda. Congratulations on getting three pieces into the show! How wonderful! Let us know how it goes. Sounds like a great opprotunity!

Hi Donna. Thanks for that link. It looks like a great place! It's so huge. Book sections in antique places or used book stores are so wonderful. I hardly dare to start looking, because there's never enough time to see as many books as I'd like to.

Well, today I finally, finally finished a drawing that I've been working on for months. It's a boxer. Maybe when I get it on the computer, I'll post in here in the Campfire. Feels so good to have it done!

Hello to everybody! Talk to you later.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Mornin' campers!

Eric - thanks for sharing the photo! How fun!! Lots going on in that photo, the least of which is the dangerous position the cowboy is who has the calf by the tail. Made me laugh and brings back old memories. Awesome!!

Robert - sounds like I would enjoy spending some time in your library. Too cool!

Linda - way to go on submitting pieces to the show. That's something I have never done. Maybe one day....

Hello to the rest of the gang! Breakfast today is my egg bake with hash browns and toast, and of course - coffee!

Have a super day!
Kate
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Ahh Robert - another Wisconsin escapee, EH? I remember Schroeders. But mostly I remember snow and cold and humidity in the summer. And those lakes, and fresh farm goodies and dang nice folks. For the most part. Sounds like we have a similar book problem - when I moved out of our Colorado house we dug out of the cellarsomething like 600 books that we'd stashed there over the years. I really can't afford to buy everything, and am fortunate we have a pretty good library system here.
Kate - we don't have wolves, but plenty of coyotes. Unfortunately they do not play on command. Lately taken to chasing a new herd of big horn sheep around. They are all almost impossible to see unless they're moving - exactly the color of the rocks!
I really need to git! Enjoy this first day of March.