WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States
"Round the Campfire" Februrary

I hope you all don't mind if I start this thread up. I found out yesterday, I didn't get a job. The company I work for is reducing staff by 1200 people. There were over 40 people, doing what I do, competiting for 24 jobs. I was not one of the lucky ones. I will get to work until 2013, then get laid off if I don't find a job at less pay for the company I work for, or outside the company. It's a lot nicer than just being told you don't have a job, but it is a different kind of stress. 9 more jobs at the central office have opened up, doing what I do, but it will require a move, and I currently live in a house that is paid for.

On the fun side of things, we video taped my adopted daughter, and will upload her to youtube in the near future. She is dressed up like the in the 1800s, in front of our wood cook stove, and talking about the different parts, and her plans to start a fire and cook pancakes. It's a video book report we did it in sepia tone, just for fun. If you're curious about the stove, my great grandmother used it when she lived here. It is a Southbend Mallable, with the hot water reservoir, and warming oven, 6 burners, and will take wood or coal. We have the original installation instruction /owners manual for it. I'll post the youtube link when I get the video uploaded.

Have a great year!
Donald
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Re: "Round the Campfire" Februrary

Hey, thanks for getting the Campfire started for us, Donald! Oh no, I'm sorry to hear you didn't get that job. There are a lot of people struggling that way these days.

Be sure and share the link to that YouTube video of your daughter! It sounds like a lot of fun. Last year, I visited the 1880 Town in South Dakota and got the chance to dress up in period costume. I felt so at home in it that it was just a blast!

Hi Catherine. Thank you so much for the kind comments on my painting of Russ. I see that around here, he's earned a new nickname: Bowler Hat Guy. When you asked about his story, that's a big question to answer, and my time is a little short, so I'll let you read a little about him here if you'd like. http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/2011...oducin-myself/

Hi Jo. Any new paintings happening over there? I miss your work.

Hi Kate. Did I miss breakfast?

Hi Scatdaddy. I agree...calves can be frustrating little creatures, but those big eyes and the long lashes...it is too cute!

Hi Ron. Thank you so much for the kind comments.

Hi Lenore! It always makes my day when you pop in and say hello. I'm so glad you're doing well and feeling better. I hope Bob's upcoming shoulder surgery will go well so you'll both feel better. Thank you for the kind comments on my work, and thank you for visiting my blog. It means a lot. I hope you feel like painting soon. I really miss your work! Don't be a stranger...

Hi Donna. What a great collection of photos! I love the blue-eyed goat. We used to have a goat that looked just like that. We loved him - he was the best guard dog we ever had! Amazing mane on that horse, too. The sheep sure look cozy in those hoods.

Hi Robert. How is that rope drawing coming along?

Hi Lisa. Thank you so much! That jersey calf photo isn't mine. Just one I found somewhere. It is a cute little thing though, isn't it? Thank you for the comments in my painting. The teeth were surprisingly easy and a fun little part of the painting.

Happy February, everyone! We're slowly tip-toeing our way toward spring, and that makes me smile.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Catherine1

Good afternoon everyone.. Can't believe its February already.. 60+ here at the moment

Donald.. I'm saddened.. but its also heartening that you still have work till next year. You never know if the economy changes a bit your company may start to expand. Prayers you way in what ever you decide to do..
Cool about the stove.. or I mean hot.. ;-)

Donna.. I had to laugh seeing your coated friends.. Sheep are not very hardy at times and the stress of shearing along with the up and down temps makes for a sick ewe. Then they all end up sick.. Also the coats protect the new fleece from chaff and urine stains. Some herdspeople never take those coats off till the next shear date if the fleece of the animal is exceptional. Awards for the best fleece are like butterfat awards for cows. Makes your whole herds genetics desirable, so worth more.

Jen.. I'm headed to the Bowler Hat Guy's story.. :-) Don't cha just love the mild weather?

Dang.. running out of time... gots to run.. Getting the house sitter situated and then leaving tomorrow for Key West.. Yeah! I'm taking lessons with Mike Rooney while he is down there too. Hope he can help me with using oil paints. Joe is happy going fishing so I get to paint outside!!!!

Hi to everyone I missed.. Have a wonderful day all!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ0fyLKCOAc

Above is the link to my daughter's video, part 1.

Jenna and Catherine, thanks for the words of encouragement!

Donald
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Hey Lisa, it's all good (I started to reply and noticed the thread was closed and was like...what?? It's hard for me to realize it's already February! Time just flies by now a days)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

Sorry I have not been around here much. I have been swamped with work and trying to keep up with the oil painting thread.

Donald, I had to post just so I could tell you your daughter did a great job. She has a beautiful name and a personality to match. Will there be another installment. I want to see how the pancakes come out. They don't make stoves like that any more.

Hi Lenore always good to hear from you.

Jenna get to work with that Indian Yellow. Calf is too cute.
If you want to see cute, google "sneezing baby panda" for a Youtube video. My daughters showed it to me.

Donna, Corvair? Pretty cool.

Catherine, that would be a tough decision—fish or oil paint? What kind of fish in Key West?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Hola Amigos

Your story is timely Donald, and I can empathize. The reason I've been incognito, and not even painting, is that my spring classes were cancelled due to limited enrollment. So, as of Jan 16th I am unemployed as well. You are most fortunate that you got the notice you did. I found out on the 13th. Gotta love the way they treat teachers - especially adjunct faculty. I've been to the Minnesota Job Works office and they tell me that in this economy, considering my age, there is only a 25% chance that I will ever find another job. Doesn't seem fair that a guy with a degree in Renewable Energy, nearly five years of major market experience in Renewable Energy, and a lifetime of corporate experience should be unemployed and unable to find a job in the richest most energy intensive country in the world. At this point I'm about 45 days from homeless. That is not a joke or cynicism, its just the reality of the situation. I've given up the idea of staying here close to my kids. Minnesota is the most depressed solar market in the country. I'm sending resumes everyday all over the country but especially AZ, NM and TX. Hopefully I can find something with a relocation package and soon.

@Jenna - Enjoyed your paintings and the photo of the little calf. I snagged that pic for my ref library. Hope you are enjoying this weather - I sure am.

@Jo - Been watching the weather down there too. Seems to be holding right nice this year. I have several resumes out in the Austin area.

@Deb - Glad to hear things are improving with the grand baby. Hope you are not hurting too bad and that you recover from the surgery quickly.

@jim56 - Looks like your painting class is going well. I've been watching from afar.

@Marcus - Hope you are enjoying this warm weather too.

@Kate - Been enjoying your breakfasts - always makes me smile.

@Robert - Welcome back - good to see you again. Looking forward to seeing some new renderings.

@Catherine - How's the studio coming? Hope you have a great time in Key West.

@Cyntada - A very belated welcome to the campfire to you.

@Jim (scatdaddy) - Hope you're doing well. I sure am enjoying your drawing from the swap. It brings lots of smiles during this challenging time.

Hi Ron, Lenore (nice to meet you), Donna, Lisa and anyone else I may have missed.

Vaya con Dios,

~Don

CLICK HERE to visit my Image GalleryCLICK HERE to visit my Website
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Yep Jim, a '62 Monza 900 named Paige I'll see about getting a pic of her up here. I love that car more than just about anything

Don, so sorry to hear about your situation. I hope it improves and I will be mentioning you at my bible study tomorrow night. God has a plan and His ways aren't our ways so hang in there till he makes it known
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Here's my baby girl....oh, and that's the hubby's '56 oval window beetle in the background if anybody's interested in a project car

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 08:37 AM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Don- Sorry to hear your situation. I like Donna's comments. One of my mottos is that things always tend to work their way out in the end. Maybe you get new job in warmer climate!?

Donna- thats a cool ride! Nice stockshow photos too!

Donald- havent seen utube vidio yet, but plan to later tonight....

Lisa- howdy to you guys up there

Catherine- have a great trip. I wish I could go on trip right now...

Storm coming in tonight. Denver looks to get the brunt of it. So, our nice weather is going bye bye, darn it. Plan on finishing spare bedroom this weekend, painting for Jims class, and Superbowl of course. Battery getting low, so bettter go.... have great day everyone.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Let's see... I can't remeber which one was the other Don?
Mr Smith - Sorry to hear about your situation. Pretty unusual to get such a far out advance notice on lay offs! Kinda fortunate but sorry to hear. Most companies I am familiar with call you in to let you know today you are out of a job and they usher you out the door! I have a couple friends who have been working different locations around the US for the past three years with occassional visits home. I hope something developes for you nearby and soon!
Don - It is incredible that there is not more interest in alternative energies! I heard that millions of dollars had been invested in the United States to promote alternative energies but much of that money was diverted... probably into some corporate pockets? It is amazing what Germany and some other countries are doing with alternative energies compared to the US. Hope something comes up that will work for you soon.
Lenore - Good to hear from you and sounds as though you are getting around a bit. Hope things go well with the hubby and you both kick up your heels soon.
Donna - Nice car!!!
Catherine, Jenna - Looks as though you gals are enjoying the weather as much as I am? Looks as though it is going to be in the 40's, upper 30's this week! Ever since we had our January thaw early Jan it seems as though it never went away! I think we have had a total of around 5 inches of snow so far this year. Not sure what that will mean come this summer? We haven't had a good soaker since July! Have a nice vacation Catherine!
Jim - Good to hear you are busy. I have been busy but not much painting getting done. Sounds like a busy schedule for you Ron. Gee, I hope you get enough done so you can watch the game on Sunday?

Time to plan out my next painting... probably do another one from the challenge. I have an idea in my head, now I just need to map it out a bit clearer. Howdy to everyone else!

Last edited by mollerman : 02-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Jim,

No that don't make stoves like that one any more. It's been in my family for over 100 years, along with the 160 acre farm. This Sunday we will light the stove and my daughter will be cooking pancakes. It's a buttermilk receipe, yummy! Her Ethiopian name is Tizita, which means "rememberance." We adopted her 3 1/2 years ago. She is a lot of fun to have around the house. She still lights up a room with her smile when she enters. She is an amazing young lady. She was 43" tall and 40 lbs when we got her at age 8. Now she is 54 or 55" tall and about 85 lbs. She speaks English with just a slight trace of an accent.

Have a great day,
Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim56
Donald, I had to post just so I could tell you your daughter did a great job. She has a beautiful name and a personality to match. Will there be another installment. I want to see how the pancakes come out. They don't make stoves like that any more.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Don, I too am sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe you should write a book about alternative energy, and get some speaking engagements for the EPA or other group. At least my farm is paid for and earns enough to pay for the taxes and up keep.

I'll remember you in my prayers,
Donald
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Marcus,

I've been laid off many times when I was an airplane mechanic back in the 80s and 90s. Companies going out of business, or just too slow to keep all the mechanics busy. Not pleasant memories.

I'm reminded of the cotton blight. Farmers were cursing the boil weavel, but then they discovered peanuts, and actually made more money, and built a statue of a weavel. In the end, they were blessed through the curse. Life is that way sometimes. Who knows what better opportuntites will come Don and my way because of our situations.

Have a great day painting,
Donald
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Don, and Donald, so sorry to hear of your situations. Been there far too often myself, designers and marketing people are always the first to go when corporate budgets get slim. Putting you both on my prayer list also, hopefully soon you'll both be able to look back on this and say, "Boll weevil!" There's got to be something out there with your names on it... somebody wants you guys.

I was also thinking "start your own business." Not that that's ever easy, or cheap, but if you can leverage something you already have (like expertise!) and turn it into some cash, everything helps. Don I can't believe either that there is so little demand for green energy experts! I feel you on the 45 days, have been there too. It ain't fun.

Jenn, I'm looking forward to getting to know Bowler Hat Guy a lot better. There any rooms open at the Cozy Red? And that calf is too cute for words.

Donna, that is a cool ride indeed. Makes me kind of sorry I gave up my '68 Mustang from back in the day. Loved that beast but it needed too much work for my barely-out-of-teen-years budget. Glad you can enjoy yours!

I am still trying to figure out how one "enjoys" weather in the upper 30s?? Although I do enjoy our occasional dips into the the 40's because it feels like we have some weather for a change! That said, we haven't had anything you could call winter here either. If the sun wasn't coming in at a lower angle than summer, I wouldn't even know it was February. Looks like we're getting ripped off of all our rain this year, storms keep passing us by.

In other news, I got schooled again about plein-aire painting. Now that the fountains at work are running again, I decided this was my chance to get lots of practice painting water. Yay! Spent my whole lunch yesterday sketching this modern-art-sculpture-fountain-thingy, then started blocking in the darks. Today I rushed down hoping to get a spot on the same bench... yes! My bench is free! I snagged it then and noticed a little something - water's off It looked like they were cleaning the rocks that got stained a nice shade of iron-oxide red from the rusty holding tank. Think the water's back on for good now, though, hope so anyway.

Howdy to everyone else, looks like it's my job to bank the fire and lock up for the night. Kate, I'll make sure there's plenty of coals for breakfast! Goodnight all!