WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark
Re: MARCH MONTHLY CHALLENGE - Everyone Welcome

Catherine - This looks great. Great sense of atmosphere and depth. Lovely choice of colors. This really was a tough challenge, a beautiful photo but difficult to work with and you pulled it off!
Barb - The changes you made were perfect. Looks much improved. The mountains relate a lofty appeal and the clouds look great.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2011, 05:56 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Thank you Catherine and Sandra for the comments on my paintings.

Catherine, I love the way you changed the colors in this painting. I thought of trying it in snow cover also. It looks very peaceful to me. Very good job.

Barb, I like the reworked version of the mountain. I think your efforts paid off.

Hi Sandra. Sorry the month has been hectic. I was wondering where our star artist was hiding out. I always so enjoy your art. Just got to love the Teton painting, nice work on the trees.

You even managed to tame down the orange mountains. This one looks so challenging. I should probably try it just to satisfy my curiosity. Stay happy and keep painting.................Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

I tried to fix some the painting. Did not do much to it though. Is just a piece of outstretched canvas for practice, and not a keeper, so I am not too worry about it.

My website.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Sandra, those are beautiful and so colorful! Great detail for such small works. Lovely!

Maria, those adjustments did help. Something seems slightly wonky about it yet, but then, perspective is not my strong point, so don't mind me. I just love the feathery look of the plant! Good work!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Maria, now the focus shifted to the plants which I didn't even notice earlier as much. Love the energetic strokes and economy of it all for the plant.

Thanks for comments on my pieces, Lenore, Jenna.

Here are two more.

Lamy Al Star Fountain pen extra fine nib and wash
Academie Heavyweight 80 lbs sketchbook 8.5 x 11 inch half page

Finally, I could feel the usefulness of this extra fine nib. To do the eyes and the feathers, there's nothing better than a super fine nib.

Daniel Smith watercolor
Portfolio Watersoluable oil pastel

Today, I realize these oil pastels are very close to what one looks for in an "oil pastel pencil". It comes presharpened and it could do quite a bit of details!

Pentalic Heavyweight 70 lbs sketchbook 5.5 x 8 inch full page (I got this sketchbook on sale at Borders for $4.99. It has lay flat binding and I bought out all the stock they have since - a good 14 books. If you have a Borders near you still, check it out before it's too late. It could take water and all kinds of media unlike Moleskin Volant and other similar 70 lbs. Alcohol markers will bleed through but so far, my penwork doesn't nor most of my watercolor and oil pastel nor color pencil or pencil work.)

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Maria - Helped a little bit.
Sandra - Love the blue Pelicans. Very nice composition. The bluffs are absolutely wonderful! You pulled this one off very well.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Hi Maria. Nice job on the rework. I think your painting has a lot of feeling about it. I am not good with perspective either, so I went looking for a program that will turn your photos into line drawings. I posted a link in the campfire thread, and it's free and very easy to use. You might like it.

Hi Sandra. Your pelicans are just awesome. Gosh I love the way you give everything a try. Your experiments are paying off. Good job on the cliff painting. I really liked that photo, you did great.

I'm still debating on the orange/gold mountains, haha..............Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you Sandra, Lenore, and Jenna! I really appreciate it.

My website.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Catherine1

Maria.. I still love the warm rich colors you have going on here. The perspective is much better too.

Sandra.. Thank you for the kind comment.. I enjoyed your pelicans.. Fun.. You have a good sense of line and get lots of depth with your drawing.
The colors of the buff are wonderful... A stellar representation, I really really like it!
Very painterly on the ash trees and mountains. Loved the way you can still see your strokes..
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

I forgot to comment on some work. Although everyone's here is terrific!

Lenore, as always, I do not know how you do it. Your paintings are always so beautiful! How do you come with it so fast is beyond my comprehend ion.

Sandra your work is always so fresh and spontaneous. I love it. I specially like your birds. they are awesome!

Scattdaddy you drawing is very beautiful vreathtaking...

And Catherine I also would like to know how you can do that with acrylics. That is a gorgeous piece. I find acrylics so hard to work with, and come with the right colors. Anytime I have picked them up it seems to me I am always mixing every color with sienna!

BarbB also a very nice piece. I specially like your choice of colors.

Hope I did not miss anyone.

I might be out for the rest of the month. My husband and I are planning on moving, and have a lot to sort out. I will try to pop in here from time to time!

All the best.

My website.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Sandra, it's great to see more of your work. These are both wonderful, but those blue pelicans...I just love that piece! Pelicans are such interesting birds, I think. A bit homely, and yet, they pull off that look with such class. Great work!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hi folks,

Lots of great pieces here, as usual! I thought I would get to one before this, but am finishing up classes and with other schedule stuff, it hadn't happened yet. I did the Grand Tetons scene yesterday in the studio at school before class - about two hours in it. It is oil on canvas board, 9 x 12 inches. In oils, I'm trying to work looser and get better at alla prima so I can do some oil plein air this spring (if the warm and dry weather ever starts in my area!). Compositional liberties were taken with the reference photo.

C&C always welcome.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Very nice, loose and the composition works well! Looks as though you are on your way to a great plein air outing... weather permitting. Glad to see you found some time to join us John.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Hi John. Glad you had time to paint one for us. I always enjoy your art. Lovely take on this photo. Looks a little like knife work on the trees. Nice one.......Lenore
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Catherine1

John.. Lovely! Its so bright, full of light and lots of depth. I think your ready for the plein air outing. :-D