WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States
Re: MARCH MONTHLY CHALLENGE - Everyone Welcome

Hi everyone and thank you Kindra, Catherine, and Maria for the nice comments.

Catherine, welcome and why did you wait so long? Your art is beautiful. I love knife paintings as they seem to have a bit of an impressionistic feel to them and they really draw my attention. Besides all that there just fun to do. So glad you finally took the plunge and hope to see you here more often.

Hi Barb and welcome to you also. You did a great job on this scene. That bright outcropping of mountain is a hard one to tackle and you did it in fine style. I hope you join in more often.

Hi Maria. I love your still life. I also liked that photo, but all that architecture scares me. Good idea to just pick an element from it. I'm happy to see you painting again. Cheers...............Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Catherine1

Thanks again for the warm reception..

Lenore.. It just seemed that every time I wanted to join in I had other things on the easel.. So I just looked and enjoyed what you all did... Then I got addicted to the WDE.. ;-)

Barb.. I love the depth that you got with this.. The mountains and shadows are excellently portrayed .. The snow and shadow lays down on the mountain just as it should! I know.. I tried this one and I had to walk away from it for a few days because it was pitching me fits. I also agree with your assessment about the blue patch you have. It does compete with the viewers eye for dominance.

Ohhh Maria!.. That is a very nice crop! I love the earthy tones.. And the greens really compliment the shadow tones you used.. Well done.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

this really did start out using the ref pic provided by lisilk but one change led to another.....and so on. It's 8 X 10 on Canson bristol vellum using a BIC 2B mechanical pencil (five pack for 2 bucks...LOL), and a kneaded eraser......LOTS of eraser.

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Great concept Scatdaddy! Looks as though the rider is coming out of the sunrise/sunset. I will sometimes add an extra element as you did to give a painting a little extra bit of interest.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

I didn't exactly plan on having all landscapes for this months challenge and just remembered to add a couple more images I thought interesting. This first image may not necessarily be western but it was such a nice photo I could not resist putting it in the challenge...

Here is another image from the RIL submitted by chia. I guess this one is sorta landscape?
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I always like seeing your drawings, Scatdaddy. They always have such a nice atmosphere and mood. I really like the way you handled the trees. I don't have the patience to try landscapes with graphite. Great work!

Ooh, more variety! Thanks, Marcus! If I wasn't in the middle of a commission, I'd like to take on one of these images.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

BarbB, the clots of fixative on your work could have been caused by a) a clogged spray nozzle, b) the fixative, drawing surface or both being too cold when sprayed or c) (and most likely) letting the tip of your finger extend too far over the spray tip allowing the spray to build on your finger and drip onto the surface. This happened to me and being as the work was ruined, I decided to just keep laying on the fixative, allowing about a 15 minute cure time between coats. The solvent in the fixative eventually dissolved the clots and they flattened out. To prevent this, I now attach my drawing in an upright position (I use a cardboard box for a support) and spray into the work rather than lay it flat and spray down onto it. That way, if I do get some drips they don't fall down on the surface. I cringe to think of all the fine works that have been ruined because of the pathetically bad spray can technology that is being sold.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Skatdaddy, that is a terrific drawing. The horse and rider just add to the beautiful scene. Hope you do some more for us. I enjoy your art.

Love the new photos Marcus, especially the one with the old tub on the fence post.

I have been busy painting to keep my mind occupied and decided to do a little one of the Tetons. I think one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the U.S. Changed the scene up a bit. It is Gouache on a 4x6 w/c block. Thanks for looking............Lenore. All C/C is fine.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Your landscapes are always some serene and beautiful, Lenore. Great job with the sky, especially.

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Very nice Lenore. I like the composition and how the painting is framed in by the darker sky at top and the pines below. You have been a busy Mrs. BB!!!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States

This actually started out for last months challenge (the big oak tree one) then since I didn't finish it in time, I decided to morph into the flower field one for this month. I think it came out ok.. It's Watercolor and Pastel on Coldpress WC paper. 11 x 14 inches.

Last edited by zunisong : 03-08-2011 at 01:43 AM.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Nice work Kindra. I also like mixing watercolor with pastel although I don't do that as often as I probably should.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Nice bright painting Kendra. To me it has the feel of the setting sun behind the hills.................Lenore
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Really nice landscape, Kindra. I love those vibrant colors. Great work!

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Just finished this up as a quick pastel demonstration for a student. I didn't have an image planned so I grabbed one out of this challenge. I will probably go back and make a few touches. 8 1/2" X 11".