Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Sycamore Gap and a Riverbank in Norway

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bizzibee

Sycamore Gap is an iconic view here. The tree is one of the most photographed in the country and stands in a deep gap along Hadrian’s Wall, which was formed by melting glacial waters. It won the Tree of the Year award 2016 and featured in the film, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, indeed it is sometimes called the Robin Hood Tree. 20 x 20 Oil on Canvas.

The second is from a photo fast-flowing river in Norway. Everything was green, even the water, and the riverbank was merely bushes. I tried to paint it once before and it was rubbish, so I have changed the trees on the riverbank and put some sky in and tried to de-green the water. Not sure if it has been successful and not sure why I persisted with it TBH. Oil on Canvas 12 x 16.

As ever c and most welcome and appreciated, but it’s my birthday today, so don’t be too cruel!:lol:

NB Good to hear from Yorky: ‘F+W are working on updating the wetcanvas software’.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

oldnmartist

That tree is amazing, and you really got a sense of flow in the second one.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

Aussiesrus

The 1st certainly captures all the elements typical of an English countryside – The old Sycamore Tree, ancient Roman walls, overcast sky & tiny daisies scattered across fg grasses. A lovely landscape indeed which has a interesting historical factor also.

I love that fast flowing water in No.2 & that penetrating light which illuminates tree trunks, water ripples & overhanging fg branches. Lovely harmony throughout – Have Great Birthday Biz !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

CaliAnn

Happy Birthday Bizzibee my friend!

Both paintings are awesome – there is so much texture, movement and feeling to these paintings. I find the first one to be a very powerful painting – that tree looks so solid and present. P.S. I’m looking for a frog on the second one, but can’t find it! :)

Dorrart

Love the sky in that first one. Awesome job on that. The point of view is very dramatic. Great movement in the water. I like the colors in both. You did a good job distinguishing the greens in the water scene, all of the items are discernible to me anyway. Happy birthday, hope you have a great day!

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Reddyman

Happy Birthday BizziB
                            Excellent work on both paintings …both well painted and have a superb atmospheric presence. The first painting is just such a wonderful, powerful piece…love it.

John

Ohiohawk97

Happy Birthday as well Bizz!
                                Sycamore Gap is breathtaking! What a great cloudy sky and the tree stands out beautifully with the eye drawn right to it.
                                The river painting is fun to look at as well. Great branches and water in that one….

Wes

Happy Birthday. I like both but especially the second. I like the blue-green in the water and the underside of the pine needles contrasted to the orange-browns in the tree limbs. For me the color scheme generates a bit of electricity. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

landsmith

Happy birthday Bizzibee. I looked it up and interesting about that tree. I never knew about that. I liked the second painting the best–it looks so natural.
                                    Rob

Arnie

1st lovely dark foreboding sky and touches’ of warmth.
                                        2nd: again loads of movement, and good brushwork. Good colour choices to eliminate the green, and particularly like the fg branches – well painted.
                                        Happy birthday. Get any presents for the art?
                                        Arnie

Donna T

Happy birthday a day late – ‘hope it was a good one! The sky in the first one is really mesmerizing and the water appears to be rushing past in the second. Two terrific paintings!

Donna
                                            C&C Always Welcome

Bizzibee

Thank you all very much for your birthday wishes: they really helped to make my day!

Thank you very much oldnmartist. I am pleased you like the tree! That river was fast and very cool, I can assure you!

Indeed, Michael those heavy skies are so often a feature around here! Thank you very much for your kind comments. Much appreciated!

CaliAnn, thank you so much for your inspiring comments. Well, the frog jumped into the river and got swept away and, magically, turned up on a leaf somewhere!:lol:

John you are so kind to say that: I am very grateful. Thank you!

Wes, you too, thank you for your lovely comment. I am pleased you like the first so much. It is always a bit of worry when you paint something which is viewed and photographed so much: it seems to up the ante a bit!

Gary and Rob, thank you also. I was very tempted to give up on the second one, so I am especially pleased you like it. The first is an odd view, especially when seen in the distance, from the road.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Pinguino

Well now, your birthday was a few days ago, so here’s my C&C:

There seems to be a disconnect between and and sky. That is, it looks like two different canvases were cut-and-pasted together. I don’t think this was what you wanted to achieve.

With that sky (very nice), the land should be dappled with brighter and darker areas. I didn’t put a lot of digital work into this, but I visualized that most of the land would be duller, with the tree and its immediate surroundings in a sunlit area. Something like this:

Might also be better if you got rid of that green strip just above the wall at left. Probably you could cover it with more wall. I am sure that Hadrian would approve.

Skyenorth

Belated Birthday wishes to you Bizzi! I hope you had a lovely day! The sky in your first painting is really very beautiful. I like how you have painted the fir tree in the second painting, it looks so real and convincing, I could just reach out and touch it! Well done, I do enjoy seeing your paintings and you work so well. :wave:

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                                        http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                                        Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                                        Winston Churchill.

aspenman

Belated B’day wishes – awesome sky in 1st as well as portraying great distance.
                                                            Love the branching of the tree in #2. Very nice work!

J.RichardSecor - Art is not a matter of fact - it is a matter of opinion C&C's welcomed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5w1OMK2OL8mdUZUXZbMj3Q
                                                            http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.