WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire - June

Catherine,

linda, no email dump here...maybe they thought you needed some light reading

Y'all would not believe the week we've had here. We had an OLD mimosa tree out front, it was all rotted in the middle and just the outside edge was alive. Well...it died during the summer last year and we never got around to cutting it down. A big storm blew through and knocked it over onto the neighbors car. (If I've already told this story forgive me. I'm beyond tired and can't remember) We're waiting for the insurance agent to come talk to us about it. YESTERDAY I get home and the cable is off. Hubby goes out to see what's up and there is a huge tree limb laying on the power line and it ripped the cable tv cable out of the side of the house! We still had power but it pulled the mast out a little and messed up our roof! They came and cut the limbs off that were on the wire but there's still a couple of foot in diameter limbs dangling precariously up there that we're gonna have to figure out how to get down. I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company drops us after this
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone. I hope you're doing well.

Hi Linda. Whew, that's hot! We've hardly seen 70 degrees yet this year; that must sound really different for you! I hope your dentist appointment went well.

Hi Donna. You have had a rough week. Hope things work out okay.

Hi to everyone else. I hope you're doing ok, Deb. Not too much going on here...Kind of a lazy day. Catch you all later!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:29 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

It sounds like you have bad tree karma at the moment Donna. I sincerely hope those limbs are the last of it.

Like Linda said, it is really hot here! I walk out of a building and with the breeze blowing it's like being in the path of a giant blow dryer. Not fun.

I use a Kool Tie, have you heard of it? Put it in water and it swells up like a sausage. It does keep my neck cooler and that keeps my head cooler.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

I think so Lola!

I've got a couple of those Kool Ties. I was using them at work but if there's no air blowing over them you just have a warm wet blob on your neck. This year I'm near a fan so I'm gonna try them again and see how they work
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:23 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Hi to everyone. My computer was on the fritz, and I had to take it to get fixed. Kids have one more day school on Monday, they are still making up snow days. My boy went to school again on Saturday, which would be the third time they had Saturday school to make up for snow days. They just had fun and had a cookout. 4-H county shooting competition was this weekend. Ashley feels good about her air rifle, and Garrett did well shooting archery. Waiting for final results to show up in my email.

All you down in the southwest, stay cool!

Have great rest of weekend, everyone.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Donna, Hope your trees stay where they belong for a while!

Lola, and Linda, my folks are in southern NV and it's already hitting 116* there and won't go back down till December. What is up with the heat arriving this early?

You can make your own Kool Ties pretty easily. The magical stuff inside is soil polymer. Sew up a tie in the fabric of your choice, pour in a tablespoon or two of soil polymer granules, close up the end and soak.

You can also soak the granules in colored water for decorative "ice" that doesn't melt. It'll eventually dry out and become granules again, but you can re-hydrate it repeatedly. Learned about that when I helped clean up the decorations from a party some years ago. I had noticed the pretty colored crystally-stuff in glasses on the tables, but boy was I surprised to pour some into a bucket and find it was damp and squishy!

Ron, hope Ashley and Garrett did well, I won't be a bit surprised when you find out they did. School on Saturday just sounds so... wrong, but at least he had fun

Deb, thinking about you

Jenna: Hi!

And Howdy to everyone else too!

Last edited by Cyntada : 06-09-2013 at 05:14 PM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hey everybody!
Donna... Sheesh... What a deal about that tree... Omg! Hope that works out..
Linda, i have never heard of a mortgage company being so disorganized.
Jenna, are you doing both your sculptures and drawings for the show?
Lola, sometimes runners in our races use those cool ties.
Ron, I have a feeling those results are going to be good.
Cyn... It never ceases to amaze me what kind of stuff i learn here!

Sigh... Things continue to burn here... 32 square miles now. All around us. Things were starting to settle down, a d then they decided to do a back burn, which got away, a d started a whole other burn, which is now about a mile an a half from us. They have closed our highway- roadblocks, and identity checks, only residents in or out. . It is the on,y road through the mountains. ONLY road. Steve is able to get to work, but the folks who need to go the other direction, will now have a 140 mile drive to work because they have to drive all the way around the mountains. Sadly, in order to get a handle on the new expansion fire they have to do more back burning in some of the prettiest trail around here. The next few days will have gusty winds. They have been "testing" the reverse 911 emergency notification system. We got a call at midnight last night. Freaky.
On another note. A friend evacuated some of my paintings for me, and had them in her spare bedroom. One of her friends saw them, and bought two of them!
Weird way to make a sale.
my blog
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

News clip. The meeting location in the video is at our volunteer fire sation, about a five minute walk from my house. So the view In The video is basically the view from my back deck. And the fire is closer now.
http://m.koat.com/news/Thompson-Ridg...z/-/index.htmli
my blog
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

So scary, Deb! I'm glad you moved some of your paintings--in both meanings! Congrats on the oddly-made sale!

Ron--Poor kids!!! I can't imagine it--still in school in June??!! My summer classes are nearly half over!

Donna--Sorry to hear about those darned trees. Clean-up continues here from our ice storm in April. At least the power lines didn't start a fire. . . .

Linda--No email dump here. I don't subscribe to any threads or updates, having done so years ago for new horse photos in the RIL and not ever being able to turn that off (though I haven't checked for awhile--might be doable now).

To all in the SW--I can't believe how hot it is! We might break 80 today, well below average. We had about 2 inches of rain over the weekend. Yay!!!!! I'll take it. I've had lots of interesting birds around: cardinals, orioles, woodpeckers, and now a blue bird that I think is a grosbeak of some kind.

Have a great week, everyone!

Just for Jenna (and Jim of course), here is my assistant hard at work:

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone!

I had a houseful of company over the weekend and hardly had a chance to come hang out here. My brother and his wife came, along with their three boys, Seth, Riley and Bennett. Seth and Riley are both rather promising aspiring artists. They are both absolutely captivated by the Super Mario Brothers (I think they get it from their Auntie Jenna ), so they've been drawing their adventures with Mario.

Hi Lola. A Kool Tie? Around Wisconsin this year, all we need are coats and umbrellas. It sounds like a useful thing for a hot day though.

Hi Donna. How are the trees treating you? You're going to be sick when I tell you this; someone my mom works with had her Harley stolen day before yesterday. It was parked in her sister's driveway without the key and just vanished. I can't imagine how furious she must be! Very hard to swallow indeed!

Hi Ron. Ugh, computer troubles...very frustrating! I'm glad it's been fixed. Ooh, the last day of school at last for your kids. Party tonight, I'll bet!

Hi CK. What's new with you?

Hi Deb. Sadly, it's been a very rough start of spring and summer for you. I hope somehow they manage to contain it soon. Hang in there. Congratulations on the sales! It is a strange way to make them, but a sale is a sale. Yes, I'll plan to make a lot of prints of my drawings to sell, as well as some originals perhaps, and sculptures. I'll also plan to make some cards to sell and may do some photography too. I'll put copies of my book out for sale too. I want to offer as much as I can manage.

Hi Lisa. What a sweet little lady! (I assume she's a lady since she's a calico?) She looks very focused and helpful.

My cats, on the other hand, are lazy!

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Donna, when the kool tie feels warm, I rotate it so the outside cool part is touching my skin. Kinda like flipping my pillow to the cool side.

Cyntada, I had no idea the “magic ingredient” of the ties is soil polymer! Thanks for that, and the tip for using it as “ice”. Neat idea.

Deb, so sorry the fires are still burning, how horrible. I’m glad some of your paintings are in a safe place; and yeah, weird way to make a sale.

Lisa M, your office assistant looks very cute. I have one that likes to chew on paperwork – not so cute.

Jenna, what a hilarious photo of your cat!

It's time for me to get ready to go to my day job.

Here's wishing a calm uneventful day for everyone.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

We hiked up Mt. wheeler this weekend, highest point in NM. There was still thigh deep snow i some places, somit was an adventure. We saw this cowboy leading a group of riders ip on the ridge. What a great way to spend a day, huh?
my blog
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Deb, please stay safe. Nothing is worth losing a life or being injured. I'm so glad we were in NM during our fire. We are well and have accumulated new "stuff". We are in Albuquerque and it is sooooo dry. Our hometown of Magdalena, 900 residents, had the last water well they have cave in so the city is delivering bottled water for drinking and they are hauling water from White Sands and Socorro which is picked up at City Hall for flushing toilets, etc. Socorro is 27 miles away so guess some will have to go do motels for showers and such. Poor folks that can't travel at all. They expect 3 weeks to new well water.

Jenna, love the cat photos, make me smile and you know I don't do cats. Heh, heh. We will be in Kentucky for the wedding on August 10 so maybe I can remember your date. Best of luck and have fun.

We are in ABQ as I said. Regina, pastel buddy, came from NC and we attended the International Association of Pastel Societies Convention. Such fun and met so many of the pastel artists we "know" from wetcanvas and blogging. I bought this easel www.enpleinairpro.com. It is $206.50 for the pastel system until July 4 with the discount code, IAPS2013, if anyone is interested. I've only used it in the house so far, but seems super and I can go to paint or class with one trip. Yay!

We went up on Sandia Crest and had dinner and enjoyed the views. You can see it is very hazy from the forest fires. So sad.

Take care all, see you soon.
Winston Churchill

Last edited by Jo Castillo : 06-11-2013 at 07:10 PM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

still waiting for the insurance adjuster to come look at the tree (and tell us they won't cover the neighbor's car). I've been working 9's for the last two weeks and I'm so tired I can barely stand it. Haven't done a dang thing in my studio although I went to HL tonight and bought some airbrush paint to see if it would work as a substitute for One Shot. No, it won't. :/

Jenna, that sux about the stolen HD Hope y'all are all doin okay and hopefully things will settle down for everybody soon
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone.

Hi Lola. Thanks. It was a lucky capture and it makes me smile too.

Hi Deb. What a great photo! I am glad to see there is some beautiful landscape to still enjoy. I hope the fires are better controlled now.

Hi Jo. Thanks so much! I'm glad my kitty got a smile out of even a non-cat person like you. What stunning views, but the haze from the fire is very sad...

Hi Donna. Good luck with the insurance adjuster. Yeah, I can't imagine how devastating she must be about her bike.