WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire - April

Jenna, that piece is looking so great! I need to get un-lazy and start playing with the one I bought

Deb, he's soooooo non confrontational that he just takes it. I'd have torn that place apart by now
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Hiya everybody--greetings from winter's grasp. . . .

I guess I always tend to go awol for a few weeks during late winter; I think the SAD (seasonal affective disorder) gets the best of me, or maybe it's just work.

I have read and tried to catch up on everything, though I will have to dig for the details of your property line dispute, Deb. Sounds like you are busy as usual, and I commend your ongoing ability to stay fit! I thought I would have the treadmill put away by now. . . running outdoors, but no!

Catherine--You great vacationer you! I want to be you someday--going where you please and always making something of it, pythons and all! Creepy. . . .

Jenna--I love the little dog, and that tree is coming along better than I can even believe; I don't think I've seen such soft and accurate detail in scratchboard before. What a stunner it is going to be!

Scatdaddy--Your photos got to me, too. How wonderful that you have such rich history all around you, and a day in the roundpen with some colts sounds quite refreshing. I hope your little filly is coming along well!

I read something about calves in the house. We brought 'em in, too, and would be doing so this week if Dad still had livestock on the farm. I fear the babies around the region are not faring well this spring.

Sharon--Congrats on finishing up a huge job!

DJ--Great portraits as always! My faves are still the ones with horses, though.

The following link pretty much sums up what's been happening around here lately! We have about 8 inches of new snow on the ground, atop an inch-plus of ice destroying everything and 3-4 inches of icy snow for a middle layer. Power is out for thousands. Somehow that missed us, though everyone around us was dark for 2+ days and many still are. You can click through the photos pretty quickly--worth a look.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...013/?id=146441

Our trees have sustained only minor damage so far.

Hello to all I missed; I remember lots of funny stuff, but the accidental propogation of potatoes on the kitchen counter has got to be the best in awhile--I truly laughed at that one.

Thanks for all of the hellos over the past few weeks; I saw them!

Be back in a bit,

Lis
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Evening everyone!

Hi Deb. I'm glad you got the snow to douse the fire and get a little more moisture on the ground. Hope you get more snow/rain for the land to drink. Thanks so much for the sweet comments! There are several ways to add color to scratchboard, but I plan to use Ampersand brand inks. They come in a bottle and are about as liquid as water...you can mix them to get the color you want and can also dilute them with water if needed. They are translucent and the scratched off parts of the board will show through. You can add as little or as much color as you want. Even better, you can then scratch off the colored parts as needed to create more depth through layers. That will be fun to do.

Hi Rick. Thanks so much for the very sweet words! Much appreciated! Twin grandsons, what fun that must be! Hope you had a great time at the zoo! I will never outgrow zoos. They are such interesting places to visit.

Hi Donna. Thanks so much! Yes, take it out and start carving off ink! I have a feeling you'll love it!

Well hello Lisa! I've been missing you around here lately! Yes, I tend to fall into a bit of a rut at certain times of the year too. It's a very real issue and it's hard to get the pep back in the step. Yikes, you have had enough snow for a good long time. It looks and sounds pretty miserable. Hope it thaws away so you can find spring underneath it all! Thanks so much for the wonderfully kind comments! You should check out the amazing things the people in the Scratchboard forum turn out! They are such an inspiration. Thanks; I'm so glad you like the poodle and the scratchboard.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Wow lisa, that is some storm damage. A few years ago, we had a really bad ice storm that took out power in about half the state. Living through that changed the way i live- widespread power outtages mean: no banks canoperate, ATMs dont work, gas pumps dont work so no gas, stores cant open, no communication... And lots of other things. So, we always will have a wood stove, cash on hand, and food and water stored. Hope you guys can make it.
Jenna, im learning about scratchboard.... Is really a very amazing medium.
Our foot of snow is melting fast. I have some stuff in the garden which seems to b okay, even after temps in the teens. The chickens refuse to step outside however.
We leave tomorrow for grand canyon. Plan to do a double crossing. This is a video a friend did of the route we will take. Im not toally sure I am up to it- still not quite over whatever respiratory gunk i had... Will be an adventure no matter what.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olFUHI1T11o

Will try to get some video ourselves, though not for the first couple of hours because we start at 4am. Now, i just hope the dogs behave in our absence. They have never been alone this long, and ine of them gets into mischief when he gets bored.
Hope everyone has a great weekend,
my blog
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Your wired Poodle, Jenna, is very cute - and the scratchboard is coming along rightly good...

as for me, making progress, too - getting some of the window reflections done, and more of the building sections colored -

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Lisa, glad to see you back. I have the same kind of issues in the winter at times, especially here in KY when winter seems to be weeks of grim, gray overcast with no sun and off and on rain.

Jenna, your tree is really coming along. You have to be putting in lots and lots of hours on that.

Deb, glad you got snow that took care of the fire.

I'm still putting things together for a trip to town to get some 'professional' scanning done ... and of course still second-guessing to see if they are actually finished or not. Between my art-related OCD and vision issues there comes a time when I just have to close my eyes and think 'enough, already!'
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! We've got a white world again as some snow has come our way. The poor animals, especially the cattle; there is no way to keep them dry when it's like this. The sweet animals have such patience for weather...the people around here...not so much!

Hi Deb. Have a wonderful and fun time in the Grand Canyon. What an amazing tradition, and I hope you feel well enough to enjoy each minute. I look forward to seeing pictures/videos. I hope your dogs behave too; we've always had a pretty independent, lazy beagle, so we haven't had issues with him acting up much (except chasing cats). Have a wonderful run! I'm glad I could help answer your questions about the scratchboard.

Hi Robert. Thanks so much for the nice comments! Your WIP is beautiful. The detail is incredible!

Hi Sharon. Thanks so much! Yes, there must be 25-30 hours or somewhere in there in this by now. Hope the professional scanning goes well. There's always something kind of nerve-wracking about handing your original artwork to someone else so they can scan them. You always hope they'll pamper the drawing/painting as carefully as you, the artist, do.

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Deb, I wonder if you'll come home to this:

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M
the accidental propogation of potatoes on the kitchen counter has got to be the best in awhile--I truly laughed at that one.

You should see the one I have going now. I have GOT to stop buying potatoes!!!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Donna, I was thinking the same thing about Deb's mischievous dog, but didn't dare mention it!

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

hahaha Donna that dog looks just like my sister's Australian cattledog, a notorious counter climber. Here's another that made me laugh.

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzigoot
hahaha Donna that dog looks just like my sister's Australian cattledog, a notorious counter climber. Here's another that made me laugh.

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Jenna and Robert always nice to see such progress on your work and I know you're both putting in hours and hours.

Deb
, I hope your weekend trip goes well and you come back with lots of photos. The Grand Canyon is a place I always wanted to get to see and even though I lived in southern NV for a number of years, always seemed like we were too busy. Now, of course, driving isn't an option for me so like a couple of other places, it's going to be one of those things I will have to enjoy through someone else's eyes.

I've stayed busy with both the current projects ... getting the originals ready to go to be scanned next week ... two so far ... and working on the long-ignored draft horse head.

I'm also getting really *scattered* ... I think I must have a touch of manic/depressive syndrome. Everything is going well but I get to the point where a piece is going very well and I know how I'm going to finish it, then I wake up the next morning with this brilliant idea for another piece and want to start that NOW!

I'm beginning to understand why I have half a dozen WIPs stashed in my files and at least that many file folders with photos, sketches and notes for still more. I don't think I used to be quite this bad but does anyone else have this issue and what do you do about it (except drink more coffee and stay up later at night to work!)
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpony
...then I wake up the next morning with this brilliant idea for another piece and want to start that NOW!

YUP!! I have a touch ADHD and I do that ALL the time! I sometimes find it hard to finish a sentence because something "shiny" will catch my eye and I'll forget what I'm saying. My hubby finds it slightly hilarious

Linda, I've seen that before...funny!! I wonder if I could get my cat to sit still long enough.....
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hey everyone. Hope you're having a good weekend. I'm having one of those days...it's Saturday, but I keep thinking it's Sunday.

Hi Sharon. Thanks so much! I feel your pain when it comes to always wanting to start something new. Rarely do I begin more than one project per medium. But I often will have a drawing, a sculpture, always some creative writing, sometimes a painting, sometimes a scratchboard all going at once. Always keeps an artist busy at least! I just go with my gut; I enjoy having a few different WIPs going so I can do whichever one speaks to me on any given day. Some, yes, will never be finished, but it's all part of the artist's journey.

Hi Donna. How's Floyd doing? He must be a great big fella by now!

Hi to everyone else. We have more snow, and it's hard to get past the mid-40s for temperature. The average now should be around 56 degrees. We've not seen that once, and only one day hit 50 at all. Brr! We have songbirds cheerfully trying to ring in spring though. It's got to come sometime!