WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire - April

Hey, I found some coffee!!

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone. Hope you're enjoying your Sunday and are relaxing and/or drawing or painting something.

Hi Jo. Real coffee coming up! I absolutely love the picture! If I saw it, I'd probably buy it and hang it up. So funny! Thanks. I think I'll be trying the same camera, but going with a bundle from Sam's Club. Hope it pans out! How cool is that with the celery? I never knew that, but that's very handy! Our local box elder trees do that...cut them down to the stump, and they'll sprout five little trees where the big one was removed. They're kind of a pest tree here. Sorry, I haven't got any advice for the sweet potatoes; I've never tried growing them. Good luck!

Hi Robert. This is stunning!

Hi Sharon. It sounds like you're all set for the next project now that your art space is all in order.

Hi Donna. Have fun with those great skulls! Such fun! I love this owl!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Donna, love the caffeinated owl!!
Sharon... I probably would get a kick out of a calf in the kitchen. Bet that required alot of newspaper on the floor!
Robert... Thats coming along real nice.
Jenna, if you google "decaf zombies poster" you can find them online to buy. We saw this one at a fun coffeeshop and i had to have it.

We logged 43 miles for the weekend. My legs are kinda tired now. Next weekend is a double crossing of the Big Ditch- you know, that one in AZ.
I was gonna plant strawberries and raspberries, but its supposed to snow again this week, so i will wait until this cold snap passes.
my blog
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

"They forgot how to drive." Is THAT what's wrong w all the drivers around here??
More caffination is what we need!
Deb - re the potatoes: as I recall from one of the master gardeners who does a lot of vegetables, you can grow potatoes by just cutting them up and tossing them in the ground, but probably shouldn't as they can introduce some diseases you wouldn't want to have. Not sure about sweet potatoes - and I never asked about using organic potatoes. They recommend using seed potatoes to avoid the problem.
Meanwhile, the honey-do project was the pool. It's been covered and pretty much ignored all winter - time to peel off the cover, gather the accumulated leaves and other detritus and then clean out the filter etc. Oh, and scrub the waterline. Such fun. But it turned out the water was so warm I got in the water to do the scrubbing! A new early spring record! Cleaned the deck today and the back yard is now ready for some serious hanging out.
Sorry to all of you still dealing w winter..... we'll pay for this in July, if that makes you feel any better.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Just a quick to everyone this morning. The trip went well yesterday, found the storage bins I wanted so today is going to be the start of the major reorganization from cardboard boxes stacked on top of the dog crate to actual clear plastic storage bins for art supplies. Coffee-d up and ready to go.

My coffee is a 'sort of' cappuchino made in the microwave ... a holdover from my days in Spain when 'cafe con leche' was the start of every day. When I returned to the U.S. they didn't have cappuchino available in the wild, wild west of rural MT so I figured out a substitute which I'm still using 40 years later ... half milk, half water, cocoa mix, instant coffee, sugar ...

What can I say ... I get my chocolate fix and coffee fix all at the same time, what could be more efficient?
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Sharon, good luck with your plastic box adventure. Well worth the effort. Last longer than cardboard and easier to stack and move around. I'm not highly organized normally, but I've got them stacked everywhere. Love having everything (more or less) in one spot. So frustrating to KNOW you have something and not know where to find it. Think you'll like it.

Need my coffee but allergic to chocolate. Your cappuchino is very creative! I'll have mine black please...
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everybody! Hope your week is off to a good start!

Hi Deb. Thanks for the tip! Good to know. 43 miles, and your legs are kind of tired? You're an inspiration! Your running feats always amaze me!

Hi Linda. Swimming pool? Oohh, must be so nice! I've wanted a pool all my life. Must be so very nice to have one. I'll bet you love it!

Hi Sharon. Way to go getting some fun new plastic boxes for art supply; they help so much in organization! Sounds like your studio space will be fab!

Hi Rick. I hear you! I hate being unable to find things that are usually right under my nose!

This is a wire sculpture I made the other day. It's always fun to make these. This one is a poodle, and measures 6 inches long by 4 inches tall by 3 inches wide. Hope you all like it.

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Well you know what they say: no good deed goes unpunished.. Last night a big storm front came through and with it huge winds. So now all the lovely flower petals from my climbing rose are adrift in the pool. And of course the wind kicked up huge amounts of desert dirt and then it rained, just enough to pick up the dirt on the way down and deposit it on everything - especially the 2nd story windows I can't get to.
Pardon my kvetching.
I am definitely in favor of coffee and chocolate, at any time of the day! Perhaps if I tried it I would be inspired to do a bit of organizing too. Right now there is a small mountain of gear for the upcoming painting trip lurking in the corner of my room, threatening to take over the entire space. Still trying to figure out what to do w the paintings that don't rate a frame and a place on the wall, speaking of mounting piles. Maybe we should start a thread w pieces we're willing to swap. Or give away for the price of shipping.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

With the plastic bins/containers the reorganization was much faster than I expected. Everything now in clear plastic I can see into and all the cardboard boxes out on the porch to go to the burn pile. The plastic bins are still stacked on top of the large dog crate which lives in the studio/office but at least I know which box to pull out to get what I need and they are stacked in the order of most-used on top!

Rick, I'm not very organized myself but I do try to make an effort occasionally although it usually happens when things get to deep to wade through easily.

Jenna, cute poodle! I love those whimsical little wire sculptures you do.

Linda, I can sympathize with the wind/sand in Nevada. I do still remember those storms when I lived in Las Vegas. It definitely took me some time to get used to them. Only got caught twice out in a car in one but for me, more scary than the MT blizzards I grew up with.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Linda. Ugh, that's got to be maddening! Sorry to hear all that work will have to be done again! Sometimes I think there's something that rings true about Murphy's Law.

Hi Sharon. Hooray for the bins! Doesn't it feel great to have things all in order? Now you can tackle the next drawing. Thanks very much! I'm happy you like the sculpture!

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Evenin', all!

Just stopping by the campfire on my way to hittin' the hay! Long day, here.
Jenna, that poodle is great. Its sort of amazing how much character you are able to achieve with just twisted wire. I think the genius of these sculptures is that the viewer fills in alot from his/her own mind. H's a keeper! Or a seller, whatever!
Linda, just the thought of getting in a pool right now makes me cold! We are due rain and snow again in the next few days. Sorry about that sandstorm- they are nasty. Steve tells me about them down in albuquerque where he works. He got dut in his eye last week, and it is still looking bad.
Sharon- yay! Bins! I love organizing stuff, and hate it when i dont have a place to put stuff! Right now, all my books are sitting in boxes, we havent been able to buy bookshelves, and it is driving me nuts.
Rick... We need to see more paintings!

We have a small fire going very, very close to my house. The forest service and the santa fe hotshots have been on it for a couple of days. They were cutting snags and digging containment lines today, and called it "good" though i could still see visible flames after they left. But, evidently, we mere civilians worry Too much. They are returning tomorrow to mop up. The real issue has been the winds. This fire was actually part of a prescribed burn from over a month ago, and the winds re-ignited it. It is less than a mile from my house. Guess i better pack the computer hard drive and some clean underwear just in case!
my blog
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

First day back to work for Lynn and they put him back on the same machine that tried to kill him! I'm so irritated I want to scream!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! I'm just about colorblind after working on the scratchboard for a long, long time today. Ideally, the nursing home wants it done and framed and delivered in just over a month. No pressure there.

We're in the middle of a big storm system and may get up to six inches of snow again. We've already gotten a lot of rain and flooding is a risk in many areas. If only all this rain would go to where it's needed most! Everyone around here is about ready to scream as we wait for spring to finally arrive.

Hi Deb. Thanks so much for the very kind words about my little sculpture. Much appreciated! I love the simplicity and whimsy of making these sculptures as a refreshing change from detailed drawing. Stay safe from that ominous little flame. I hope it dies out so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Hi Donna. I'm glad Lynn is able to work again, but I wish it could have been something safer. I'm still praying for you both. Hope a better option comes along so he doesn't have to fear another accident.

Here is the way my scratchboard commission is looking. Pretty soon I'll be adding the color, which should be great fun!

Keep on painting, drawing, and being creative!

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Jenna, that tree is freakin' awesome! Wow! How do you add color?? ( i am so not knowledgeable about scratchboard)
Donna.... I cant believe that! Is there no recourse? Can he not talk to a supervisor! That, in my opinion, is shameful. I'd be screaming too. Just wrong.

Well, fire danger from that one blaze is pretty nill because we got nearly a foot of heavy wet snow today... And its still coming down! We need the moisture so badly. The forest service is making dire predictions about the general stae of the forests. Like not "if" but "when" another huge fire happens, and that we better be ready to evacuate on very short notice- u nder an hour- so i suppose i better really pack up the go bag and have it by the door. The massive firss we have had are not the usual restorative fires, but ecosystem-changing, destructive, life altering fires. Its all pretty scary, and when the fire guys are nervous, its time to get ready.
my blog
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Deb, fire...not good. Those fire guys know what they're talking about. We'll pray you keep getting moisture to keep the fire danger down.

Donna, sorry to hear that your husband is back on the same machine. Not good management. Hope he can find something else.

Jenna, you are so talented. Scratchboard and wire...you're the master of both. Can't wait to see the color.

Crazy busy week, but taking the 5 year old twin grandsons to the zoo tomorrow morning. In a class most of next week (yuck). But then going on another painting trip on starting April 22. Just gotta do it!
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.