WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire - April

Donna, great art finds in Grand Prairie!

Deb, you are so ambitious. I have really "retired" lately. Just computer and TV. Have an art friend visiting next week so she will force me to get out and do something! It is like a marathon of painting when she is here, daylight to dark.

Jenna, bummer for sure on the camera. We have bought so much on line and it works so well, then there is the one item and we say, "Never Again". Then order in an hour or so. Ha. A new mattress should give you some rest!

Sharon, what a perfect barn for your tractor. I see some great work in the future.

Catherine1, the coffee is so mmmmmmm. Thanks. Made me laugh, I thought, "A python in Ohio!" Then I woke up. Not fun to find one so nearby. You are getting our rain, now.

Hi to all the others! Hope everything is going along swell!
Winston Churchill
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Jenna, yeah that looks alot like what I saw. I didn't notice a placard or anything but we were feeling a bit out of place. The museum was closed but they were having some kind of fancy thing going on...most of the cars in the parking lot cost more than our house! , so we didn't dally around too much...didn't want security to come run us off

Deb, it's the intersection where Beltline crosses I30. Next time you're in FW we need to get together and go to the Amon Carter or Sid Richardon and check out the Remmingtons

Thanks for the well wishes for Lynn. He's had NO pain through all this, which is a miracle if you could see how big that scar is, and will be going back to work Monday. He's still pretty scared to work on that machine, which won't be for another month or so, so we're praying the Lord opens a different door for him to do something else....or he can get out of this crappy company and find a different job somewhere
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone!

Well, after a frustrating experience with the company I bought this camera from, I've decided to cancel the order, so I am still without a camera. It's funny...sometimes I wonder if I'm supposed to buy one at all!

Hi Sharon. While I am not the most tidy of people, half the fun of finishing a big project is getting every last pencil, eraser, and pen back in its perfect place so my workspace is clean and inviting for the next project. Speaking of which, I should get busy with my next drawing project one of these days! Great photos of the old barn! It will be a wonderful background for your old tractor. Be sure and make a thread of it here for us to enjoy.

Hi Catherine. It was too bad, but there are worse things, so I shouldn't grumble too much. If you read above, you'll know that I cancelled the order altogether after a difficult return/exchange process in which I would have a longer delay and also having to pay for return shipping (I was able to negotiate my way out of that fee however, which is good). The right camera will come along sometime I hope! Two bad experiences in a row...kind of puts a damper on it. Glad you're getting some needed rain!

Hi Jo. I am a big fan of internet shopping both for the convenience and for the good prices that can be found. But yes, sometimes you get a bad experience, and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Ah well, stuff happens.

Hi Donna. Wow, it sounds like quite an affair at that museum. Too bad you couldn't explore further while you were there. It's amazing that Lynn hasn't had any pain. That is surprising, but good! I hope the right job/opportunity comes up so he can do something he's more comfortable with.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Catherine... Yikes! I am not really afraid of snakes, but one that big, well, it would've sure made me uneasy! Are they native there? Or jist a random feral python? I say again, yikes! I had an encounter with a very large bull snake... He stretched over a forest road here... Same kinda thing, but this is a one lane dirt road, so he probably wasnt as long as your python. I have a photo somewhere....
Chicken feed- is there anything you HAVENT done? I bought some ( way too expensive) organic feed mix today out of necessity, but i am hoping to get some bags of individual grains- wheat, barley, oats, plus field peas for protein, plus the meal worms, ( ordered 2000) and added probiotics, and mix small batches so the grains are actually sprouted and thus a living food, and that might be a good mix for them. Plus, the whole foods store gives away boxes of produce remants... And our own kitchen scraps... I think that'll do them well. If i could get decently priced organic corn, i would add that... But its outrageous, a d the whole reason for doing this is to avoid the GMOs. What did you grind yours in? I can probably leave all these whole, especially sprouted, since they will be softer.
Jenna, sounds like that mattress is just getting broken in! steve calls them our body cocoons... Sometimes i have a hard time getting out of the crater innthe morning!
Too bad about the camera! Dang! That kind of thing makes me frustrated to no end! I do virtually ALL my shopping online because we are so far from anyplace. Most of the time, it works out... But then theres the rest of the time....
Sharon, my studio has been taken over by a big crate of baby chicks! Thats a great looking old barn with lots of character!
Jo, i have a few friends who kick my butt like that. They work me lkke a borrowed mule! But its fun.
Donna, i would love that. Definitely! I can just imagine that Lynn would be leary of that machine.... They ought not to make him go back to it.
Scatdaddy, i ordered a book about Kit carson....
Hi ron, kate, jim, larry, rick, lisa, robert, DJ, donald... And everybody else!
my blog
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Catherine1

Morning Campers..

Donna.. I know I would not want to play with that machine.. Prayers that he will not have to go back to it.. Perhaps something will turn up.

Jen.. Good vibes and luck at finding a camera.. I went through them all and want my 35mm back.. But I finally found a good one that does just about everything the more expensive ones do.. (Or claim that they will do.. ) I sent back 5 brands/styles of cameras during my search! Its not an easy road.

Jo.. Sorry for the confusion.. I should have mentioned Florida in the post.. lol, sometimes I even forget where I am at. Yes.. he was a big un..

Deb.. The snakes are invaders. People bought them as cute little pets. and when they got to big to handle or feed they could not put there little friends down. So they were let loose instead. Now the snakes are a huge problem as the everglade wildlife is being decimated. A bounty hunt for them in oct.. or nov.. brought in 500 or so.. but.. the game commission didn't allow the hunt in reserves, and that is where the main population of the critters are at. People can still buy them as pets but now they are micro chipped. Any snake caught or detected to have a chip goes back to the owner.. and a huge fine is assessed. A bit late now though isn't it? The experts say they will make their way up into the southern states if not stopped here.
I'm not afraid of snakes either.. lol.. but this one startled the dickens out of me. I've moved large black snakes out of the way of equipment and been bitten.. While not to painful it still left a mark.. I can imagine what that python would have done. A resident told me I should have gotten a hoe after it. Yeah.. right.. It would have just pissed it off.. lol
Deb how much have you learned and done since you have started wanting to feed your own critters well? Farming and upper end construction makes people a master at lots of different jobs. Just like how your going at your plants.. bet your going to know all about elevation weather effects on plants ect before your done.
To answer your question on how I mixed the feed. By the time I hauled the grains that I could not bank at the mill and then waited for the boys to grind it, and haul it back, meant I wasted money and a whole day. Not to mention that every farmer who walked in the place with boots that had their animals poop ect on them was a possible disease threat to my herds.
BTW.. Farmer is just another name for someone who has to learn to do everything to save a dollar and labor.

Well today is a day off from painting.. Going to take the boat out to an island beach.. Fish.. and relax..
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Good morning, all! Hopefully I can keep up with everyone better this month with the commission out of the way ... oh, wait ... I have six drawings in various stages of completion, several to have professionally scanned to go up on the website ... oops, have to get the website done first! ...

Ahhhh ... I DID get the art desk cleared off yesterday!

Catherine, I'm not a big fan of snakes although the only poisonous snake we had in MT was the rattlesnake and you could pretty much expect them to give you warning. I'm actually much more apprehensive here in KY where there are poisonous snakes that do not rattle! The only snakes I make a serious attempt to kill are the poisonous ones, actually like having the others in the barn as they are very good deterrents for mice and rats.

Deb, we used to have chickens at the ranch, of course but never bought any feed as we raised oats, barley and wheat for our own livestock. We used to have baby chicks in the house in the early spring ... even the occasional calf, as far as that goes! I don't have chickens now, myself, I do raise rabbits as I hate butchering chickens and we don't use a lot of eggs.

Jenna, I do a lot of my buying through the Internet but I agree it can be frustrating if you have problems. I was 'introduced' late in life to on-line shopping but grew up with catalog shopping since you couldn't get much of anything except basics in town back then (50s and before) so at least the theory is something I was familiar with.

Donna, glad Lynn is doing well and hope that something else will be available that doesn't involve as much risk.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Good morning everyone!

Hi Deb. Body cocoons, that's hilarious! Thanks. I agree; I am an hour from the nearest sizeable town, so it isn't always practical to wait until getting there for some items. Plus, isn't it fun to see a UPS truck coming up the driveway?

Hi Catherine. Thanks. It's so hard to know what to pick and the reviews for many of them are so good. I feel sort of like I should just close my eyes and point to one, haha.

Hi Sharon. You're off to a successful and busy year of art, aren't you? Keep up the great work, and don't be a stranger! We all need some time to mellow out, and what better way than to sit around the Campfire with friends? Yes, internet shopping is so great, but yes, it can be frustrating when a problem arises.

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Lots going on here this morning.
Catherine my reaction to the 16+ft python is pretty much unprintable. They have become a huge problem and apparently are headed north, adapting to the cold as they go. Not good.
Deb it would be wonderful to meet you while we're in Taos! Maybe even do some painting.... I'm sure Michael (Johnson) would be fine with it - he's the one who has organized it. Taos is, as I'm sure you know, a bit funky when it comes to addresses. We'll be at a house near the intersection of hwys 64 and 522, about 4 miles north of the plaza. If you think you might want to come I will pm you the instructions on how to find the place.
Donna - good news about Lynn. One suggestion - continue to keep records and documentation on his injury - even tho he's pain free now does not mean some problem won't crop up down the line. Not to be negative - it will probably be fine, but just in case, document it all!
Looks like the hubby has finally pried himself out of bed and is eying a project in the back yard. Time for me go help I guess, or disappear.....
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSieloff
Gooooood Morning Campfire!!!!

Been MIA getting ready for our annual Easter get together, we do that at my house. Also work has been totally nuts, but that makes the days go by faster. I finished a colored pencil rose portrait, sold it before it was done, so all is well. I have another of a cactus blossom going, so I am still drawing!!

Gotta go, I'm at work and the powers that be are watching. But I'm still around, and I'm still drawing!

Kathy

I've read alittle, but gotta go as usual! I'm at work, my schedule changed. BUT, here's my rose!

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

drove 1.5hrs to an automotive swap meet today and this is what we left with:

I'll take them outside and get some better pics tomorrow. I can't wait to start drawing/painting them!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Linda. I got a good laugh out of your comments on your husband's yard project. I hope it went well regardless.

Hi Kathy. This is stunning! The colors are so vibrant and rich. Excellent work!

Hi Donna. Wow, those are just too cool! Love them both. Looking forward to your drawings and paintings!

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2013, 04:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Howdy all... Somebody puleeze make some real coffee... We are drinking decaf, a d it feels like this.

Kathy, the rose is really fine. No wonder it sold!
Donna, are you oainting ON the skulls, or usong them as subject matter? Either way, love 'em. Saw one on our hike today, probably deer.
Sharon, calves in the house! Now THATS awesome!
Catherine. I didnt know that about the phythons. Guess i wont buy any property in the south. We live too high for any dangerous snakes. Thank goodness!
I am researching places that will sell bulk grains ( preferably organic) for mixing chicken feed. I may be able to grow small quantities, but not enough.
Jenna, you will find the right camera eventually i bet!

Hey, heres a fun little experiment! I read that you can grow celery from the end of the stalk. I could t believe that, so i stuck the remains of the bottom end ina small jar of water for a day or two, and it started growing! No kidding! I put it in some dirt, and dang if it is t really growing another stalk. Woulda never figured that. Anybody have any tips on getting sweet potatoes to sprout?
my blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

further progress - added indian yellow and dark green to the ink colors...

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Definitely need a Campfire visit and an extra cup of coffee this morning. Two days and my clean up the office/studio project is pretty much where it was when I started. Basically, no freaking place to put anything. I find myself picking something up, turning around three times with it in my hand, putting in back where I picked it up from and going outside to find something physical to attack! Very small room, containing the computer/ computer desk, file cabinet, two bookcases and the big dog's large (think oversized) dog crate. It is times like this that I really, really do miss my old house, with the 14 x 20 studio space, complete with wonderful lighting, full set of windows on the north and absolutely nothing in it that wasn't related to the artwork!

Deb, most rancher's wives learn to be flexible, up to and including calves in the kitchen. However, my mother put her foot down when they started trying to jump over the 'chair corral'. I actually have a 'portrait' of this calf in mind ... looking out over the bars of the wooden chair backs!

Donna, no fair! The local swap meets and flea markets never have anything 'interesting' like your finds! A friend of mine in MT used to get buffalo skulls, paint on them and add little strips of beads/feathers/fur to one of the horns ... had them in her booth at a couple of the summer pow-wows that would bring in a lot of tourists and sold out every year ... at about $400 or more each.

Robert, your inking is coming along great and I can tell you have way more patience than I ever could have.

I think I'm going to run away from home for the afternoon at least, after we get chores done. It's looking like this day is going to call for way more chocolate than I have in the house and I need to look for big, flat, stackable storage bins!

... also probably need to finish the trip up with pizza!

Last edited by sportpony : 04-07-2013 at 10:16 AM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

"A percolating tale of abject horror!"

I lucked out on the skulls. Usually the meets only have car parts but here lately people have been dragging out other things. I'm always on the lookout for art props and couldn't believe I ran across these The larger one was $10 but he took 8 and the smaller was only 5. Another vendor had some cow skulls but he was asking way more than I wanted to pay. I originally got them as subject matter, but I may eventually paint ON them and some feathers and things and sell them like that. Not sure yet. (Or I may just add them to my growing skull collection )

Deb, I don't know if sweet potatoes are the same but I've successfully (accidentally) grown some potatoes simply by leaving them on the kitchen table and forgetting they are there. I had quite a forest started on one! I didn't know what to do with it after that so I threw it outside :/