WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Round the Campfire - April

Hi everybody! I got rather absorbed by a new wire sculpture today and sort of lost track of the time. It dawned on me that it's a new month and I'd been neglecting my first-of-the-new-month duties such as starting the new Campfire thread! What can I say? April Fools!

Happy April to you all! I'll bet a bunch of you are painting for Donald's painting-a-day challenge right now! Have fun with it!

Not too much is new here...continuing to work on the scratchboard. Oh, I did order a new camera at last. I've chosen the Canon T3i Rebel in a bundle with three lenses and a case and a few other things for a good price. It's scheduled to arrive this week. I can't wait for it to arrive!

I hope you're all well!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire - April

Howdy everybody! Cant believe we survived another winter and here it is April.
Good thing, we are almost outta firewood.
Jenna, im just a wee bit jealous of the new camera. Hope you really love it.
Whew! We resolved the property boundary situation with good feelings all around. Everything is cool... Now, only 90 more fenceposts to go.....
my blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Oh, and i thought you all would enjoy this tree carving with a little southwest flare..... 1975- doesnt seem that long ago, but its nearly 40 years! Found this one in a recent hike. There are numerous ones that date back tomthe 30's and 40's..... One ranger referred to them as "artifacts". How come, when some old cowboy signs his name its an artifact, but if yiu and i do it, its grafitti?
my blog
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Just checking in so this will come up and I won't forget it is April! I'll be back in the morning. Missed fooling you for April Fools Day....sigh
Winston Churchill
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Catherine1

Morning Campers.. Coffees on.. and its pot banging time!!! Git up, git up, git up with ya! (Hee hee,.. always wanted to do that..)

Jen.. How did your Easter dinner turn out? hope your not still getting water in the basement..

Deb.. Spring.. My favorite time... Glad you resolved the water issue with your neighbor.. Deb.. coming from you that signature on the tree would be a work of art. Then again.. I've seen some fantastic graffiti.. and they still put the artist in the hoosegow. Oh.. Are there any famous cowboy names and stories that go with the tree artifacts?

Jo.. lol.. I do that to! I get time to read but by the time I read the posts. I run out of time to say hello..

Hope everyone is well.. and a hearty hello to all who come later!! Happy Spring!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Gooooood Morning Campfire!!!!

Been MIA getting ready for our annual Easter get together, we do that at my house. Also work has been totally nuts, but that makes the days go by faster. I finished a colored pencil rose portrait, sold it before it was done, so all is well. I have another of a cactus blossom going, so I am still drawing!!

Gotta go, I'm at work and the powers that be are watching. But I'm still around, and I'm still drawing!

Kathy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

Deb...your "grafitti" aspen reminded me of a time, prolly about 40 years ago, that I was dove hunting and walked up a canyon eroded out of sandstone, came across a cliff with a sheltering overhang. Of course, I had to check it out and dang me if I didn't find my granddad's and great granddad's names written on the wall in charcoal, along with about a dozen other names, most of which I'd heard about all my life. The date was either 1903 or 08, never could be for sure. It's always been my guess they were gathering cattle and spent a night under the protection of the overhang. The next day I went back with a camera, got some pics, and further on found some Indian markings commemorating a fight between them and some whites...my great granddad had been one of the white guys in that little scrap. These pictures are some of my prize possessions. My granddad also came across a large, flat slab of rock one time with Kit Carson's name scratched in it. It was dated also, but granddad not only couldn't remember the date, he couldn't remember where the heck the rock is either. Always hoped I'd come across it while I was hunting but never did...and my days of kicking around in the hills are pretty much done so that's just one more thing I wish I could have done.

Happy April to everyone......spring must be here, it's snowing like a big dog today, was almost 70 yesterday and will be again in two or three days!!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone!

Hi Deb. Thank you! I had a bad experience with a Nikon D7000 that I returned and decided to try a Canon instead. That tree is very cool. Names written with love from the '30s and '40s? Wow, that's special. Amazing how the names remain so clear within the bark after all this time!

Hi Jo. Glad you found the April Campfire early on.

Hi Catherine. Oh, it was scrumptious! The pork was excellent - just ate the last leftovers of it for lunch today. Everything was very tasty and really hit the spot. Well, we are, but fortunately, the sump pump is handling it for me.

Hello Kathy! Despite your very busy schedule, it's so good to hear you're keeping a healthy commitment to your art. Way to go!

Hi Scatdaddy. Now that is incredible! What a find for you! I truly cherish the history of my family (and history in general) so I can most definitely see why those photos you took are such treasures. That's really special.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

progress on "Watered World" -

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Robert. wow, you are moving right along with this. It's looking great. Thanks for all the updates, they are fun to watch.
Jen, We had a canon too, the one that broke. It was small, but I loved it.
I hope you like yours.
Kathy, great to hear from you. We want to see those drawings, ma'am.
Catherine... about a half mile from the site of this tree, was another with Orlando's signature. Only that one didn't have the nifty steer drawn on it like this one.
Scatdaddy, that is the COOLEST THING EVER!!! What an amazing find, and, sure, what a treasure. Purty please, please please... scan those photos and show us?????? That is just incredible. Makes me want to go look for that Kit Carson rock too! Funny, I was just today thinking about trying to create a painting of him... gotta do more research first... but I sorta like doing the historical thing. Do you think that cave, etc. is still around? If so, I'm driving to your place, and you can walk me out there...
It SNOWED TODAY... We are supposed to maybe get a few inches overnight.
Of course, Steve had his snow tires removed today. Im getting seedlings started for the garden. This always makes me happy, even though I know half this stuff won't make it ... I still enjoy trying.
my blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Robert. This is looking really beautiful! Great depth.

Hi Deb. That's good to know about the Canon...at least until it broke. Hopefully that isn't a bad sign! Thanks. More snow for you again? Ugh. Well, a bit of moisture anyway, right?

Scatdaddy, Deb asked what I wanted to. I'd really, really love to see those photos too, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Robert, great progress. Eager to see the finished item. Looks amazing so far.

Jenna, let us know how you like the new camera. I really need to make that investment.

Catherine, offer still good on the coffee? Since it's been 18 hours since you put it on, it ought to be pretty strong by now.

Deb, those aspens bring back childhood memories from when I lived in Wyoming. I remember riding across a meadow with aspen along the edge and looking for indians who might be preparing to attack. Pretty sure there wasn't much threat...I'm not THAT old.

Kathy, congrats on selling the rose before it was even finished. That's fun!

Didn't get to paint today (I hate that!). My daughter cares for a woman who is 89. Her eyes have been really bothering her for a few days and we thought she might have pink eye. During the night last night she woke up my daughter saying that her eye was stinging very badly. After treating it my daughter found a bottle of fingernail polish remover open in the womans bathroom. Apparently, she thought is was eyewash! After an emergency trip to the doctor today it was determined that there was no permanent damage and no pinkeye. It's just probably bad hay fever. All meds and first aid supplies are now out of her room.
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:04 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States

You know what is more fun than selling a picture? Getting the CHECK in the mail! They paid me an in a very prompt manner.
Man I am high!

Beau and I went on a staycation. Literally three miles from his house on travel points. The bathroom was horrible and not clean so he complained and they comped it. Could NOT sleep in the bed. Next free hotel MUST be by an ocean!

About those trees... When I lived in Utah I went to an exhibition of photos of trees in California and Nevada. Basque shepherds had graffitied ... well.... lets call them early Playboy representations. A very very odd show of "artifacts". You know those shepherds get lonely...
(I just googled them and I was not hallucinating) I think your tree might be one of the last as they were done in mid century.l

dj*
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Rick, you jist never know about them redskins..... (KIDDING, everybody)

dJ... Have stayed in a few pretty skanky places. Didnt enjoy it.
I will have to get over to a place where some shepherds carved into a big flat rock. No playboy images, but some nice artwork.
jenna, our camera was pretty abused, coming along for most of our running adventures, getting dropped... The particular model we had repeatedly would have the lens get stuck open. Last time, it wasnt under warranty and we couldnt afford to send it back for repair. I bet you will treat yours better!
my blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Jenna, thanks for starting us off. No fooling. Congrats on the camera.

Deb, nice to have some nice weather and a new fence to go with it. Interesting carvings on the aspen. I think it has to be over 100 years old to be an artifact. Ha. Happy gardening.

Catherine, I slept through your banging yesterday! I'm up and having coffee now. Evil grin.

Kathy, so fun that you are busy with art! Inspiring.

scatdaddy, how cool was that to find the writings. Great you got a photo. Yes, signs of spring here, too.

Robert, hi there. Nice colors developing.

Rick, medications are scary and dangerous at any age. Good for your daughter for checking it out.

dj, great to get paid! Yuck on the hotel. Funny graffiti.

Gene is not supposed to eat so much processed food, well, guess it is bad for all of us. Anyway, I was thinking about the good old days and cooked up some apples with a bit of cinnamon like my mom used to do. I had some warmed with a bit of cream (non fat half and half .. can that be real?) for breakfast. So yummy and such a nice memory. Sigh......

We got about an inch of rain yesterday, so welcome. Now it is cool for a day. Nice..... I sketched on the porch for the Scavenger Hunt. It had to be quick as I was freezing, about 55 degrees, ha. There have been many turtles on the little island in the sun, but no sun today so no turtles.

Winston Churchill