WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire ~ March

Getting close.... and I would like those in the know to help me with the color:

I can go back and minimize the brown tones and substitute black with pure white accents or leave them like this....
For those who know the colors, how does this look to you?
(seems just a BIT more in the purple browns online than on my easel. Think chocolate)
dj*
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! Sorry to be so absent. I have been trying to just read along the campfire but I must admit, I am missing some of this good conversation.

Wish I could say I was painting more–but everything in it's time.

No matter how far behind I am, I did have to give a shout-out to Ron and Catherine on their shows. Ron that is great that you sold your work. Catherine we told you "you wuz good".

Jenna, your big project looks like it will be amazing–and a lot of work.

DJ, your work is always so good. Love the dark horse. All I would say about color is think about reflected light going back into the shadows (like blue).

Deb, I did get my desk done. I have had this desk for years–cut part of it off and mounted it to an electric pedestal. After 2 weeks of use, It seems to really be helping my back–not waking up at night in pain. I stand most of the day but can put it down for and hour or 2 at a time.

To Donna and everyone else who commented on the SW Art magazine–thanks. I appreciate it.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Great idea to lower the river!!!
Sorry I missed the congrats on your cover... YOU ROCK!
dj*
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Just a quick word, I'm in the hospital waitin room. Hubby got hurt at work. I'd appreciate any prayers y'all could spare. He's in the OR so it's a waiting game to now. Oh, and the art work on the walls in here is wretched o.O
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Hoping for a small inconvenience and very speedy recovery.... I am thinking of you.
dj*
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Catherine1

Donna.. Hugs and prayers.. for you both..
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

Donna..........prayers to both your husband and you. Please keep us posted.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Donna, you got those prayers... And God is never taken by surprise, even though we are....he knows all about this... I pray you will just know He is there with you. Please if you are able, let us hear how things are going.

Jim, great deal on the desk. I am glad it is helping with your symptoms.. Steve stands at work all day- his company is investing in a standing desk for him- that raises and lowers like yours...
my blog
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Oh, Donna ... fingers crossed. Hope the news is good.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi there everybody!

Hi Rick. Yes, it is pretty large, isn't it? It will be interesting to see how many hours it will take. Thanks for the encouragement. It will help me to keep going.

Hi Lola. Yes indeed, I rolled a 4-wheeler. I'm not wild or reckless as a rule, but it did happen. Sorry your experience with the fixative. Scratchboards can be hard to varnish from what I've heard. It can become spotty or even have little white flecks. I usually apply two or three coats and the spottines seems to even out. It can be tricky though.

Hi Deb. Yes, it's massive. It was a little intimidating to see it for the first time, so I forced myself to just go up to it and promptly begin working on it. The longer it stayed crisp and new, the harder I felt starting might be. Now there's not turning back!

Hi Catherine. Yikes, I have an audience to entertain now! Just kidding, I really appreciate the interest in my new undertaking you all are showing. Thanks much!

Hi Mark. We're caught up in the same storm. It's about over now, but we got probably 8 or so inches I'd guess. The outside cats are none too happy about this, but at least they can cuddle up in a hay pile in our pole shed. Thanks! Yes, it feels like quiet a project, and I hope it will draw some interest and hopefully more commissions in the future. Have you seen any otters yet?

Hi Lisa. It is a huge scratchboard, and it is a little intimidating, but I am enjoying it. I'm glad it's a tree - trees come in every shape, so mistakes should be sort of easy to cover up. Whew! Oh, please share your new painting with us as it progresses. You are such a great artist and I'd love to see more of what you do!

Hi DJ. This is looking great! I'm no color expert, but I think the highlights in the black parts of the hide need a bit more warmth. At the moment, the highlights look a little bit like the paper is showing through. Even so, it's looking great!

Hi Jim. Great to see you here. Your desk looks great and I'm so happy it's giving you some relief from your back pain! Wonderful news, and I hope it continues to help you. Thanks! I'm already realizing how much work this will take. I'm starting to think I really should have asked for more to do it. Oh well...it's a labor of love I guess.

Hi Donna. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband getting hurt! I'll be praying for you both. Hope all turns out alright. Hang in there, and yes, please keep us posted.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

Donna, praying for you and your husband.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Donna- thoughts and prayers from us here as well, hope he is ok

Just a quick drive by hello and thank you for your congrats on the show. You guys and gals are the best.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Thank y'all so much I just got home from the hospital...they took him into surgery and removed a 12" piece of metal from his leg. Somehow it went in the front and ended up at the back. He's in a room and is doing well. I'm gonna head up there in the morn and will hopefully be able to bring him home before long. Again, thanks
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Donna - sending you light and love. Hope he recovers quickly!
Jim - your elevator desk should help - we had them where I worked in Portland and it's a great idea. If you haven't already - you might want to get a small stool to put one foot up on while you're standing. Many people find it really relieves lower back problems. (One reason why bars have them - or rather rails to put your feet on??)
DJ the horse looks great, of course.
And Catherine - WELL DONE! We knew you were good - now they do too!
Jenna - maybe you could get a few of those cats to help you on the scratching. Sorry about your weather - 75 again here today. Just sayin.... and yes you can remind me of this come July when it's 110 here.
It was a perfect morning for a walk. So I went. Hubby almost locked me out of the house on his way to work - I didn't have a key w me and he didn't realize where I was. (He's pretty careful about not doing that after locking me out when he left to go buy a new car for himself. I was NOT amused.)

This is about 1/2 mile up the trail from our house. Sloan Canyon National Natl Conservation Area. yeah - we're pretty lucky to live so close.

Working on a piece that is giving me fits. Some parts are wonderful and much of it looks like bad pea soup. Perhaps a solution will be revealed tomorrow.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Donna, so glad it sounds like he'll be OK, but... . Prayers said for both of you and will continue.