WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:08 PM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire ~ March

Wow again! What a stellar bunch in here. Congratulations!
dj*
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Catherine! Ron!

This is great, great news! So happy for both of you, and well deserved on both counts!
This is me doing a little "yay for you"! Dance......

As to all the teflon stuff, I basically dont trust anything except what has been around for generations- cast iron, and steel. It just has to be bad if hat stuff starts flaking off.... Sure didnt know birds were so affected by it.
Jenna, thats a great story about your grandpa. I would love to meet him someday.
DJ- that horse is looking so good. You are such a good draw-er! I cant wait to hear what the commission is! Exciting!
CK- i am very happy with the family grain mill. It will not get your flour fine like store bought, and if you run it through a second time, which is real easy work, it does get finer, but its not that much difference and i rarely bother. And having to do it all by hand is a self governing mechanism to not eat too much bread! I can grind 4-5 cups in about. 15 minutes. Tonight i made quck yeast rolls to go with our veggie soup-rye and spelt, very yummy.
Rick- have fun out there!

My new herd of foster chickens seems to be settling right in... To the dismay of my four little hens, who are now cowering in the corner mostly! Im sure they will all work it out. So far, the rooster, whom i have dubbed "The Colonel" seems mild mannered enough. Todaynthey got lots of treats- coconut pulp ( i make coconut milk from coconuts- the pulp still has lots of goodness left) they love that. I got 20 bunches of cilantro, and they got lots of stems, cabbage leaves, squash - all kinds of treats.
Gotta finish my sons painting pronto- they arrive Saturday!
my blog
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Well look at all this amazing news!!!

Hi Ron. Wow, that is so awesome! It sounds like you had such an amazing experience with this juried show. And you sold both pieces? Amazing work, my friend! Congratulations!! Awesome news. Way to go! I remember that painting well - one of my favorites of yours. Will you miss it? Great job! I hope this opens many artistic doors for you.

Hi DJ. Love this new WIP, and this new possible commission sounds very interesting. Good luck, and have fun with this beautiful horse!

Hi Catherine. Oh, that is some excellent news!! Congratulations on a reward well earned! Very exciting! I'm so happy for you. I remember this beautiful painting of yours. Well done!

Hi Deb. Grandpa Jim is a pretty amazing guy. Thanks. Wow, your chickens get the good life! I hope your four chickens get used to all the good company soon.

Hi to everyone else! Donna, I'm so glad you caught the ingredients list before eating something you're allergic to! Close call there!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Congrats Catherine! Wow, what an honor and well deserved. That's a beautiful painting. A Grand Prize is great motiviation to do more! Way to go.
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

Ron.......congratulations to you, my friend!!!!! Over the past several years it's been enjoyable to watch your progress, to see you grow as an artist. Nothing creates success like success and it's plain to see you are on your way. Well done, but now you know we are all expecting even more and better things from you......(just thought I'd throw in a little added pressure)

Deb.....I'm really excited to see this latest portrait come together. My nephew owns a 4 year old quarter horse gelding that has this same coloring. I've never been able to come up with a descriptive color for him (never thought of the term "seal colored"), so I've just called him a mule which upsets my nephew, which in turn makes me laugh. I asked the brand inspector how he is identified and was told the tan spot on the nose marks him as a buckskin, who'd a thunk? I sure hope you can keep posting the progress, as I said I'm enjoying it. Jake, my nephew, is really going to like it when I start calling Chopper a seal colored buckskin instead of a dark haired mule.

Catherine.....way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just more proof to me that bigger isn't always better. I remember this painting from a while back and really feel it is truely deserving of the honor. Congratulations.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatdaddy
I sure hope you can keep posting the progress, as I said I'm enjoying it. Jake, my nephew, is really going to like it when I start calling Chopper a seal colored buckskin instead of a dark haired mule.

She sent me pages of horses this color. While calling it "very black" all of the few pictures (a memorial) of it were brown. The gold around the nose is much less pronounced than these first stages and the black is being supported with a nearly purple dark brown. Big problem is going to be the shadows.
For now I am just pushing darks in and lifting out with an eraser when it gets too heavy.]
Off to Tucson to pick up my Empire Rance (NO SALE, yes I am jealous!!!) and meet with an old friend who is a cutter. Hopefully she can show me some dazzling moves!
dj*
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Hi, all ... would you believe I am still doing pen and ink illustrations? Yes ... job security is a good way to look at it. My 2013 goal (I no longer make New Year's resolutions) was that I would make a serious effort to 'market' my artwork this year, update blog, add work on the print on demand gallery sites, FB art page and I am now comfortable with the idea that I will not add a website for the art studio next year if I'm selling anything, but I can actually get it done at the same time as the rest of the steps. It's paid for ... and I know from the website for the horse business that it is a much better and more cost effective way to 'advertise' than paid print advertising. Limited at first as I really don't have much to show since the fire took nearly everything along with the photos of past work, but it's a start. Now I get to agonize over which image should go on the first page as an eye-catcher.

Ron and Catherine ... congratulations and great news about the shows. I have to admit I miss doing shows. I'm not very social but I do find that I miss that more than I expected to.

DJ I've been there and done that with the seal browns. It is not an easy color, black sometimes, dark chocolate sometimes, bay highlights at other times and never the same. Looks like you've got a good start with it.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Yay! Catherine!!!!!

Jenna, your post with all the jumping, clapping smilies looks like a flash mob!!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well today. We're in the path of a storm that's supposed to dump anywhere from 6 - 10 inches of snow on us. Oh well...I guess it's technically still winter.

Hi DJ. Your WIP is looking very fine. That bay gradation on the muzzle is excellent.

Hi Sharon. Keep up the great work on the illustrations. And I hope you have much success in getting your artwork out there to market!

Hi Donna. I noticed that after I posted - that was a lot of applause, but it Ron and Catherine deserved it.

Hi Rick, Scatdaddy, Jim, Lisa, Jo, CK, Cindy, and everyone else!

I've been working on my new scratchboard commission every day. I'm about 4 - 6 hours in. I've got the basic outline and today I started putting some leaves in. I'm really enjoying this one. Hope you all don't mind my sharing it here.

To give an idea of the size, you can see it here with an 8x10 inch "practice" scratchboard in front of it.

Here are my tools.

My progress doesn't look like much yet, but here it is...I haven't taken a photo yet since starting the leaves.

Talk to you all later!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Jenna, that thing is huge...and the tools aren't! What a challenge. Can't wait to see the finished piece.
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Howdy all,

Lookie – it’s March 4th and I’m hopelessly behind in commenting…

Looks like I need to pick up a copy of Southwest art & see what Jim is up to! How cool.

Toads have toxic slime? Dang.

Wow Jenna rolled a 4 wheeler. ! !

I use stainless steel or cast iron skillets too. Teflon is bad stuff.

Ron, how exciting! Congrats.

Catherine, well deserved! Good for you.

DJ, love the horse, you are so talented.

Jenna you have the patience of a saint to take on such a large scratchboard; my largest was 5”x7”. I quit doing them when I was unable to varnish them correctly. My practice piece looks like crap, lots of spots of spray varnish.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

dJ... He is looking mighty fine!
Jenna... Wow, that is some big hunk of scratchboard! I am going to enjoy watching the progress- keep us all posted as you go!
Todays's homesteading experiment was to make coconut milk from a fresh coconut. It is really good and creamy.
my blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Catherine1

Thanks for the congrats everyone..

Lola.. There you are! Glad to see you posting. Yes toads can have toxic slime. Who knew?

Rick I can't wait to see Jenna's finished either.. Pulling up a chair gal. Updates will be appreciated! Oh.. and it looks like you will have some snow time to work on it too. But I do hope you all warm up soon.

Sharon.. That is sad to lose all your work.. Sorry.. But I'm sure you will be back on track soon. So.. how is the book illustration coming along?

Jim.. Thanks.. One of the comments when I brought the piece in was.. "Gee its a shame its not a larger format" But your right most judges choose paintings of size as well as quality.

DJ.. I'll say it again.. I love your paintings!!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Congratulations to Ron and Catherine on your success!

We got about 2-3 inches of snow yesterday, (about 6 inches of drifty snow on the deck). Woke up this morning and it looks as though we have about 5-6 inches of the white stuff overnight and more on the way! Two out of the last three years we have hardly had any snow and last March was a record for highs, (70's-80's) warmer than April or May! Two years of drought has left the local river very close to being dried up!

Made my first batch of jerky the other day... yum.

Held off doing much painting this year as my art supply is dwindling. Hoping for a change soon.

Jenna, that looks like quite a project!

Debra, always enjoy viewing your coffee stain art!
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Hiya to all, and happy spring break heh heh.

CONGRATULATIONS to you Ron and Catherine! Wow! Ron--is that painting a pastel? I do remember seeing it, but in the photo it looks like a glassless oil (and no mat--used spacers if it's a pastel?). Either way, it's fantastic, and Catherine you look proud and deserving of your top finish! I love that horse. I think I said I'd hang it on my wall. . . .

Jenna--I would be censorered for what I said when I saw the scale of that board! All I can say is, wow!!! I can't wait to see it progress!

DJ--Beautiful horse! Kinda looks like my Tigger, though his star is a bit bigger and misshapen.

Deb--I'd take a pair of those socks! I love thick wool socks. Have fun with all of the chickens! You make your own coconut milk? Of course you do. . . .

Marcus--I hope you're tucked in at home today! We had ice yesterday and now a bit of snow but lots of wind. I think I just heard that a semi went into the river in the Cities area. Yikes!

I am reading and plan to kick off a painting tomorrow--I have a couple of gifts I'd like to work on, and one for my office. I'll also do some work and ramp up the Tough Mudder training. No exotic travel plans for me! I might even sneak in a ride this weekend if the forecasted thaw hits the dangerous ice we have everywhere, mostly due to the rains a couple weeks ago. The ditches are snow-covered and dangerous, with a new thin layer of ice now. Gotta love it!

Happy March, everyone! Hi to all!

Lisa