WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire - January, 2013

Kathy, I cringe every time I have to upgrade my computer or try to get used to a new program. I am so technologically illiterate!

Ron, hope the house makeover is going well

Catherine, I know what you mean about mileage. I bought what I intended to be my last-ever brand new, right off the showroom floor vehicle back in 1993, a black Dodge diesel extended cab, 3/4 tone 4 x 4 Ram pickup. I was doing a lot of long distance horse hauling at the time with the horse breeding operation (none now) but it now has just shy of 400,000 miles on it and is still running fine.

Jo, hope the roads are cooperating.

Jenna, so interesting about the book. Tell more!

I posted my dog memorial portrait on Animals looking for some feedback. I got through the issue that was holding me up last (more beer cans needed) but I've now nit another bump in the road. I think I'm having more trouble with this because Jack was "my dog", lots of emotional attachment and I am probably seeing more than the reference photos are actually showing.

I used to work on just one thing at a time, never started a second piece until the one I was working on was completed. The older I get, the more I am discovering that I do better if I have several different things in various stages so instead of working straight through, I can let something sit for awhile if I'm not sure of something and just go on to something else.

I like having at least one thing that I tell people is just my 'paint by number' piece ... something that all the difficult bits have been done and all I have are the basic shadows and highlights that are easy to put in.

And now, back to the drawing board ... need sunflowers for an old tractor study!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hey everybody!

Hi Linda. Yes, a novel. I've been an aspiring writer for several years, but this is the first book that I've finished and edited to my satisfaction, so it's quite exciting for me. I just placed the order with a printing company an hour or so ago. I'll get a proof back, and if everything is to my liking, I could have the novels printed and delivered here in about a week. I'll write the synopsis below.

Hi Kathy. Ah, those new computers are a love/hate purchase, aren't they? Good luck with it! Thanks for the nice comments. Look below to see a basic synopsis of the book.

Hi Sharon. I'm sure your dog portrait is looking great! Animals weave their way into so many areas of our lives that it's hard to capture it all in art. Thanks! You can read about it below.

The novel was written during the "NaNoWriMo" challenge of completing a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. What a chaotic and exciting rush that was! Of course, the novel has needed a lot of fixing up since being written, but I am feeling content with it at last after over two years of editing. It's set in the year 1869, and is based in a real nearby town called Alma here in Wisconsin.

Here is the synopsis/back of the book.

Left with amnesia from a battle wound, Zeke has been trying to find his way home ever since he walked away from the war. With no memory of his past, he has been wandering without friends or family for years.

Jemima believes she has been a widow for over four years. She now finds herself captivated by Fate Blanchard, a driven, determined bounty hunter of war deserters.

Three lives collide, throwing a chaotic twist into each one. Will Zeke find his way home? Or will Fate cut short Zeke’s plans and his life before he gets that chance?

So that may give you a basic idea of the plot.

Hello to everyone else out there! Have a great evening!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaboo88
especially when he would wake me the next morning by throwing dirty socks at me.

That's funny! My nephew and I are only three years apart so he was more like my brother. We shared a room when he came to visit and him being a morning person, and me NOT....he would wake me up early cause he wanted to play. Once he woke me up by smashing his Tonka truck into the bed frame until I got up, grabbed it and threw it into the closet....crushing a plaster piggy bank he had in there

Been really busy fine-tuning a novel I wrote a couple of years ago. [/quote]

Can I get an autographed copy????
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Donna. It sounds like some good memories with your nephew. His poor piggy bank!

In regards to that novel, check your PM's.

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Jenna, I really felt bad after I got a spanking for breaking it!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! We went to Austin to dinner and meet our youngest daughter's significant other's parents. It was fun. The weather is cold and wet. We have had a couple of inches of rain since New Years. Yahoo!!

Jenna, anxious to read your book. The plot sounds so interesting. Will you look for a publisher or do your own? My friend has a book on Amazon. I'm signing up for a copy .. your check is in the mail!

Kathy, hope you get the computer figured out. It is hard to learn new stuff for me, anyway.

Sharon, well our trip is delayed a few days. Our friend in Florida will not be home so we need to start a bit later. OK with me as behind as I am. Ha.

Donna G. sounds like a great nephew, well, fun nephew!
Winston Churchill
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Jenna, interesting plot and interesting to see that the first draft was written in the "NaNoWriMo" challenge. I saw that for the first time this year on Goodreads. That and the proliferation of eBooks and self-publishing programs on line have certainly changed the publishing world. Good luck with it.

The belated Christmas present to my CO friend got into the mail yesterday, the unicorn foal/wild prairie rose/butterfly composition. Pleased with it overall, but I think I've had all the pink roses I want for awhile! I thought about adding wild roses to the old tractor picture I'm going to be doing but I think I will opt for sunflowers with this one!

Just about finished (finally) with the memorial portrait of my Black Jack. Can't believe he's been gone 4 years now, but I am, I think, going to be happy with the portrait. Maybe one day left on that ... then back to the portrait of the Oldenburg stallion.

Last edited by sportpony : 01-05-2013 at 09:11 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone. Happy Saturday! Packers are playing the Vikings tonight again...I can only hope we might to a bit better than the last game!

Hi Donna. Amazing how a spanking can be so effective, isn't it?

Hi Jo. It sounds like you've had a good new year so far. Hooray for the rain! It is much needed I'm sure, so that's great news! Wow, thank you so much for the interest in my book! I'll PM you when they arrive. I am self-publishing this one. It's my first completely finished novel, so I chose to do it this way. In the future with other books though, I may look into contacting a publishing house. We'll see. Thanks again for the interest! I am flattered, and appreciate it very much!!

Hi Sharon. Thanks so much! NaNoWriMo was definitely a challenge, but it's such a great feeling to do it. I loved every minute of it. Thanks for the good luck. Your portrait of Black Jack is wonderful, and your blog post was so well written and lovely. Really very moving. He sounds like one special and wonderful dog. Good work on the drawing! I'm happy your Christmas gift drawing has been shipped as well. Let us know how it turns out. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled with it!

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Jenna, yep and I had my fair share for sure! I even have the old wooden spoon my mamma used to whip my butt with...I think of her every time I take it out of the drawer and thank the Lord she was wise enough to use it
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Same here, Donna. Nothing taught me to behave like a spanking.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Heh, my mom used to keep a little paddle in a certain drawer in the kitchen, and I could hear that drawer open from anywhere on the block. One time I'd been smarting off to her and then I heard the drawer open – – and turns out she just wanted one of the rubber bands that were also stored there. Phew!!

My folks never had to pick me up from jail though, so Lord bless 'em, they must have done something right
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

CK...BAAAHAHAHAHA!!! That's too funny! (and boy can I relate!) My mamma used to tell me that I could go outside and play, but I better stay withing the sound of her voice. She'd stand on the back porch when it was time to come in and yell my name and I had BETTER be in within a reasonable amount of time. I DID NOT want her to have to come looking for me!!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Same here. All my friends lived within a few houses of me, so that wasn't usually too hard to do, but kids can still find a way!

I recall going through a tree-climbing phase and for whatever reason, my folks handed down a strict injunction to stay out of the front yard tree. Having promised, I promptly went up the street and joined a bunch of neighbor kids in *their* front yard tree. After a while I noticed Mom in our yard calling me, so I grabbed my little red wagon and headed home, pulled the wagon into the garage where it was stored and then – DUN dun DUN – the garage grew dark and Mom was shutting the big door behind us, that same paddle in hand!

I freaked and asked her what'd I DO, and she replied that she had just told me not to be climbing trees, and where did she find me? "But Mom," I wailed, "You told me not to climb OUR tree! You didn't say don't climb ANY tree!!" Well she wasn't buying it and I was sweating bullets for a few minutes, but then she thought it over and decided that she had used language that specifically referenced our one tree. So, I was exonerated, let off on a technicality... and provided with another stern injunction to stay out of ALL the trees from now on!

Apparently, I should have been a lawyer.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States

I KEEP reading and not posting. I am way behind, but basically no news. Which is good news. Cat is alive, but slow. I am about the same. .... as the cat!

More soon. AT least I am subscribed now.
dj*
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

hahaha, CK that's some funny stuff! I went through a phase where I loved to go down to the nearby creek and look at all the critters in there. My parents had warned me to stay out of there and I just couldn't resist the pull. I, to this day, can still remember the moment when I felt eyes staring at me...looked up and saw my dad looking down at me. Needless to say, I got spanked all the way back to the house and was on restriction for about a week. I tell ya though....I NEVER lied to my parents again!!