WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#196   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire - January, 2013

Donna, Jerry's Artarama here was amazing at first. I think with all the downturn they really cut down on inventory. They still have lots of classes and info and good sales, but not as much crammed into the store. Thanks for sharing the art show. I like the still life drawing. Lots of memories. Well done.

DJ, nice old cowboy. Beautiful in fact. Smile.

Sharon, interesting photo of the Rotts. Dogs are so intelligent and fun.

CK, nice dogs, too.

Catherine, I feel for the remodeling stuff.

Jenna, yes congratulations on the book!!!!! We are all interested in buying a copy!!

Scatdaddy, great photo show of the dogs. Nifty.

I painted on my apples today. Will start a windmill or the Texas Llano Estacado soon. That is the staked plains near Lubbock. Cotton fields and nothing far as you can see......
Winston Churchill
  #197   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Jo, thanks for that info. We're going to have to go to Houston soon (hubby's parents live there) so I thought about a trip to Austin on the way. A little out of the way but worth it if there's a good art store. Think I'll just visit Texas Art Supply down in Webster. I used to go there alot, before I got into art, and gripe about the meager jewelry making supplies. I'd LOVE to have that place nearby now!!!
  #198   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Ooh--art store nearby, very lucky! I go to Dick Blick's in the Cities when we travel there (or to the racetrack nearby). The last time, though, all of the velour pastel paper was warped, so I didn't buy anything--probably good!!

The blue heelers are gorgeous!!! Such an adorable puppy, too; I'm sure it will be spoiled--in a good way of course.

I just checked the forecast: temps warming to -6 to -2 tomorrow--ha! Most schools are canceled due to the -40 windchill, but not mine. . . .

Hi to all--I can't keep up!

Keep the fire blazing!
  #199   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

All 3 of my submissions were accepted for the Echo Art Show in San Jose this weekend. Paintings that aren't sold go on display for 4 weeks. First time I've been in this show so I'm eager to see how it goes.

I was also asked to provide some pieces for a wine and gift shop today. They have 2 other shops, too, so if anything sells there is a possibility of more work in the future.

So far 2013 is looking pretty good!
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #200   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Jenna, congrats on the book.

Donna, nice composition and interesting objects plus great work from 'life', which is something I don't do well. I compose, take photos and then work from the photos.

Scatdaddy, if you don't paint a picture of that purple heeler pup with a spike hairdo, someone should! I've known many heelers during my ranch years and they are always interesting.

I'm working now on a set of drawings in preparation for the racing season here in KY this year, hoping to get them on line before the Kentucky Derby. The only thing I've sold out of a gallery since I've been in KY was a race horse so that should tell me something, maybe.

I'm bouncing back and forth from those to the pen and ink book illustrations I'm doing on commission. They are interesting, as they need to be line drawings and I'm very 'detail oriented' so have to keep reminding myself not to shade in details which I'm finding remarkably difficult!

At least getting quite a lot accomplished, two days of temperatures in the high 50s with steady rain (and the mud is getting rather astonishing) and now two days with temperatures at or just above freezing and snow.

Schools closed everywhere around KY ... and I find it amusing to note that they have had a real blizzard near the area where I used to live in MT ... and the buses are running on a 2 hour delay!
  #201   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Oh campers - I remember your pain! Zero degrees or less and then the windchill. I don't ever remember, however, that they closed the schools simply because it was cold. Only for snow. (And this was back when girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school!) Today it's about 65 today and you could cut glass on the blue edges of the sky. I should probably go out and clean up the dead things in my yard from last week's hard freeze. Or not.
Jim - PUPPIES!!! Or puppy. How can you not fall in love. Your heelers remind me of my sister's Aust. Sheep Dog. Very energetic. Sweet. And a counter climber. Never leave anything edible on her counters!
Yesterday was a very mixed day. My boss called in the morning to tell me that the grant for our project has been seriously cut back and so I have been laid off/let go/axed. It may be time to call up the social security folks. Then in the afternoon my old friend Sandy (we met in Madison back in about 1970) took me to a spa at Lake LV for a great massage. After that we got our toesies done. This was my Christmas present from her. It was so nice out they had the doors open and we could enjoy the views of the mountains from our massage tables. Definitely took the edge off the bad news!
Well I've been ignoring the housework long enough - time to get at it.
  #202   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Rick! Congrats!!!!

Linda I hate to hear that about your job. Prayers for you
  #203   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! I just spent a good share of the day making whoopie pies - they are to die for! I try to make them every year for my birthday, and this year is my 25th, so it should be a fun one...that's less than a week away, so it's a bit early for whoopie pies. But they are as yummy as always!

Hi Donna. So happy you're enjoying your class - confidence goes a long, long way in the art world!

Hi Jo. Thanks so much for the encouragement! The books are on a UPS truck somewhere...scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Hi Lisa. The Blick store in the Cities is a good one! Haven't you got a Hobby Lobby or a Michaels nearby? I love art stores! Brr, stay warm!

Hi Rick. Wow, congratulations on all the good news! I'm happy for you!

Hi Sharon. Thanks so much! Congratulations on the pen and ink commissions! That's great news! Book illustrations - what fun! What sort of drawings do you have to do for the book? Congrats!

Hi Linda. Oh no...I'm so sorry to hear about your being laid off. That is not good. The massage was probably the best thing for you. Hang in there.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #204   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

I just have to say that painting a snowscape without a reference, especially when you've done maybe one of them, ever, is a fool's errand. You would NOT believe what's lurking up on my easel. I'm almost afraid to go back in there. ATTACK OF THE KILLER PASTELS!
Needless to say, I'm not exactly mourning the loss of my job. I loved it, but it was seriously part-time, and it was just a matter of time before the funding was cut, given what's going on w the budget. But thanks for your thoughts - I am very lucky to have a well-employed hubby to support my habits!
  #205   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Linda. Isn't it amazing how a lack of reference can make drawing or painting so much harder? A reference is so helpful! I'm sure your painting isn't as bad as you feel it is right now.

I'm glad it wasn't a rude surprise that you've been laid off. It sounds like you're in good spirits about it.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #206   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Linda--I'm sorry to hear of your news. I've never written a grant of any substance, though it's probably in the works for this year, and I respect anyone who is good at it. Lucky you for a safety net of hubby. I hope you'll post your pastel as a WIP--I love seeing how others deal with the process. The spa sounds great; I've never been to one.

Congratulations, Rick!

Jenna--Yes we do have both Michael's and Hobby Lobby in Sioux Falls, but they don't carry much for pastels or paper. I have to order all of my pastel paper, or buy it at Blicks. I do love that store, and it's an easy trip from the horse racing track at Canterbury--about a 20 minute drive or so.

Linda--We had a high temp of -7 yesterday, with high winds, though it's to lift to 15 or so today, yay! Time to go horseback riding. Just kidding. Maybe next week.

Have a great day, all!

Last edited by Lisa M : 02-01-2013 at 08:18 AM.