WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Catherine1

Re: Round the Campfire ~ April

Deb.. How grand is that! Congrats to you!!

I'm so with you on the clothes deal. Hubby took me shopping last night.. (Wedding ordeal) He all my good dress clothes have to much paint on them. Why don't you just wear the jeans with a little bit of paint and a shirt to match the paint dabs. I know someone who does that

K.. Off to to print a picture of an owl.. Thanks for the suggestion Deb!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

progress - putting things more into context on FUGUE........

that's about two feet across........
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello everyone!

Hi Lisa. How have you been?

Hi Donald. I haven't seen Two Feathers for a while... Any new paintings on your easel?

Hi Deb. Sorry to hear you got so much snow. Hope spring finds you soon!

Congratulations on the show! So exciting! You sound like me...I never dress up enough. Happy shopping, if you can bear to go shopping at all!

Hi Kate. Mm, pancakes!

Hi Catherine. I can't wait to see your studio all finished and ready for you to move in. No kittens yet, but the cats are getting rounder by the day. Funny story with your robin! Hope he doesn't hurt himself. Good luck rehoming him if you can catch him. Animals aren't easy to relocate permanently. Squirrels, for instance, always find their way home. Maybe he wants food or something?

Hi Jo. Congratulations on the award and the sale! Such good news! Wow, that box is so beautiful! What a great keepsake that will be for someone. Excellent work!

Hi Robert. That's looking beautiful!

I've been working with something different for a change. Scratchboard. It's just the second time I've done this, but I had forgotten how much fun it is. Here is how it's looking so far.

Hello to everyone else! Hope you're having a great day!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Robert, that's looking great! You have WAAAAYYYy more patience than I could ever have. Kudos....

Jenna, awesome, and, uh, it's a CAT.. what a surprise...
my blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Jenna,

I'm working on a 16x20 gallery wrapped of TF. I'm getting close to being finished. I hope to finish it this morning. IF I can get off the computer. I LOVE my new internet service. Cancelling Wildblue was so satisfying after 6 years of expensive lousy service.

I think I"ll make a new rule for myself. Painting before computer. I plan on painting, then I fire up the computer and before I know it, what little time I have for painting was spent on the computer.

Later,
Donald
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

same problem here, heh heh....... need to set time limits, and get to work - else it will be months more before getting this painting done.......
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Mornin' campers!

Robert, your pic is gonna be stunning! But OMG, Huge!!! I agree with Deb - you have way more patience than I do too!!

Donald, you are right - this site in particular is addicting! I find I'm keeping the site open, then doing my work at the same time (at work!). I know, bad girl! But I keep switching back and forth. I do get my work done though!

Jenna - scratchboard! How fun! Never tried it, but I've seen some AMAZING stuff. Look at the scratchboard thread at the Ocelot that just got finished. Breathtaking!!

Hi Catherine! Hope you get your Robin issue taken care of with minimal stress to the bird. Reminds me of a LONG time ago when I was a newlywed, we had a Cardinal do this at our window. Very dependable alarm clock!

OK, what's for breakfast???? I think cream of wheat with toast, a bit of peanut butter and home made apricot jam. And let's not forget the 'joe!

Have a super Thursday gang!
Kate
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrunner

... Which means I have to dress up. Which means, I have to go shopping (and I hate shopping) because, I currently have two sets of clothes. Clothes with paint on them, and clothes with even MORE paint on them. One of the folks from the jury who called said, "Oh, this is New Mexico, a nice pair of jeans, and a blazer will be just fine!". Well, great. I only own one pair of jeans, slightly soiled with paint,(does that count as "nice"?) and do not have a blazer.
I work in my pajamas, remember. And then put on running clothes. I seldom have to appear in public, so this sort of thing just stresses me out. Maybe not going is easier (certainly cheaper)

This just made me laugh out loud!! What a problem to have....I know a lot of us that would like to be in your shoes!! Good luck with the show, and I know you'll look nice - even IF you get paint on your new clothes!!

Kate
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Ah Deb - I feel your pain. Don't even own a pair of panty hose (but maybe some painty hose??) anymore and rarely put on a skirt. Dressing up around here is a pair of shorts with hardly any paint and a new pair of flip flops.
Congrats on the show!
Catherine, not sure there's a cure for your kookoo clock robin. In Colorado we had a woodpecker that liked to peck the metal eaves on our house - at 6am of course - and set up a horrendous rattle. I think he finally wore his beak down and had to stop.
Robert - that piece is a nice start. And Jenna, nice kitty. No surprises here.
And Don you are so right - the computer will suck the life out of your day. Which is a great place to stop.
Cheers all!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi all!

I have been busy trying not to spend too much time at the computer. I started doing decompression therapy on my back. Just think The Rack except more sophisticated and more expensive. It actually feels good while it is being stretched.

Catherine, at my wife's office they are having bird problems like you mentioned. If the owl does not work try a picture of Elmer Fudd with a shotgun.

Enjoy the studio. The dust means progress. We re-drywalled our first house's living room and extended it onto the porch (old farm house). Rachel was going to help me but in the first week she was found to be with child and the dust nauseated her. So I lost my helper and my cook. We ate out so often for so long we got sick of it.

Deb, enjoy the show and your awards. Wear something really strange. Your an artist and people expect that.

Jenna, nice cat drawing or scratching (not sure what to call it)

Robert, that looks like it will turn out pretty cool.

Hi to everyone else too.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Jim, ah, drywall... sooooo much fun...
My hubby just bought a little gadget that seems like a miracle cure for his back so far... I have to go look up the name and website, and will PM it to you... might be helpful, who knows?
Maybe I could wear my purple leopard print fleece pajama pants to the opening?

I had mentioned in some post recently about watching how value relationships and color saturation change with distance. I found this little demo I did for a workshop, and thought I would share it here, in case SEEING what I was talking about might be helpful to anybody.
This is just on a piece of loose canvas, which was rolled up in a drawer, so sorry for the "role-y" appearance.

So there's the barn and tree, with a cast shadow from the barn on the grass.. Beside each image, I've painted squares of those values, so you can really see how things change with distance.
The top row is barn shadow side and light side.
The second row is tree shadow side and light side
The third row is grass, cast shadow, and sunlight
The bottom row is the dark of the barn door.

(this photo isn't perfect.. the grass values should be lighter overall, but just bear with me)

Notice two things:
1. As things recede into distance, the colors lose their saturation. Even the same object (barn, for example) will not be the same color further away as it is close up. compare the close up barn swatches with the distant barn swatches. Think of the air that is between us and whatever object in the distance as being layers of sheer curtain hung - the further the distance, the more layers of curtain, and so things get lighter and grayer and edges get softer... we're looking through lots of atmospheric curtains. Yellows turn duller, often a greenish gray, blues get lighter and grayer, reds lose their warm red color and start to turn dull purple. Eventually, given enough distance, everthing fades to a pale gray.

2. The values between light side and shadow side get closer. While there may be alot of contrast close up, as things get further away, the difference between what is in light and what is in shadow gets less distinct.. sometimes the only difference is a color temperature change, rather than a value change.

okay, 3 things... There is also less detail as things move away from us. While we might see windows and door casings close up, way in the distance, those small details become lost in the larger mass. And, as I mentioned, edges get softer.

Here's another shot. I cut out the close up barn and pasted it into the distance. Notice how the values of the barn and tree now do not match. They just don't look right now..
This just illustrates that EVERYTHING in a given plane has to relate in terms of value. Where this often gets us is in painting in a shadow in the distance, or any kind of dark accent. we paint them too dark. Those darks will never be as dark far away as they are close up.

my blog
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Deb, what a great tool! Thank you!!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

OK, finally taking the time to show you these.

Enjoy!

First pic is of flowers in my back yard. They are a type of succulent, kinda like Ice Plant. They are brilliant orange.

Here's a deer we found sleeping in his bed. He's bald headed right now, the deer have dropped their antlers.

The next three are of Mariposa Lilies. These beauties bloom only when the temperature and moisture are right. Apparently they are happy!

I don't know if you will be able to see it, but spread all through this pic is bright orange dots - Mariposa Lilies. We had a blast that day!

And this is a hedgeghog cactus - also in my yard.

Last edited by KJSieloff : 04-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

And here's more critters....

Big range bull...

Calves...

This bull had an itch!

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Catherine1

Robert.. Just awesome! I love how these works of yours look! Oh.. Is your paper on roll? Or just extra long? What is FUGUE?

Jen Of course we all will be expecting birth announcements and updates on your piece. The scratch board looks like so much fun and I love the subject.. Cat! Why of course it has to be cat.. Cat scratch board. Makes perfect sense.

Donald.. So.. If you can see pages faster.... You will paint faster.. Where do I sign up? Though I know your pain.

Hi Kate.. You tell her gal! Ditto..

Linda.. I don't mind the bird if I don't stay up till 3am painting... Normally I'm up before he is... Old farm habit I have not been able to break.

Jim.. Sorry about your having to be put to The Rack.. Hope it helps and you feel better long term. I only got headaches from it.. Didn't get any taller either, bummer.
Joe is applying the primer today.. Whoo hoo!! I'm sure it will take three days to clean the house from dust and then start the staining and varnish. So.. a few more weeks. then all the shelves and cupboards.

Deb. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb
Maybe I could wear my purple leopard print fleece pajama pants to the opening?
Only if you promise to post pictures.
Go have a good time.. and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to hear all about it.!! I'm excited for you!

I better get off of here. I'm tired.. The bird has a name.. "Stupid Bird" The owl in the window worked initially. He just moved over one window.. So.. I owled the second window, and he went back to the first window. We nixed taking somewhere. After all they are migratory creatures and he would find his way back. I wonder if someone should tell him I have a cat?

Have a wonderful day everyone!