Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Glue used to put canvas on wood?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    SilverLady

Help again.

What kind of glue will I use to put canvas onto luan?

SilverLady

Silverlady

Only God painted perfect pictures. I enjoy them daily
        I paint to have fun. Happiness is a brush in the hand with a little color on it and something to put it on.

Artguy29

Here is an excerpt from Larry Seiler’s article on making a canvas board:

“There are a number of adhesives that can be used to apply canvas to the board. I have tried Elmer’s Glue…but, it dries unevenly, and haven’t had much luck prevently the canvas from shifting and buckling in spots. Recently, it was reported on the “Oil Paint” forum of Wetcanvas! that there is a cornstarch in Elmer’s that will give you problems down the road.
            Some use rabbitskin glue, which is the traditional method. I heard last year though that a form of bacteria can literally eat this glue, which is a form of protein.

I have had great success using Acrylic Medium which dries fast without buckling, and holds strong. Here you see me applying the medium liberally over the whole surface of the board panel…”

The article can be found here if you’re interested: https://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/532/110/

Dave

DebSpinks

Acrylic medium makes an excellent glue for this purpose. Gloss medium is “stickier” than matte.

Debra

Debra
                Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
                Debra Spinks Art on Facebook & Instagram

Guide

This month in American Artists Mag. there is an article on gluing canvas to aluminum panels. They show a product called Miracle Muck. I would assume that this would also work on other backings as well. Take a look at page 58 and see what you think. According to the article below it can be used on all sorts of surfaces. Worth a look see.

http://www.sourcetek-art.com/products001.htm#Anchor3

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Enchanted

“There are a number of adhesives that can be used to apply canvas to the board. I have tried Elmer’s Glue…but, it dries unevenly, and haven’t had much luck prevently the canvas from shifting and buckling in spots.

I have had no such problems using Elmer’s glue for this purpose and find it much more useful than acrylic medium for the purpose. I do soak my canvas first, saturating it with water, before laying it onto the board coated with the Elmer’s (or similar PVA products) glue. And making a sandwich and weighting it with heavy weights (full gallon cans of paint will do it) is essential. My panels are dry and ready to gesso in 24 hours.

NOTE: I pre-shrink the cotton canvas I am going to use to avoid the shrinkage causing the board to warp after gluing it down. I do that by soaking the piece of canvas in water and letting it dry out, before re-soaking it for glueing it down.

Bertoni

Silverlady:
                            I’ve had good luck with Acrylic Matte Gel medium. I guess the glossy gel medium would work as well! The canvas I used is the new Fredrix watercolor canvas that I get in 18×24 sheets. :)

Bertoni

SilverLady

Thanks to all.
                                Dave: I read the aritcle. Very interesting and informative.

I bought another sheet of luan and had it cut up into different sizes. I found someone who makes real wood frames. Cheaper than the framing shops, so it does not matter what size I cut the wood.
                                Still having fun.

I will work on all this, Sunday. Will let you know how it comes out.

SilverLady

By the way. I don’t like painting on wood. I painted something on wood that had two coats of Gesso on it.

I think I prefer the canvas texture.

SilverLady

Any of these photos can be used by anyone for their projects. Right click on the photo you like and then save to your documents. Then you will have it forever. “smile”

Reference Photos-Birds
                                Grand Isle
                                Grand Isle
                                Grand Isle
                                Lake Martin
                                Reference Pictures
                                Reference Pictures 2
                                Reference Pictures 3

Silverlady

I paint to have fun. Happiness is a brush in the hand with a little color on it and something to put it on.

Donald_Smith

Just thought I would add a little something to this thread. My favorite thing to paint on is wood with 100% polyesther glued to it. I’ve tried gessoed wood, and it’s too slick. Canvas is a little rough, but the polyesther is a happy medium. I wash it with bakeing soda to nutralize any acids, then rinse in clean water, and dry in the dryier. I’ve used gesso, (doesn’t glue very well), and the acrylic medium per Larry’s instructions. I like the acrylic medium, but it is a bit pricey for my budget. I’m still looking for something that wont cause problems 100 years or more from now, but doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Someone once suggested sealing wood with polyurathane. I’ve got some that is water based, but I don’t know it’s PH. Does anyone know if it would be good for sealing wood before glueing a cloth to it?

Thanks,
                                    Don

"We are never really happy until we try to brighten the lives of others." Helen Keller
                                    A Painter's Quest

Hi all. Sorry for this ‘stupid question’ but what is acrylic gel medium? I mean, there are several listed at ‘Art Supply Warehouse’ but I don’t know what one to buy for the adhering stuff to supports thing. One that is listed as a heavy gel says it holds peaks in paint but not sure if it could be used as a glue.

Somebody tell me the brand name and exactly what to buy rather than just saying acrylic gel medium. Would any acrylic gel medium work? Is that why the term is used so genericly? :confused:

Sorry, new to all this :) but I want to try to use watercolor paper instead of canvas. Anything I should know about wcpaper?

Thanks

prospector

Sorry, new to all this :) but I want to try to use watercolor paper instead of canvas. Anything I should know about wcpaper?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I had the same thing in mind. I like to paint on 300 lb cold press WC paper with acrylics, and casein, but would like to mount the WC paper to hardboard so it could be framed without glass. I use Golden matt medium. Would that work glueing WC paper to hardboard?

Jack

Enchanted

Somebody tell me the brand name and exactly what to buy rather than just saying acrylic gel medium. Would any acrylic gel medium work? Is that why the term is used so genericly? :confused:

For the purposes of “gluing” you need not use the gel. Plain old acrylic medium (varnish is another word for it) will do the trick.

The term “gel” tells you it is a thickened acrylic medium which has no extra benefit when used as a glue. The “gel” allows one to paint in an “impasto” technique similar to how one paints in impasto with oil paints.

In addition to the gels, there are also even thicker acrylic “mediums” marketed as “molding pastes” or alternatively “modeling pastes.”

Peter G

I have been gluing old cotton bedsheets to MDF for a year now and it is a good surface to paint on when coated with Gesso. I have used a PVA glue without any issues arising so far

Regards
                                                Peter G

SilverLady

No wonder I joined this site. Best thing I ever done. “smile”

A friend uses carpenters glue. Any thoughts on that?

I do find all I need to know, right here.

Thanks to all of you for you help. It has helped me grow. I just love the brutality of the truth. Am learning and pretty fast, all because of all of you.

Thanks again. I am in the process of painting a large canvas now and have orders for 5 more. I am excited. Who would have thought that in 2 years, I went from Wal Mart paints, brushes and an idea.

Encouraging all new artist. You can do it.

SilverLady

Been out to Lake Martin.

Silverlady

Guide

I recently started to use a 1/4″ plywood with a surface of poplar, it could be maple, poplar or anyother knotless wood, It can be gessoed and then painted. It is an amazing surface. Thinking about it more I thought I might want to add canvas to the surface and then use that. I took a cut piece of the plywood and then spread it with gel medium on the main surface. I then embedded the the canvas. To be sure it adhered well the turned it over so the canvas was down onto a piece of paper, weighted it with bricks and allowed it to dry thoroughly. After 24 hours I then applied the same medium to the edges and back and did a attachement to the back of the panel with the overage of the canvas. I did use “pinking” sheers to cut the piece of canvas. I then put the wrapped side down on the paper, placed another piece of the plywood on the top and then again used bricks to weigh it down. Worked well, no issues of bubbles of separation. Hope it works as well for all of you.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                                        The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                                        "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                                        "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

I’d like to clear up some things which sounded confusing to me. Acrylic medium is very different from “varnish”. A true varnish for artist use should be a reversible coating used as the final layer in a painting. Called acrylic medium “varnish” only serves to confuse people.

The term “acrylic gel medium” is a very broad category meant to include the entire range of products, from thin, pourable products to thick pastey ones. Molding or Modeling Pastes are gels with a filler added, normally marble dust. Molding Paste therefore is opaque and more rigid than thickened acrylic medium because of these added solids.

Attaching canvas to panel can be tricky because you want to apply enough product to act as a glue, but not so much that it’s squishing around and causing an uneven surface or dripping all over the place. IF you don’t use enough, you run the risk of not getting a good bond or having an air pocket.

My process is as follows:

First, coat both the panel and side of the canvas to be attached with an acrylic medium. I use a product called Soft Gel Gloss because it’s almost pourable but not as messy as a liquid medium). This is my personal preference. Others may use something like Polymer Medium or Matte Medium, or even use a thicker Gel for this purpose, but the Soft Gel seems easiest to me. Be sure to either tape to staple the canvas down because the acrylic will shrink the canvas as it dries and cause a permanent warping if it’s not secured. By sealing these surfaces first, it means the two substrates will be much easier to be attached with the actual layer of “glue”.

Second, lay down a piece of heavy plastic (polyethylene plastic is what it’s officially called, but it’s the common construction plastic from the hardware store). Then lay the canvas down on the plastic, with the side to be attached facing you. Apply the gel evenly and quickly. Use a water mister bottle to spritz water if the canvas is large to keep the gel from drying until you’re ready to attach the two objects.

Third, place the panel onto the canvas and assure it’s smooth and even. Wipe excess gel from the edges. I put weight on the board to keep them pressed firm. Then LEAVE IT ALONE for as long as you can, at least for a couple of hours. Once it seems pretty dry, I’ll flip the canvas and panel over to let it dry more. You have to be careful because it’s most likely that all of the water hasn’t left the film yet.

My method is a multistep process, because I want the surface to be perfect first, and then I’ll repeat the process to fold the edges back, like I was just stretching any other canvas onto bars. I glue the flaps, then use the board to even it out and place weight on top of it all until it’s dry like before. Some people will just cut the canvas at the edge, but I think this leads to a corner peeling up later on, so I fold the edges over.

Then the surface is ready to be prepped with gesso and painted.

Mike Townsend
                                                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Glue used to put canvas on wood?’ is closed to new replies.