Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Grinding Colors and Making Oil Paint

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    georgeoh

Ultramarine Blue
        Ultramarine blue pigment is one of the more difficult pigments to disperse in oil when trying to obtain a paste or buttery consistency. It gets either stringy, long or fluid in consistency. When adding oil to a small pile of the pigment on a grinding surface, at first it may not wet easily, then suddenly it becomes soft and fluid. I have found that if you have ultramarine color in this state, put it aside for a week in a closed can or wide mouth jar. Then bring it our once again and grind it further, adding a little more pigment to the mixture, if necessary, to develop a thick paste.

Genuine Vermilion and Cinnabar
        The problem encountered when dispersing heavy inorganic pigments, such as vermilion, is separation from binder. To prevent this some manufacturers would add beeswax or stearates to the oil.

Cadmium Yellow
        The proportions of mixing and grinding medium cadmium yellow in oil should be 74 percent by weight of dry pigment and 26 percent by weight of refined linseed oil. When using raw linseed oil, and under certain conditions, as, for instance, in the case of a very bulky yellow (it appears very fluffy), 30 percent of oil and 70 percent of pigment will produce a paste. Poppy seed or walnut oil may be substituted for linseed oil. In all cases, be sure and grind this mixture well to prevent separation while it is stored in the tube. It would not be too lengthy to grind this mixture continuously for an hour with a muller.

When you to want to make an “extended” cadmium yellow, 40 percent oil should still produce a paste that when thinned will provide good covering power. The extending material for cadmium yellow is principally barytes, although calcium carbonate (whiting or chalk), terra alba or bentonite may be used. A good formula for extending medium cadmium yellow to achieve a lighter tone is 30 percent by weight of medium cadmium yellow, 45 percent of blanc fixe and 25 percent of refined linseed oil.

A Word About Mullers and Grinding
        I recommend getting the heaviest muller possible. Keep in mind that while grinding the aim is to achieve shear force, which requires lateral movement rather than downward pressure. The weight of the muller will help you grind without having to bear down on the muller. Use your strength to grind across the grinding surface rather than applying downward force.

Get in the practice of using a hard rubber or plastic spatula to scrape the surface and collect the paint into a pile. The iron in steel spatulas may react with certain pigments, such as sulfide pigments. You can always use a steel spatula for clean up.

Using Additives
        generally, there is little need for additives, such as aluminum hydroxide or wax, unless you want to adjust the rheological properties of paint. Let me explain: What you are essentially doing when mixing powdered pigment with binder is punching many tiny holes into the fluid and then displacing some of the fluid with the pigment. A second operation is breaking up agglomerates and aggregates of pigment particles into discrete or basic particles. This requires an amazing amount of shear force to accomplish and this is precisely what the muller does on the grinding slab. It applies shear or tearing force to the pigment particles and vehicle in order to achieve a homogeneous mixture.

There is a third problem when it comes to dispersing pigments: overcoming the surface energy of particles. The greatest contribution to viscosity of any dispersion is due to the particular nature of the pigment. Particle size is also an important contributing factor. The smaller the particle size the more surface area and hence more energy to overcome in order to wet pigment particles. Conversely, the larger the particle size, the lower the surface area and the surface energy, and easier it is to wet. It is also less likely for larger primary particles to form new agglomerates. Consequently, larger particle-sized pigments exhibit lower viscosity and increased flow relative to their small particle-sized counterparts.

George O'Hanlon
        georgeoh

Grinding Ultramarine Blue
            Native ultramarine blue, or lazurite (also known as lapis lazuli), many times lacks the brilliancy of the best artificial grades available today. We have found an exception to this rule in the premium lazurite from Chile offered by Natural Pigments.

In oil, native ultramarine or lazurite is more transparent, while the artificial pigment is more opaque and greater tinting power. The reason for this is that the native pigment typically contains calcite, which is transparent in oil. The native pigment can also be granular in texture and somewhat refractory in grinding. Natural Pigments lazurite from Chile is very pure and has the highest tinting strength of any native lapis lazuli. The average particle size of the native Chilean blue from Natural Pigments is 20 microns. While this is larger than the artificial product, which can be less than 5 microns, any smaller granularity in the native pigment would loose the unique quality of the native pigment, this quality being impurities, such as pyrite, which can glitter like stars in the paint.

To grind native ultramarine in oil it will be found that 60 percent by weight of oil to 40 percent of pigment is a good average to figure on, but as the specific gravity varies considerably these figures cannot to be relied upon as an absolute. For Natural Pigments lazurite from Chile, use 65 percent by weight of pigment to 35 percent of oil as a good starting point.

There is an incredible variety of artificial ultramarine blues on the market today and available in a large number of grades. There are two distinctive processes of preparing this pigment, one being known as sulfate ultramarine, the other as soda ultramarine, the latter having a violet undertone, the former leaning to a greenish tint. In either process, the constituents are nearly similar, comprising kaolin, sodium sulfate, sodium carbonate, sulfur, carbon, quartz and infusorial earth. Not all of these are used in one operation, if, for instance, quartz is used infusorial earth is omitted and vice versa.

Sulfate ultramarine blue may be recognized by its having a slightly greenish-blue undertone when ground in oil, while soda ultramarine blue has a violet-blue character. The better grades of soda ultramarine blue are preferred for tinting whites, because the whites are not so apt to become greenish.

For grinding ultramarine blue in oil, the one that has the strongest tinting power should be selected and the average mixing will require 67 percent by weight of pigment to 33 percent by weight of linseed oil. This ratio of pigment to oil is only a starting point, because each grade of ultramarine blue and the type of oil used will vary the amount of oil absorbed. Refined linseed oil is preferable to raw or boiled oil, as it will give the blue a clearer tone and appearance.

For an exceptional clear appearance and to prevent any greenish cast in the oil color, use refined walnut oil or poppy seed oil. Separation of oil and pigment can be avoided if the blue is ground in a mixture of 75 parts refined walnut oil or poppy seed oil and 25 parts of heat-bodied oil or stand oil, which will aid the drying time of the color; 65 parts by weight of ultramarine blue to 35 parts by weight of the oil mixture will be about the right proportion.

As noted above, ultramarine blue pigment is one of the more difficult pigments to disperse in oil when trying to obtain a paste or buttery consistency. It can become stringy or “long” or very fluid in consistency. When adding oil to a pile of the powder pigment on a grinding surface, at first it may not wet easily, forming a crumbly mass, then suddenly become soft and fluid. We have found that if you have ultramarine color in this state, put it aside for a week in a closed can or wide mouth jar. Then bring it our again and grind it further, adding a little more pigment to the mixture, if needed, to develop a thicker paste.

George O'Hanlon
            georgeoh

Genuine Vermilion and Cinnabar
                For artists’ grade color, use the best grade of vermilion known as Chinese, or high quality native cinnabar, both of these pigments are available from Natural Pigments. Vermilion is the name of the artificial pigment, while cinnabar is the designation of the native mineral, both of which are chemically red mercuric sulfide (II).

To grind vermilion or cinnabar, 86 parts by weight of the dry pigment to 14 parts by weight of linseed oil, walnut oil or poppy seed oil is about the right proportion for mixing. Due to the heavy specific gravity, the pigment separates from the oil in tubes and some have resorted to using wax with the oil to keep pigment and oil together in storage, and while this can be employed successfully, you may have trouble with the color on account of the presence of the wax. The drying of oil can be seriously impaired by wax. Stearates are also effective in preventing separation. A better and safer plan is to grind the pigment in part linseed oil, walnut oil or poppy seed oil and part heat-bodied linseed oil, such as is used in making lithographers’ ink. The proportion of the two oils varies considerably depending upon the viscosity of the heat-bodied linseed oil. You can later thin this color with gum turpentine for easier brushing without impairing the gloss or life of the color.

George O'Hanlon
                nick-50

I am starting slowly to make my own paints, my last batch of white has turned out superbly using safflower oil. I take on board what you say as regards the muller, but I use a small muler, which is quite adequate I find.I think it may be worth mentioning that one of the greatest assets to mulling paint, is the surface tension of the muller in the actual pigment. If it is kept perfectly square and flat during the mulling proccess, the force that is acquired by surface tension alone, is enough I think to offset using a small as opposed to a large muller. It does all need practice as I found.
                    I am awaiting some cold pressed linseed oil,( German, kremer, very pale colour) and will attempt to wash this, to its best state of purity. This I will use certainly for my whites but also my earths and blues etc. I think it is the ultimate for oil paints, though other binders are more than satisfactory. Any comments on this are most welcome

georgeoh

…cold pressed linseed oil… I think it is the ultimate for oil paints, though other binders are more than satisfactory.

Why do you think cold-pressed linseed oil is the “ultimate” for oil paints?

George O'Hanlon
                        nick-50

I infer from your question, you have other views to my own (prejudices, misconceptions?) on this. I started using old holland paints, after trying w&n, and did lot of reading especially this website, as to properties of the various brands, but I seem to find as many seem to do, that cold pressed linseed, gave a different handling quality to the paint, . I have mixed some loveley titanium white using safflower oil, so i agree, it is the painting that counts, but maybe there is some element of wanting to get the most out of ones materials. I suppose one may also ask, why do some use different mediums and such , and some very few.

georgeoh

I infer from your question, you have other views to my own (prejudices, misconceptions?) on this.

No misconceptions or prejudices about cold-pressed linseed oil. We have gained much experience in making paint using a wide range of pigments and variety of oils. We have noticed that there is a pervasive concept that cold-pressed linseed oil is the best to use for making one’s own paint. Some cite different reasons with offering much rationalization. Others cite that it has greater pigment wettability than other oils due to the high acid content. The interesting thing is that almost none of the paint manufacturers use cold-pressed linseed oil to make paint. One would wonder if all the paint manufacturers are wrong and a small group of artists are correct. So why is this? There are a wide range of industrial linseed oils available to paint manufacturers that offer high acid content, yet have been suitably aged and refined to remove the “foots” or mucilage. There is very little color in these oils and they handle quite well on the brush. Whereas, raw cold-pressed linseed oil has a high acid content, it is very yellow and contains many impurities that must be removed.

George O'Hanlon
                                nick-50

I am trying to get the bethough it needs patience. I would like to get the benfits of using cp linseed for my whites as well as my other pigments. I have heard and my limited exsperience has shown that cold pressed linseed has quite different characteristics from other binders. it has I believe a different more intense light refractivity, than say safflower. Maybe one can be too fussy over this subject when it is the actual painting that matters but i feel that when one is deeply involved with a painting, the paint, the medium, all aspects of it, become one with us, and one can be a bit obsessive about ones materials. Or am i, like the Jesuits of old, trying to count the angels on the head of a pin?

georgeoh

I have heard and my limited experience has shown that cold-pressed linseed has quite different characteristics from other binders. It has I believe a different more intense light refractivity, than say safflower.

What other binders have you compared it to? More intense light refractivity? I am not sure how you mean this in this context. If you are referring to the refractive index of cold-pressed linseed oil as compared to that of refined linseed oil or aged linseed oil, then there is almost no difference, none at least this is perceptible by the unaided eye. The difference between it and other drying oils is also small and would only make a difference with pigments that have very low refractive indexes, not most whites like lead white and titanium white.

George O'Hanlon
                                        nick-50

Thank you for putting me right on this, George, i must bear this in mind. perhaps i am victim of a fad, I don’t know, but one thing, I am learning to think rather than just paint!

georgeoh

The point is that while the romantic appeal of refining your own raw, cold-pressed linseed oil and the excitement of seeing mucilage separate from solution may be overwhelmingly popular for some artists who also claim to get back to the roots of art (funny thing is that these same artists only use modern synthetic pigments with this homegrown oil), it is not necessarily achieving a superior paint binder. Refined linseed oil with medium acid content makes a superior paint, because it yellows less, forms tougher paint films and contains sufficient acid to wet even the most finely divided organic pigments.

George O'Hanlon
                                                nick-50

I think a good part of all this, is to want to create something for oneself, the satisfaction of the craft aspect of painting. Whilst it is easy to get something from a tube or bottle what greater satisfaction than to make that same thing oneself to high standards, like baking bread maybe. The craft aspect may not appeal to some, but perhaps some of us are chasing something elusive that may reign partly or wholly in the mind, some holy grail or some alchemical recipe that will, add some magic to ones work. I can say this of myself to some degree, if that is a criticism I accept it. I have perhaps said enough of this subject.
                                                    May i say your discussion above on grinding colours is most worthy and useful.

Dharma_bum

George—What oil do you recommend for a beginer at paint making? Do you find cetrain pigments do better in one oil than another? Do you have a source you particularly like? I didn’t see oil available on your site, did I miss it?

Dan

[FONT=Garamond]Comments and critiques are most welcome.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean

georgeoh

I think a good part of all this, is to want to create something for oneself, the satisfaction of the craft aspect of painting.

There is no doubt about the benefit of creating something yourself. In fact, that is what we encourage artists to do, and Natural Pigments provides not only the tools and materials to do so, but also the information. However, there is a lot of misinformation and so we encourage artists to arm themselves with good information that will benefit them. We hear many artists shake the magic rattle of certain mediums and oils—raw, cold-pressed linseed oil, being one of them. We recommend artists to try CP linseed oil, but there is no need particular benefit to using it over refined linseed oil.

What oil do you recommend for a beginner at paint making? Do you find certain pigments do better in one oil than another? Do you have a source you particularly like? I didn’t see oil available on your site, did I miss it?

Dan, it is strange to us that most artists’ materials manufacturers use terms to describe oil mediums that have not been in use by industry for nearly a century. For example, manufacturers of linseed oil products today do not use terms, such as stand oil. In fact, in a conversation with a research scientist at ADM (one of the world’s largest producers of linseed oil products) the other day, he did not know what stand oil was. Only after I described it as highly viscous, heat-bodied oil did he understand what it was. This shows us that artists’ materials manufacturers continue to avoid educating artists’ on things that they themselves must understand in order to make modern colors.

So, what do we recommend for making oil colors? It depends upon the pigments, but as a starting point, we recommend special aged linseed oil, available from ADM and Cargill. Unfortunately, these companies cannot small quantities of these products to artists. At present, Natural Pigments only sells mediums and oils from other manufacturers, such as Gamblin, who still labels such viscous oil products as stand oil. However, by the end of March we will offer a range of oils, such as special aged oil, heat-bodied oils, and conjunctive oils from these companies under our label, but with complete specifications and guidance to choose what is best for different pigments.

George O'Hanlon
                                                            georgeoh

How much hand grinding is needed to form satisfactory pigment dispersions in drying oil vehicle? Moreover, how can you tell when sufficient grinding has been done? The answers to these questions are not simple to provide and depend upon the pigment and vehicle selected for hand grinding. However, I can provide some general guidelines that may help artists in this task:

When adding oil to the pile of dry powder pigment on the stone slab or glass plate, do so drop wise (drop-by-drop), mixing the oil with a spatula or palette knife, until all the pigment powder is incorporated and the mixture has a stiff, dough-like consistency. DO NOT ADD MORE OIL TO THE MIXTURE AT THIS POINT. The mixture will appear too stiff for painting, but this is all right, because the stiff mass creates more shear forces as it is kneaded and, as the pigment particles are wetted, it will relax and become more plastic.

Knead this mixture for some time with the spatula or palette knife, carefully observing changes in the consistency of the mass. For most pigments, you should observe a slight yet noticeable change from a stiff consistency to one that is softer and plastic. Continue kneading the mass, as the change in consistency indicates that agglomerates of pigment particles are breaking down into smaller ones and more pigment particle surfaces are being presented for wetting by the vehicle.

If you do not notice any further change in the consistency of the mass, stop kneading it with the spatula or palette knife. Some pigments, such as ultramarine blue or lapis lazuli (natural ultramarine blue), are refractory and difficult to grind to the right consistency. The best approach to grinding such pigments is to knead the mass until no further change is observed in its consistency and then allow the mixture to “sweat.” Sweating is a paint maker’s term for allowing the pigment-vehicle mixture to stand for a period. Cover the mixture with a plastic film and let it stand overnight. Some pigment agglomerates simply require time to allow the air in their interstices to escape and for the vehicle to wet their surfaces.

If the well-kneaded mass has the consistency of stiff yet plastic paste (somewhere between dough and toothpaste), then you are ready to begin grinding the mixture with a muller. If the mixture is too stiff for grinding with the muller, then add more vehicle drop-by-drop. Knead the mixture between drops of oil to check the consistency of the mass. It typically takes only a few drops to turn a stiff dough-like mass into a runny liquid so caution in adding more vehicle is necessary.

Stiff paste is the best word to describe the consistency of the pigment-vehicle mixture that is best suited for hand grinding with the muller. It should be slight more stiff than you would use for painting. It will become more fluid as you grind, so avoid the temptation to add more vehicle at this point.

Gather the mixture into a pile at the center of the slab or plate and begin grinding with the muller in circular motions. Some may advise that you grind in figure-eight motions or other fancy gyrations. It makes little difference as long as you grind all of the mixture thoroughly.

Periodically, using the spatula or palette knife, gather the mixture back together at the center as you spread it around on the slab or plate when grinding.

As you grind the mixture, you will notice a distinct change in the consistency of the paint:

[*]At first, pigment agglomerates will make small tracks in the mixture as you grind. You will see these begin to disappear entirely or at least become fewer in number. They may never disappear entirely, even if you grind from now until you wear a hole in the plate. Do not worry; you may never completely rid yourself of them and in themselves do not indicate a poor dispersion, because some may be large discrete particles of pigment and do not ruin the paint or decrease its brushability.

[*]Initially, the paint should have a stiff paste-like consistency. As you grind with the muller, the paint will become more plastic and flowing. If it becomes runny and liquid, then you may have added too much oil. No problem, because you can add more pigment to the mixture. The only problem with adding more pigment at this stage is that it will increase the time needed to grind the paint.

[*]The paint will usually have a dull mat surface before you grind. As the grinding proceeds, the surface of the paint will become glossy when you stop grinding and it is allowed to rest. This indicates that pigment particles are being wetted and are “sinking in” to the vehicle.

[*]There will be a distinct change in the sounds emanating from the grinding. It may initially sound like sand grinding on the plate surface and then soften and become more quite. This alone does not indicate that the paint mass has been sufficiently ground and a good dispersion has been achieved. The reason is quite simple; some pigments never cause the sound of sand grinding while others never quite stop making this sound. It all depends on the hardness of the pigment being ground. Some mineral pigments are very hard, such as azurite, malachite and earth pigments containing a small amount of silica (sand). In any case, a distinct change in the sound should be noticed while you are grinding with the muller.

If after grinding for some time the consistency of the paint does not soften to the viscosity that you prefer for painting, then add more vehicle, but do so drop wise and check the consistency after every one or two drops.

After observing the four characteristics noted above while grinding and you do not notice further changes in them, you most likely have achieved the best dispersion possible with hand grinding. You can congratulate yourself for hard work accomplished.

George O'Hanlon
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Grinding Colors and Making Oil Paint’ is closed to new replies.