Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting canvas absorbency

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    thirukumaranv

How important is canvas absorbency in Alla-Prima painting? I don’t find many painting tutorials(books/internet) discuss about the absorbency of the canvas. but while actually painting, I find that absorbency affects a few things. I used to paint over a self-prepared canvas where, i used to prime a cloth with ‘glue+plaster of Paris’. This used to be a pretty absorbent surface. it lacked the ‘luminosity/slickness’ but I could clearly paint over it with another layer of paint with minimal disturbance to the underlying paint layer(particularly when the underlying layer is very thin and still wet). This gave a lot of flexibility on the over painting(not archival at all!).
        Recently i started using proper ready-primed canvas. i think ready primed surface has a reasonable absorbency that was helpful in over-painting. But i disliked the canvas texture, so i decided to add another coat of acrylic gesso to add some texture. But it seems to get too slick to paint over acrylic gesso. after a laying in a turpentine wash, i can cleanly swipe it off and get a white ground again(barely noticeable stain remains), it is that slick. it seems to feel a bit rubbery. In some books I read that lead priming(though toxic) is the best surface to paint on. In some of the photos of lead primed canvas, I can see them to be slightly porous – I assume its slightly more absorbent. I could be wrong here. I have never used lead priming.
        I can see in some video tutorials, painters over-painting with ease over the thinner underlying layer with minimum disturbance.
        I am really confused whether the issue is with my technique or with the canvas absorbency. I need some guidance here. Should the canvas be that slick and should I look at my painting technique rather than the surface? Is there any other gesso-like primer that will solve the absorbency problem?

TIA!(Sorry if this is already discussed, please re-direct!)

Gigalot

Is there any other gesso-like primer that will solve the absorbency problem?

Rub a thin layer of Fast Matte Alkyd titanium, designed to use in underpaintings, into acrylic surface. That helps.
            I do not have special Alkyd paint for that purpose, not available here. But I can use housepaint Alkyd enamel to do that. Housepaint formulations are fast-drying and adhesive paints.

JamieWG

How important is canvas absorbency in Alla-Prima painting?

It really depends on the approach you want to use for your alla prima work. Some prefer a surface where they can wipe back to the white of the canvas or board, and use that capability to create their underpainting. Others want a more absorbent surface. (Check out Arches Oil Paper if you want something that sucks in your paint. Yikes!!!) There is no “one size fits all” with regard to absorbency, so your tastes and your approach will determine what’s best for your technique.

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                [/url]
                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

thirukumaranv

Thanks Gigalot and Jamie for the replies! :)
                    Gigalot, The housepaint suggestion looks good. I even thought about that, but i don’t know how archival it is. probably, i should give it a try!. Fast Matte Alkyd titanium sounds interesting. i will check out if that is available locally.
                    Jamie, sorry for not making the question pretty clear first. I do try to wipe-off sometimes, but rarely. I understand the trade-off. my preferred surface would be ‘not-too-slick-rubbery’. i certainly don’t want an absorbent surface like paper. i need some flexibility to over-paint. That’s why i was curious about the lead-white priming. i am not sure how it is available commercially(in India? any idea under what names it is sold?)

Gigalot

The housepaint suggestion looks good. I even thought about that, but i don’t know how archival it is. probably, i should give it a try!. Fast Matte Alkyd titanium sounds interesting. i will check out if that is available locally.

But one thing I tested well – I know, my house paint adhere well! This is a thing I can trust 100%. :) The other thing I know – it yellows more than my best Zinc-Titanium White. But I know this thing! I even like to have a bit more yellowish support, it helps to use top-quality white on proper painting area.

thirukumaranv

:) i will try this and let you know the results! thanks again! :)

midwest

I have used WN oil primer over gesso, it dries very slick and self levels.

I got some oil based house painting primer on another batch, and it dried a little bit more porous and shows the brush marks more.

I used a little turp in both.

Kathie :
                              Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • The topic ‘canvas absorbency’ is closed to new replies.