WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
Greeley, Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Paul,
Thank you so much for providing that detail scan. The level of detailing - even at this point is amazing.
As regards the time you're spending on this piece; I'd say it doesn't matter how long it takes. Just that it's done to you and your wife's satisfaction. It's hard to go against our sociological conditioning of trying to receive perfection in a five minute time span. A concept I continually have trouble remembering to set aside, lol!
I'm sure by the time you complete this drawing, get it framed and hung, you will have gained a fulfilling sense of gratification (I hope). This drawing will look as if you'd taken a Harry Potter type of photograph - where the subject is aware and active.

Question: When you say you use the tiny strokes using the tooth of the paper, does that mean you slowly work to add value to the "peaks" of the paper's tooth, not just the "valleys"?

Thanks again for the wonderful WIP - and have a great day!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2004, 06:46 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

hi paul

thanks for showing that close-up - its fabulous - i asked for it as i was trying to understand what you meant about your rendering technique - and i'm still confused, but now i know you are putting her fingerprints in as well then - good grief man, - give us a chance

can't wait for the next installment.

--tracy
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Tracy! I'm glad you appreciated the close up.

Thank you as well Greencook! To answer your question: My main reason for using the tiny-stroke/layering method is to avoid destroying the papers tooth. Depending on what texture I'm trying to achieve I sometimes try to lightly cover the peaks of the tooth leaving light places in the valleys thus creating a grainy or rougher appearance. I do cover both the peaks and valleys in most areas. I just try to leave less graphite in the valleys so the texture is consistent throughout. Again, the main reason for adopting this method was to make the finished piece look more uniform even from inches away. Traditional methods of shading with large strokes back and forth can sometimes break the tooth of the paper causing distracting shiny areas that look odd when the light catches them a certain way.

Paul
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Guernsey, Channel Islands UK

Hails from Guernsey

I'm truly gobsmacked. This is really stunning.
I can hardly believe you did this only in graphite! The hours you must have spent.
I am sooooooooooo sooooooooo impressed!

Fleur
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2004, 01:11 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

I hope that I am phrasing this question in a way that makes sense. Since you are doing so much detail and line work in the hands have you every considered indenting your line work on the hand and especially the finger prints so that the linework are the indentions and then your tone or darker areas are on the outside--it should give you crisp, clean lines. Obviously, don't experiment on this fine piece of work but I was wandering that when you planned out the drawing did you ever consider these types of options?-jayd
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Talking Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Thank you Fleur, you're WAY too kind!

JayD- You're right, your question did confuse me! LOL! Are you suggesting "indenting" the actual surface of the paper to make tiny grooves for the graphite to go in? I'm probably totally off the mark but if that's what your getting at it does sound like it could be possible. Let me know if I understood your message or if not, please try to explain it to this simpleton...

Thanks again!

Paul
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2004, 11:33 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Hey, I am the simpleton--you are a virtual Master--I could not do such work at this point in time--indenting is a trick that colored pencil artist may be more familiar with but you are correct--what you would be doing would be to creat indentions or grooves and then using medium to dark tones to bring out the highlights--the grooves remailn untouched and so present the highlight. You could use this techniques for the the lines in the hands, the fingerprints--stiitches in clothes, animal whiskers, etc... My source is JD Hillberry's Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil. Apparently you would have a use for them that even he would not have thought of. Cheers!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Wow JayD, that sounds interesting! I always enjoyed JD's posts and now I'll have to back and look at his website. I need to buy one of his books.
And I am no "master", LOL, I've spent the better part of my life just trying to have some control over a pencil and I'm still working on that! Thanks again for the "technique" possibility.

Paul
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2004, 01:07 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

hi paul

regarding the 'incising' method that jayD suggested, if you go to sibleyfineart.com and look under his tutorials for 'tools i use' he shows an incisor and how he uses it - if thats any help, also i know other people use blunt darning needles.

-tracy
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2004, 01:25 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

rangerette, thank you!!! I was having trouble articulating--thank you for understanding!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks Tracy, I'll definitely check that out!

Paul
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Here's a quick update- It's getting closer to completion. I still haven't touched the sheet/silk since I last posted. The face is starting to take shape and should be completed with a few more hours.
Paul
Attached Images

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Washington state

Hails from United States

Wonderful drawing! I'm really glad I ran across this thread. I enjoyed the wip.

Bob

www.rstem.com
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast
Greeley, Colorado

Hails from United States

Paul,
This piece is coming along very well.

Comment: Right now, I both like the sharp contrast of values on her face since it provides a dramatic effect. Yet, the sleeping pose seems to be asking for a softer light (IMO).
I get a feeling this would be dawn sunshine coming through an open window, so a fair amount of reflected light would be lighting her right side.

Again, just a comment. The rendition and textures are super. Always enjoy seeing your work.

Have a great day!
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2004, 02:06 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Hey Paul, I haven't seen this thread in a while--youre the fingerprint guy. The piece is lookiing very spiffy. Did you manage to work all that extra detail in? and I love the eyes.